Naz 29-Jun-15
Jeff in MN 01-Jul-15
SILVER BUCK 07-Jul-15
South Farm 09-Jul-15
Jeff in MN 10-Jul-15
29-Jun-15
MINNESOTA DNR NEWS – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE _______ June 29, 2015

DNR accepting applications for 2015 Camp Ripley archery hunts

Hunters can apply starting Wednesday, July 1, for the 2015 regular archery deer hunts at Camp Ripley near Little Falls. The application deadline is Friday, Aug. 14.

Hunters may pick from only one of two hunting seasons: Oct. 15-16 (Thursday and Friday, code 668) or Oct. 31 to Nov. 1 (Saturday and Sunday, code 669). A total of 4,000 permits, with 2,000 per two-day hunt, will be made available. Successful applicants must buy a valid archery license before the beginning of shooting hours the day of their hunt to participate. The bag limit for this year’s hunt is one, and bonus permits may be used to take antlerless deer. Additional rules and instructions for will be posted by July 1 on the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources deer hunting Web page at www.mndnr.gov/hunting/deer.

Hunters may choose from four options to apply for the Camp Ripley archery hunts:

Through any of 1,500 electronic licensing agents located throughout Minnesota. By telephone at 888-665-4236. Through the DNR’s online licensing site, www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses. At the DNR license center, 500 Lafayette Road in St. Paul.

The application fee for the hunt is $12 per applicant. Additional transaction and convenience fees may be applied depending on how the application is made.

To apply, resident hunters 21 and older must provide a valid state driver’s license or public safety identification number. Nonresident hunters must apply using a valid driver’s license number, public safety identification number, or MDNR number from a recent Minnesota hunting or fishing license. Preference will only be given if the same ID is used from previous Camp Ripley applications.

All applicants must be at least 10 years old prior to the hunt. In addition, anyone at least 12 years of age and born on or after Jan. 1, 1980, must have a firearms safety certificate or other evidence of successfully completing a hunter safety course in order to purchase an archery license if successful in the lottery.

Hunters may apply as individuals or as a group of up to four people. Group members may only apply for the same two-day season. The first group applicant must specify “Create New Group” when asked, and will receive a group number. Subsequent group applicants must specify they want to “Join an Existing Group” and must use the same group number supplied to the first group applicant.

The archery hunt at Camp Ripley is an annual event. The DNR coordinates the hunt with the Department of Military Affairs, which manages the 53,000-acre military reservation.

-30-

?

29-Jun-15
Naz-

Thanks for the reminder.

Slow day out on the water???

29-Jun-15
Hi Mike, I haven't been out in more than a week but have to make the time soon, maybe tomorrow but more likely Friday after a midweek north blow settles. North end of Sturgeon Bay's Bank Reef to Baileys Harbor has been a better bet in recent days, but here in Algoma-Kewaunee area after a solid past week it's been hit-and-miss in recent days, good DEEP (300-550 feet) for mixed bags dominated by steelhead and decent at dawn but slows fast inside (70-120 feet) for chinooks and a few lakers. Calm seas and bright moon phase doesn't help, but things can change fast and often do. Check Algoma Wisc. Fishing on Facebook for some nice charter catches nonetheless!

01-Jul-15
Ah, the circus hunt. It is more of an experience than a hunt. Don't count on getting much sleep if you 'camp' in line. Noise from other hunters and sometimes even choppers flying over so low the truck shakes.

Look at the stats for number of deer shot, then calculate the hunter hours spent per deer and just about any us of can do just as well where we usually hunt. But there are a lot of very inexperienced hunters there that I am sure are pulling down the stats and having a blast doing it.

07-Jul-15
I have been on the Ripley hunt twice. Its the Black Friday of hunting. Very much like the land grabs of the old west with wagons all rushing off at once. For me its too much of a waste of time that could be spent elsewhere. You will see hunters walking around all hours of the day, deer running spooked from spot to spot. No Thanks

09-Jul-15
Back in the day they used to shoot some whoppers out of there and I always thought it would be fun to try it at least once, but now I'm more content sitting in my nice quiet woods watching the the critters and mother nature in all her glory.

10-Jul-15
First time there (long ago) we raced to a spot we thought would be good. Went into the woods about 100 yards and found a nice tree with good trails. Put portable up, got settled in for 15 minutes or so and did a short rattling series. Hung the antlers up and looked to my side and there was a dandy 8 pointer looking at me. Took minutes for me to move slow enough to get the bow off the hanger and turned around as he then walked away. That was the high point of the weekend.

It was a hunt with potential but your chances are 95% random and dependent more on what others in the area did than what you did. Even a total idiot hunter had as much chance at seeing a nice one there as a skilled deer hunter would have. Actually bagging it not quite as even of odds as to who would actually make the shot and get their tag on it.

Then, if you do get to shoot a nice one and if it does not die within sight your odds of finding it with a tag on it or just finding a gut pile are pretty good.

• Sitka Gear