stewardship question
Wisconsin
Contributors to this thread:
razorhead 30-Jun-15
Naz 01-Jul-15
Groundblind 02-Jul-15
Naz 06-Jul-15
30-Jun-15
Is there a site, where you can go, and see where this money is going to, and for what.......who really funds this fund?

I was led to believe, that using this fund, should be open use for hunting and fishing and trapping?

I have also read, that they are cutting back on the fund use, because they are trying to be careful with the money....

I just saw an article in the paper, on more land being preserved in Mequon, land being purchased, for a million dollars from religious group, so that it could be preserved.

Well that is fine, but it also said, that out of the stewardship fund, they spent 600,000.00 and other contributors, and it will eventually be turned over to the Audobon Society.........

well my wildlife manager can not get enough funds, to get on projects in his northern area, but yet my money goes to this, and no one is going to hunt or trap that land.....

as usual, something stinks,,,,,

01-Jul-15

Naz 's Link
Vast majority is open to hunting, fishing and trapping. Some smaller, sensitive areas are not, or some urban "trails" etc., but overall most are open. No knowledge of the Mequon one so can't comment on that one.

This link should be of some help.

02-Jul-15
I inquired about a parcel of land in Waukesha county that has been in the stewardship program for about 10 years and was told it is not open to hunting because the land is planned to be turned into a park and campground yet there is no committed timeframe for that project. I could see closing the property to hunting once it is converted to a park and campground but the resource is certainly underutilized in the mean time.

So, I am taunted by a heard of untouchable deer running around not even a half mile down the road from the public land I sit on that I didn't see a single deer on all season last year. I share your frustration of the stewardship program.

06-Jul-15
GB, what's the name and who is the current owner of the parcel you're talking about, and what is the approx. acreage? Urban or rural?

• Sitka Gear