Mike F 29-Jul-15
Turkeyhunter 30-Jul-15
happygolucky 30-Jul-15
HunterR 30-Jul-15
>>>--arrow1--> 06-Aug-15
01-Jul-15

Naz 's Link
Eau Claire, Clark and Jackson ….

Several escaped bucks from the game farm still on the loose. Seems odd the doe was so old yet hadn't developed the classic CWD signs. If they depopulate and no other deer is positive, I'd question the science on the test, or more.

01-Jul-15
Naz do you have an updated map of all the counties in wi that are under a baiting ban and if not can you get one from one of your DNR co-workers and post it here?

IMO the powers that be should just get it over with and ban baiting in the whole state. CWD likely is in every county anyway, and when it's found is just a matter of time and highly dependent on how aggressive testing is. Speaking of baiting and cwd, apparently someone still believes that cwd is not transferred by any way other than baiting? lol. I assume the DNR is planning on showering those counties with free doe tags, bringing in sharp-shooters, scaring the crap out of the public with exaggerations and doom and gloom the sky is falling bs, and maybe even providing dumpsters so hunters can dispose of the day's kill? That should help save deer in those counties and keep people interested in the sport of hunting much like it did under the DNR's management in southern wi. ;-)

But seriously. CWD. Who cares.

01-Jul-15

Mike F's Link
Here is a link to the CWD Website.

Just add the 3 counties listed above to the gray map

01-Jul-15
Buffalo county borders Eau Claire county and imo along with Chippewa should have been banned. However, the outfitters in Buffalo will fight that big time. Just as there are many of them running active mineral sites that the DNR seems to overlook.

01-Jul-15
RutNut

+1

01-Jul-15
Leave the deer farms exist but ban baiting. Genius.......

01-Jul-15
So true Retro. DNR's way of sweeping it under the rug and claiming that they are doing something. I know for a fact that in countries that already have a ban that banning goes on.

01-Jul-15
It will take finding CWD in all 72 counties to get a statewide ban to be put in place. The DNR can only ban it now if CWD is found in captive or wild deer in a county. It's a legislative issue. The DNR's hands are tied. They don't write the laws, just enforce them.

02-Jul-15
HunterR, co-workers? LOL .... good try.

Buffalo is an adjacent county, but not within a 10-mile radius of the farm, apparently. Looking at a map, to affect those three counties only it must be in the far SE corner of Eau Claire County. Trempeleau is closer to that area than Buffalo but perhaps also just outside the 10-mile radius.

02-Jul-15
Sometimes these bans or restrictions are just plain stupid. Take for instance the firewood ban in the state. Because of EAB most campgrounds restrict the bringing of firewood from that county or none can be brought at all. So the state is you cannot transport firewood. Yet why are railroads allowed to haul rail car after rail car of lumber throughtout the whole state and even transport lumber out of state. Look at all those empty rail cars that have a ton of bark and wood pieces left on them and are not cleaned out. For sure it did not all come from that county the rail car is in. Or how about lumber trucks hauling timber to mills across the state. No restrictions.

02-Jul-15
Naz I wasn't "trying" anything, my mistake if you don't work for the DNR, or with them enough to classify some as co-workers. That sure doesn't explain the constant posts apologizing for them and backing them up every chance you get. Besides that, if the DNR doesn't spoon feed you the biased bs you write about who does?

02-Jul-15
A friend had his 80 in Washburn county select cut logged a few years ago. Mostly red oak and maple. The stuff that did not make log quality was sent to a mill for high quality paper a ways into Minnesota. The logs were in unprocessed state. I guess some laws just don't apply to big industry.

I think the CWD virus is spread via that old bark too. Not just via bait piles. ;-)

02-Jul-15
Trapperjack, laws don't apply to railroad companies at all. They do as they please, they make their own laws and rules.

02-Jul-15
I know rutnut, just look at their tracks and see how they spray weed killer 6' on each side of the tracks that kills everything including shrubs and trees. Hate to see how much of that stuff enters the ground water.

02-Jul-15
Not going to fall for it HunterRC

02-Jul-15
"It will take finding CWD in all 72 counties to get a statewide ban to be put in place. The DNR can only ban it now if CWD is found in captive or wild deer in a county. It's a legislative issue. The DNR's hands are tied. They don't write the laws, just enforce them."

Thanks Mike. So the DNR should get on it and find cwd in every county and get this statewide baiting ban in place. That way we wouldn't have these periodic additional "discoveries" that are used to try and put fear in people. No reason to keep trying to get people all excited over something as silly as CWD.

"Not going to fall for it HunterRC"

Funny stuff Naz. But in all honesty I don't think RC is around this forum anymore. I find it odd that you dream him up in so many different posters, as if he's living between your ears 24/7 and you want him to appear.... ;-)

02-Jul-15
Leave the deer farms exist but ban baiting. Genius.......

I don't have a problem with deer farms operating as I believe a person should be able to do what they want with their property, within reason of course. The issue is that their not monitored enough.

02-Jul-15
I have an issue with deer farms when they are a proven threat to the welfare of every wild deer in the state. We THINK that baiting could contribute to the spread of the disease, so we ban it. We KNOW deer farms are a threat but we leave them in operation. This shit keeps happening over and over and over..... But I guess who the hell cares, people have a right to farm deer. That's the main thing I guess.......

02-Jul-15
Are deer on a farm any real threat or is it when they get out? If that's the case then restrictions need to be put in place to make the farms more secure.

02-Jul-15
okay so they find CWD in Waukesha County, which means that no baiting, as I understand it, in counties within 10 miles, so no baiting in Washington County......

now they find it in Eau Claire County, but the same rules do not apply, to the neighboring county of Buffalo,,, am I understanding this right.....

what a joke...........

02-Jul-15
razorhead, from what I have heard Buffalo is farther away than the 10 mile zone. I know the area pretty good, just don't know for sure where the deer farm is. I always thought it was bordering counties, I was unaware of the 10 miles until a few days ago. But in my opinion, they should be proactive and make it bordering counties. You would think IF the outfitters had the health of the deer herd in mind, they would be all for a ban. I know for a fact that several strongly oppose it.

03-Jul-15
What restrictions would guarantee no deer can get out? Who is going to police it? How long will it take to implement? In the meantime, how many more infected deer will escape? Why hasnt this been done already, considering how many times this keeps happening? If this disease is so terrible, why the turned cheek to this obvious threat?

04-Jul-15
WI is the only state which has any kind of law like this baiting ban. Or at least I can not find where other states are blaming one thing for spreading CWD. Not sure why this is. Penalize one group because another group wants it that way is what it sounds like to me. ( Yes I bait in one of the counties I hunt in.)

04-Jul-15
"WI is the only state which has any kind of law like this baiting ban."

That is plain untrue. Many states prohibit baiting due to disease. Some states even ban urine based scents for this reason.

04-Jul-15
I agree Naz, just get it over with and Ban baiting statewide. At the same time, ban feeding in residential areas. I found all the deer in Vilas County this weekend while fishing Lake Minocqua. They were all in one yard on the North end of the Eastern part of the lake. And while I am at it, there is a 5 year walleye ban on the entire Lake Minocqua chain. They found only .48 walleye per acre. Sad situation.

05-Jul-15
A walleye ban on the chain of lakes that use to be the crown jewel. And theres a WHOLE BUNCH of lakes that need the same treatment. Whats Wisconsins solution? Open motor trolling up north. That should help. Of course we have a struggling deer herd up north already and we are going to fix that with a crossbow season I guess. One thing Ive learned from Wisconsin is when you have a struggling resource, keep adding pressure to the resource by creating more user groups with better technology. Wisconsin should be fixed in no time.

05-Jul-15
Minnesota bans baiting statewide but mineral blocks are allowed. In areas where CWD is found the DNR does ban minerals. Very similar to what is done with bait bans in Wisconsin. Not sure if the ban is authorized/required through legislation or if it is done under a commissioners order of some sort.

05-Jul-15
retro-Exactly! Wisconsin or somebody in this state with authority is going to have to come to grips with hunting/fishing practices and emerging technology, especially the use of electronics in hunting and fishing. Until that happens the downward spiral will continue.

05-Jul-15
I can not believe all the guys posting that regulation or new laws prohibiting different tools or techniques is okay. I am wondering when the hunters are going to take some responsibility without new laws forcing them too. Gov't has never helped to solve these types of problems. More laws equal more problems and more hunter against hunter feuding. Just like on this forum. The animal rights groups are fueled off this type stuff.

06-Jul-15
dbl-lung, I don't believe anyone is feuding on this post. Just stating the obvious. There is no denying that as sportsman we have a degree of responsibility for the state of our game and fish numbers. I would rather we talk about it as a collective group and decide what is best for our recreation than wait to have it dictated to us. As a group we can make government work for us as a tool but, if we sit in denial government will most certainly work against us.

06-Jul-15
Anyone know where I can buy a CWD deer to lay on a hwy in Lincoln county , so it can be discovered .

06-Jul-15
RUGER1022, can I borrow that deer when you done and take it to Bayfield cnty.

06-Jul-15
Kidding aside, I think something like Ruger and WD are talking about happened in SE Minnesota. Wherever that old cwd positive doe came from it sure brought a lot of money for the DNR to pay for research and sharpshooters to take a lot of deer down in that area. So be careful what you wish for just to get baiting banned in your counties.

06-Jul-15
Its beyond me how anyone can figure that laws dont need to change in response to increases in hunter numbers, user groups, endless technology pouring into the sport, predator numbers, and disease to name a few. You better believe its time to start prohibiting tools and techniques. That is if you care about the resource and not just about the money. If it helps the resource, I could care less who gets offended or loses money.

06-Jul-15
retro, well said.

06-Jul-15
No need to buy a deer with cwd to put in those counties, chances are a good portion of the deer in those counties already have cwd anyway. The dnr will find cwd there when they need to. You got wolves? If so, the dnr might never need to find cwd there. ;-)

06-Jul-15
You will never see restrictions on equipment. We had them and they are no more. Look at the Muzzleloader season as an example.

What we will see is shorter seasons. Take that to the Bank!

06-Jul-15
retro +1, I will gladly give up my Mathews, trail cameras, Robo duck, fish locator….if that is what is required to more favorably manage a resource for the betterment of the Hunting and Fishing Community.

Drop Tine-I wouldn't go to the bank on that yet. I thought many of the Western states banned trail cameras. Does anyone know the facts on that?

06-Jul-15
I have had many dealings with wildlife and waterfowl biologists and they all said the samething. To reduce the take of any game the only way is to reduce the days afield. To me that = shorter seasons in our future.

07-Jul-15
Because right now what is happening is helping the resource? It has been 10+ years since CWD was discovered and it has not left nor has it decreased in numbers. There are not as many deer being tested so it appears in the first counties it was discovered all bans and dollars thrown at CWD are working. Yet it continues to expand throughout the state. Soon we wont be able to feed the birds outside our homes because some biologist thinks it is hurting the other wildlife. We have to many laws to abide by. Some laws could be modified to meet the 21st century but to ban certain things because a group of people don't like them is a joke. That is not helping a resource that is meeting the demands of the most powerful people. That is the kiss of death for the resource.

07-Jul-15
Domesticating wild deer more and more is the kiss of death for the resource.

07-Jul-15
If a baiting ban was so effective, why have prevalence rates almost tripled(for adult bucks) in the CWD zone where baiting has been banned for the longest period? Why is the prevalence rates climbing in western states where there is no baiting?

And why are these prevalence rates still climbing after the eradication efforts?

Why are these "sparks" occurring different areas which are a significant distance from CWD ground zero?

Why are there doe in the ground zero area which are still alive and over 10 years old...and still producing fawns?

And (God help us)why are there still hunters out there that wish CWD to be found in their area so baiting is banned?

I could care less if baiting was banned, it doesn't affect me. Same with deer farms. IMO, these deer farmers who are tested positive for CWD are out of business so why not use them for further research. Quarantine them. Split the herd and test vaccines. Or let one section live the disease out.

I bring up the later because there have been some cases of deer becoming immune to CWD. And possibly why there are very old doe in the ground zero area still alive and producing fawn. When CWD was discovered, we were led to believe w/o eradication, the disease would spread throughout the local herd. Maybe nature is finding a way?

A baiting ban is one tool in the DNR toolbox. It is obvious the tool doesn't work. For those jumping for joy for CWD in their area for a baiting ban, I wish the DNR would use the other tools they used in the eradication zone. I'm fairly certain be wishing the good ol' days of coming across a two gallon pile of corn vs. 5 month+ guns seasons and unlimited deer tags.

"More laws equal more problems and more hunter against hunter feuding. Just like on this forum. The animal rights groups are fueled off this type stuff."

Yep

07-Jul-15
" IMO, these deer farmers who are tested positive for CWD are out of business so why not use them for further research. Quarantine them. Split the herd and test vaccines. Or let one section live the disease out."

I agree it should be given at least a try!

07-Jul-15
"A baiting ban is one tool in the DNR toolbox. It is obvious the tool doesn't work. "

A little devil's advocate here. Might the infection rate be higher than it is if there wasn't a baiting ban? Perhaps what the data tells us is that there are other causes of infection transfer which we already know. I don't think anyone can say with any certainty that the infection transfer cannnot happen with deer eating from the same corn pile. Whether that makes the ban worthy or not is open for discussion. Doesn't matter much because CWD is here to stay and expanding yearly anyway.

07-Jul-15
I knew there was someone out there who thought the same as me :)))

15-Jul-15

Naz 's Link
More on the farm where CWD was found.

15-Jul-15
Baiting is banned in Burnett County, yet there's a feeder in almost every yard with a deer trail worn to the dirt in quite a few driveways. Obvious to any CO that gives a crap, but sure doesn't seem to be enforced. Banning fixes nothing, nada, zip. I highly doubt it would solve the problem of CWD even if it was.

15-Jul-15
Yep ban baiting even though it is spread by insects and or birds. Some will question what I have written but how else would the deer of contracted the illness if it was born in captivity? It doesn't take a biologist To figure it out people.

15-Jul-15
Yup, it is spread by insects or birds, vultures, coyotes, deer, .... but deer are the main incubator for CWD. The more deer, the more CWD, period. The quicker CWD will reduce the number of mature bucks and the deer population.

15-Jul-15
CWD is natures way of reducing the herd. Perhaps we should leave well enough alone and once the disease has reduced the herd sufficiently it will start to go away. Blaming baiting or whatever else some theorist comes up with is ridiculous. It is going to be years before it goes away as it has been out West for a long time. My guess is it will hit every state sooner or later.

15-Jul-15
"Yup, it is spread by insects or birds, vultures, coyotes, deer, .... but deer are the main incubator for CWD. The more deer, the more CWD, period. The quicker CWD will reduce the number of mature bucks and the deer population."

Thankfully though the days of scaring people into thinking that killing all the deer to save the deer are over. Feel free to keep trying though. ;-)

15-Jul-15
3 more counties of legal baiters crammed into the north... Great.. that 5 year recovery is looking more like a 10 year if at all.. I don't see the north ever recovering with all the folks that want to sit bait migrating north... Not helping one bit

17-Jul-15
antler whore....never thought of that. Great news. Watch out what you wish for people.

18-Jul-15
Hey. . Everyone thinks the wolves are the problem in the north.. But every e they ban another county.. Many of the legal baiters migrate to where they can legally still do it..

That has been going on since the bans started.. imagine all the counties banned but a few...aND legal hunters who want to hunt bait are all in those few counties filling the public woods...it's a friggin surprise there is a deer left in the north.. either state wide na the crap.. or allow it state wide... why punish the folks in the open bait counties with all that pressure..

Not 1 open baiting county is doing well.

18-Jul-15
Feed CWD positive deer to caged wolfs, to find out if there is a way for disease to be transferred by ingestion to another species. That way we can find out what danger this disease is to humans.

19-Jul-15
"Not 1 open baiting county is doing well."

Just up north, or overall? There are some pretty impressive harvest totals, year after year, in both bait and no-bait counties in farmland regions. Those numbers could swell significantly this fall after a very mild winter.

20-Jul-15
Roy, I have talked with CWD researchers who told me CWD can be spread in the feces of predators and scavenging birds. The prions will survive passing through a digestive tract. To date there is no evidence of the disease crossing over or being able to harm humans.

20-Jul-15
Bottom line......... Are these farms regulated?

167 deer on 12 acres???????

21-Jul-15
What county north of 29 that is baiting legal is doing well???.. please post the best counties to have legal baiters migrate too.. The ones south of 29 do not have the vast areas of public land that will become home to the new migrant legal bait sitters... That's why the north will never be what it could be or has been... pressure is off the charts for deer per sq. Mile.... closing more adjacent counties only magnifies that..ban the entire state... or legalize the entire state...what's going on is the problem

21-Jul-15
The ag lands (and even some of the timber) of Marinette, Oconto, Door and Kewaunee; that's four (and there are more). The herd is not decimated. Down from historic highs, yes. Patchy distribution largely dependent on habitat, definitely. Young vs. mature forests can = dramatic difference in deer/sq.

AW, pressure off the charts? License sales are down dramatically, and a lot of that exodus (based on reports from businesses on traffic now vs. years ago) has been up north.

21-Jul-15
"The ag lands (and even some of the timber) of Marinette, Oconto, Door and Kewaunee; that's four (and there are more)."

The question asked was what counties are doing well. I can't speak to Door and Kewaunee, but I can speak to both Marinette and Oconto. Simply because crazy numbers of anterless tags are available doesn't mean the heard is doing well. Marinette used to be, for years, one of the top 10 kill counties in the entire state. Those days are long gone. The "big buck contest" run at a local watering hole in Oconto County just north of hwy 64 had ZERO bucks of any size registered 2 years ago. Last year, they didn't have the contest.

Doing well? Hardly.

21-Jul-15
Apparently Naz.. you have honey holes that go unhunted... good for you.. now try and hunt the rest of the decimated counties... Door County is just full of public land and I suppose Kewaunee is as well... NOT.

hunters who want to bait have no place to migrate too... but they sure fill the woods in the decimated counties.

And then complain there are no deer when the migration impact of banning bait in adjacent counties.. it can not get better yet with the vast majority of available public lands..you also get the vast amount of migrant baiters taking deer out... Ban it completely or leave it unlimited... get rid of the 2 gallon limit as well.. It's a friggin joke anyway..

21-Jul-15
"The question asked was what counties are doing well. I can't speak to Door and Kewaunee, but I can speak to both Marinette and Oconto. Simply because crazy numbers of anterless tags are available doesn't mean the heard is doing well"

+1. Just more DNR song and dance garbage attempting to mislead. We shouldn't expect any less.

"Apparently Naz.. you have honey holes that go unhunted... good for you."

From what I gather, these guys like to plant food plot on their lands, get several pictures of deer visiting these tasty treats, then post these pictures while complaining about all the deer they attract. Just more song and dance to mislead people into thinking the deer population is crazy out of control.

21-Jul-15
'Just more song and dance to mislead people into thinking the deer population is crazy out of control.'

As a resident landowner the deer population in Door County is above goal.

21-Jul-15
"As a resident landowner the deer population in Door County is above goal."

Is that just on your property where you plant bait-plots and then complain about all the deer you have, or are you speaking for the entire county?

21-Jul-15
Many ag counties had kills of 20 to 30 deer/square last year. The top 10 harvest county days aren't "long gone" for Marinette, either. Marinette ranked 7th with over 8,000 whitetails tagged last fall, and was one of five Top 10 counties to allow baiting. Marinette was only 100 whitetails behind 5th place Buffalo and 69 behind 6th place Clark. Oconto was just out of the top 10 with nearly 7,000 whitetails — more than "deer rich" Door (3,889) and Kewaunee (2,680) combined.

HunterRC, DNR song and dance? I'm not a DNR employee, but you already knew that. Fake-bakers like you don't even get under my skin. At least now we know why all these years you've tried to hide your identity.

While a small percentage of the total land, Door and Kewaunee counties do offer thousands of acres of quality habitat open to the public on DNR wildlife areas, land trust properties, select county and township properties, open MFLs and open crop damage lands.

21-Jul-15
"HunterRC, DNR song and dance? I'm not a DNR employee, but you already knew that."

Yes Naz, and I also know the majority of the biased crap you write is spoon-fed to you by the DNR, how much closer to a "DNR employee" can you be? I'd venture a guess that turkeyhunter gets his writing material from the same source.

21-Jul-15

Naz 's Link
Nothing spoon-fed at all. Public information, available for months, online (linked here).

21-Jul-15
Wow, in attack mode already. Sure was peaceful here for a few weeks.

21-Jul-15

Turkeyhunter's embedded Photo
"Is that just on your property where you plant bait-plots and then complain about all the deer you have, or are you speaking for the entire county?"

I don't think you know very much about my property.

I don't speak for the entire county.

You can see from this chart that as soon as the legislature decided to manage for high deer numbers the population in Door County exploded.

Which would explain why the County Deer Advisory Council (CDAC) voted unanimously for a three-year season structure aimed at reducing the deer herd.

22-Jul-15
I question the accuracy of the chart. Who created that graph you posted?

22-Jul-15

Go to the Door County Deer Advisory Council link and you'll find it there.

Door County has too many deer. That is the problem with a one-size fits-all deer management policy of the state legislature.

22-Jul-15
Oh look RC is wrong as usual. What a shocker...

22-Jul-15
"I don't think you know very much about my property."

Sounds like you're saying you don't have food plots on your land. No sunflower plots? No yummy morsels planted for the deer to munch on?

The question was who created the graph, not where can it be found. My guess is that graph is based off of inaccurate data, and it's not my responsibility to prove it. It is a pretty graph though. ;-)

"Door County has too many deer."

Instead of whining why not put the drink down and do something about it? Open up your land to other hunters, quit trying to attract deer, call in some sharp-shooters. Where there's a will there's a way, only you can help yourself, the first step is admitting you have a problem. Good luck ;-)

22-Jul-15
"That is the problem with a one-size fits-all deer management policy of the state legislature."

Again the gas pains of your politically driven agenda.

Please explain how the new management plan is a "one-size fits all".

22-Jul-15
Bigwoods +1

The charts look similar in a lot of farm country units. Granted, many of us know we could/should be allowed to have far more deer/sq. in farm country than the 20-25 they were saying was the right number (and never managed down to). But 3-5x is likely too many when it comes to forest damage, ag damage and car/deer damage. The trouble is excessive use of EAB made some folks gun-shy of shooting even a doe or two and now the herd is exploding in ag lands again. Perhaps all the crossbow users the new administration welcomed will help take care of all those whitetails.

22-Jul-15
Please explain how the new management plan is a "one-size fits all".

Our CDAC recognizes that nobody (I would include myself) particularly took a liking to EAB. Nevertheless, it was a useful tool in managing the deer population. The legislature took that tool away in an effort to increase deer numbers. Maybe they think deer are uniformly distributed across the Wisconsin landscape.

Deer populations in some portions of the state were hammered by EAB. I get it. But not in my county.

Our CDAC recognizes that issuing additional tags isn't going to work - they have leftover tags as it is. EAB could put the hurt on the exploding deer numbers even if you only used it in alternate years or once every three years.

CDAC also discussed benefits of returning to an early antlerless-only hunt.

Legislature won't allow either because they want higher deer numbers. One size fits all.

22-Jul-15
"Open up your land to other hunters"

Ron - What evidence do you have to suggest I do not do this?

22-Jul-15
Turkey, I know you open up your land .... I'm one of many you've invited, my kids too. Just like anywhere else, though, no guarantees. Whitetails are survivors! Great story on your property that the gal did for Gannett recently, by the way.

23-Jul-15
EAB and antlerless seasons were "one-size fits all" management. Although my and the surround land lacked deer, I must shoot a antlerless in order shoot a buck. But due to hotspots and errors in SAK, my unit was declared a EAB unit. EAB and T-zones killed population models. The Dept had two different estimated populations in the CWD zone. When the DTR team asked which one is more accurate, they said the lower one. Basically, they were issuing tags to hunters to kill deer that were not there. All done out of Madison.

The new program localizes deer management and allows many stakeholders to give input.

You are trying to lead people(in your politically motivated posts) that the removal of EAB and T-zones increased your population. In reality, EAB and T-zones caused the increase. Buck harvest dropped significantly two years prior to EAB removal and overall harvests a year prior. Hunters realized population estimates were incorrect, ignored the DNR and started to manage their areas themselves. We did...we haven't harvested a doe off our lands since 2008 and now have a population back which we could take one or two a year. I know many landowners in Door which did/do the same.

The "one-size fits all" past deer management program has caused your problems. Until hunters drop their distrust in the DNR and educate themselves in proper deer management, populations will continue to grow. Going back to having a guy in Madison tell hunters what to shoot, EAB, T-zones and skewed population estimates is not going help hunter gain that trust.

Not sure where your "estimates" came from but lets look at Door Cty harvests. Remember, EAB was removed in 2010.

2006....4222, 2007....4578, 2008....4109, 2009....2728, 2010....2983, 2011....3120, 2012....3763, 2013....3759, 2014....3889,

It looks like Door hunters are doing pretty good harvesting deer w/o EAB as populations rebound. Heck, with a good year in 2015 and they way they are trending, they could match EAB of 2008. In 2000, hunters harvested a record 402,961 antlerless without EAB. How could this be?

23-Jul-15
How could this be? A series of extremely mild winters, one after another, (the kind that forced Mac's Sport Shop out of business as its ski rentals and Columbia clothing line were a huge part of its year), that led to a record-size herd. It didn't hurt that there were two free antlerless tags given with every license sold, either.

23-Jul-15
"It didn't hurt that there were two free antlerless tags given with every license sold, either. "

Winner, winner...chicken dinner.

Hunters did their job(without EAB) when populations and tags were available. One big problem with EAB(other than forcing a hunter to harvest an animal they may not want) hunters who have high population in their area of the unit were harvesting doe anyway...EAB was no big deal. Yet hunter in other area of the unit with low populations still had to shoot doe when their area could not afford to, causing a huge population decline.

Within unit and counties, deer are not spread evenly. Even Turkey admitted in a thread awhile back, the deer spread out during hunting season but winter on his land. Although these hotspots exist, they do not reflect the unit/county as a whole. Prior management(and turkey) would rather treat as if the entire unit was a hotspot, institute EAB, T-zone and free tags. Hence, the proper usage of "one-size fits all".

The current management plan allows for local input and management. This hotspots should be address in the county meetings and not be a reflection of the county as a whole. The hotspots should be addressed by the DNR and DMAP to try to educate and assist these landowners. Current management allows for several way to help increase or decrease herd size....I believe the hardest decrease is an antlerless season only in that county.

If Turkey would understand the program and stop with his political gas pains, he would understand the last tool would be his biggest weapon. The threat of a antlerless only season would enough of a carrot for hunters to use free antlerless tags. So rather try to bash the legislature, he should speak with the Door Cty committee and try to pursued them to use this threat. Trust me, hunters will fill tags.

23-Jul-15
We were told we could recommend (and get) additional free tags (or even $2 tags) already last year; didn't happen. And, I doubt it'll be offered this year either. The $12 "extras" plus making them name a county vs. allowing them in any "herd control" county makes no sense. It was a legislative thing, not DNR.

23-Jul-15
"In reality, EAB and T-zones caused the increase."

OK - targeting does causes an increase in the deer herd?

That’s rather tortured logic but I suppose anyone is entitled to their own theory.

Please explain the biology behind this.

24-Jul-15
"Please explain the biology behind this."

There is none. I think I clearly explained it but here it is again:

"Hunters realized population estimates were incorrect, ignored the DNR and started to manage their areas themselves"

The numbers I listed for Door would indicate populations were at a low in 2009 but 2008 or maybe in 2007 they should have stopped EAB/T-zones as populations were low enough. Yet, the DNR consistently provided inflated population estimates and used EAB/T-zones/increased tags. Hunters/landowners realized this well before 2009 and started to manage their property/deer on their own. Some closed their land...some registered doe multiple times. Basically, they were not buying what the DNR was selling.

Whether you believe the overuse of EAB caused hunters to rally to remove it or the distrust of the DNR led hunters/landowners to manage deer themselves....EAB/T-zones are a reason for increased populations. If the DNR had listened to hunter, provided accurate population estimates and used EAB/T-zone occasionally when needed....people would not have rallied to remove EAB. Now with 2009/2010 in the back of their minds, hunters/landowners wanting as many deer as they can regardless of the social/biological issues.

"Legislature won't allow either because they want higher deer numbers."

The legislature removed EAB because the public wanted it gone. There was no public outcry to save EAB. It was so easy to discredit SAK as the DNR kept on tweaking variables to show inflated populations. Just by keeping these variables consistent, you could see the population declining. Yet, the DNR continued to show phantom deer populations. The past government caused this problem, not the current.

The harvest numbers show we don't need EAB to shoot doe. When population provides the opportunity, hunters will shoot. Even if Door Cty had EAB, I feel it is safe to say that hunters would still manage deer for high populations. As for T-zones, hunters were not using them.

Now, we have to fix a problem caused by the Doyle administration. Hunters/landowners will never accept 2009 populations or should we have populations of 2000. Deer population need to be a happy balance of hunter satisfaction and biologically acceptable. This can only be done if the DNR and hunters work together. Through education and programs like DMAP, the DNR can help hunters/landowners manage their lands properly for the best population with little to no biological concerns. This is what the DTR stated.

Telling hunters what to do and lying about populations is not going to accomplish this.

24-Jul-15
I think what he meant (just guessing here) is that perceived (and real in some cases) "overkill" during EAB years made some hunters (esp. those who don't hunt in areas with high abundance of deer) gun-shy of shooting does again. Education, I agree, is the key. When folks see a bunch of deer, chances are they'll take one or two. But, those who NEVER target does because that's what they were taught, etc., probably never will. Those were the ones that EAB "helped" …. even if they didn't shoot one, they had someone shoot one for them. The net effect was helping reduce the herd closer to goals (though we never got close to what many of us felt was way too low of a goal for our productive former unit, 80B).

24-Jul-15
Geitz raises a lot of valid points. Here was the main problem, and what has led up, to what we are now trying to do, which I believe will be another failure.......

After Keith McCaffrey retired, the management of deer went down down down,,,,,,,, Keith knew even way back when, that the state was diverse, we needed habitat, and since he had most of that, the deer did well...

Than we had the mid 90's and into the 2000's, and we had deer management, for the most part, by NON HUNTERS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The DNR has reaped what it has sowed, hopefully it will turn around......

I want wildlife managers, that hunt and trap, and have science behind them to manage, our herd, and of course citizen involvement..... maybe it will turn around

24-Jul-15
Naz makes a good point. Some of the oldtimers are of an opinion that we're only one season away from all the deer being gone. They won't shoot does. I think it's hysteria considering we've had so many deer lately that some have starved to death. But that's just my informed opinion.

"Deer population need to be a happy balance of hunter satisfaction and biologically acceptable. This can only be done if the DNR and hunters work together. Through education and programs like DMAP, the DNR can help hunters/landowners manage their lands properly for the best population with little to no biological concerns."

Agreed, Jeff.

As I've said before I'm willing to be involved in the process and give the CDAC process a chance to work.

If memory serves we've killed 26 deer in the past five seasons. we've much to be grateful for. Hunters in the northern part of the state haven's seen that many deer in the same period of time.

24-Jul-15
All the top deer managers hunt now, and did then. All the local NE WI biologists/managers I know hunt. Who are these non-hunters you speak of that managed WI's deer in the 90s and 00s?

Keith is still "working" in his retirement, behind the scenes, as a volunteer.

24-Jul-15
All the top deer managers hunt now, and did then. All the local NE WI biologists/managers I know hunt. Who are these non-hunters you speak of that managed WI's deer in the 90s and 00s?

Keith is still "working" in his retirement, behind the scenes, as a volunteer.

24-Jul-15
Is Keith the Mr. Warnke??No disrespect but he was sooo full of bull at a deer herd meeting a few of us attended years ago in the Dells it wasnt funny. Probably a nice guy but wool wouldnt fit over everyones eyes at that get together.

Funny how a DNR warden came to talk to us after the meeting asking us our names and where we were from.

24-Jul-15
Naz I do not agree, only because I knew some of them, and they were nice people, but not real hunters. Not saying they never went out, but I mean real DIY hunters......

If I had to turn things around, I would let Keith and John Ozoga from Michigan run the whole shebang, two of the greatest wildlife deer managers in the world, in my opinion.....

as far as Dr. Kroll, since I would not get an independent opinion in this state on him, I did my own research on him, and he is not dummy either.

Although never reported in this state, Kroll has stated in wildlife papers, that he realized N Wis was at the mercy of the Fed govt who controlled the land, and that was why he thought, that at least on a small scale, private land owners could do a better job, with the a sassistance from counties, and state foresters.

he also was of the opinion, that most of the professors today who teach wildlife management do not hunt, and that is another problem in academia, and has created his own on line courses, for both the professional and the citizens.....

Funny what you find out with your own research,,,,,,

I hope we improve in our management, only time will tell......I do have a lot of hope for the UP, since I went to meetings, and there is a significant effort, with volunteers and the DNR to improve winter habitat......

Another star on the horizon, is a fed up north, who wants to turn things around, big time, if he can convince others, and of course, he also is a big hunter and trapper,,,,,,,,,,,

said, I sure would have like to had some of that stewardship money, over a half million, they had to spend, in Mequon, to save a preserve, that no hunter or trapper will ever step foot on, for usage........

24-Jul-15
The final plan that came out from Kroll was diluted and altered by many others. Those who look at the plan and place it all on Kroll are uninformed or doing so with an agenda that stems from their dislike of Gov Walker, who chose Kroll for the job.

Good for you ,Razor, for taking the time to educate yourself before talking.

24-Jul-15
I think I'm happy to hear another 3 county's are free from the divisive, easy- button, crutch that too much of Wis deer hunting has become. I think the way it happened stinks and I'm afraid it's the only way the rest of the state will be rid of it too. Baiters will ride that pony right to the grave.

25-Jul-15
Professors might be one thing, I don't know, but do know that most wildlife managers/biologists are another. Every deer head Wisconsin has had in recent decades has been a diehard deer hunter. Maybe not nuts like 100 days on stand, but in reality, is that what makes a "real" hunter? Heck no. In case you're implying I was "talking" Mike without research, I say I know because I do … I've hunted and fished with a lot of the guys through the years, simply because they're good folks who love to hunt, and enjoy getting together for late-season muzzleloader and December antlerless hunt planned pushes in areas that can sustain those (could use even more hunters out flushing them from their hideouts).

25-Jul-15
"I've hunted and fished with a lot of the guys through the years, simply because they're good folks who love to hunt, and enjoy getting together for late-season muzzleloader and December antlerless hunt planned pushes in areas that can sustain those (could use even more hunters out flushing them from their hideouts)"

Drives seem to be a thing of the past only done these days by guys who are more into killing rather than hunting. It takes very little skill to flush out a deer past a stander, not to mention how unsafe the practice is, and how likely it is to leave wounded deer out there suffering a bad hit. Shooting at running/scared deer always has been a bad way to make a clean kill. Makes sense that DNR employees and their fans are into this type of killing. When in doubt keep shooting. ;-)

25-Jul-15
"Drives seem to be a thing of the past only done these days by guys who are more into killing rather than hunting. It takes very little skill to flush out a deer past a stander, not to mention how unsafe the practice is, and how likely it is to leave wounded deer out there suffering a bad hit. Shooting at running/scared deer always has been a bad way to make a clean kill. Makes sense that DNR employees and their fans are into this type of killing. When in doubt keep shooting. ;-)"

LOL flushed Ronny right out from cover again. So easy to do.

Actually, slow, planned pushes are some of the most efficient ways of killing whitetails that are hunkered down. Sure beats seeing NOTHING in heavily-hunted farm country where many chronic complainers say the DNR overestimated the herd. Once deer know the hunt is on, unless you have exclusive rights to a "preserve" type setting with a lot of acreage, good luck seeing much natural movement after opening weekend of gun season. I can count on one hand the number I've seen wounded and not recovered in four decades of doing this. On the other hand — wait, we'd probably need 100 hands — a lot of deer have been turned into steaks, stew, hamburger, hot dogs and sausage through the years using these methods. That said, we see far, far more deer than we shoot. Our goal is shooting only standing deer that stop to look back at those walking the cover (they do that often if planned right and in the right type of cover). We also shoot those that are moving slow to medium speed, with that nervous "where do we go now?" gait.

Shooting at skittish deer over bait with bow or one of three crossbows owned (even using hand-shucked corn spread for a relative who decided not to hunt there) likely causes more wounding than drives ever will.

25-Jul-15
Talk about an ignorant statement, that has to come from Hunter R, I question if you ever really hunted/////

for many years, when I had a group of guys who we all hunted together, and knew the woods, we did drives.

Our drives for the most part, were all day slow pushes, and we shot some great bucks, in the north. we used no cell phones no GPS, just a good Marble compass and our wits......

We also did a rabbit hunt, where we would have 2 guys on stand by 5am, and at 9am a few of us, would than still hunt all day, and push deer towards those two standers, and we all shared in the celebration, when an excellent shot, took another nice buck down....

yeah them deer drivers sure are ignorant killers, talk about the most ignorant statement I have ever read on this site................

Oh yeah, since you know so much about hunting, I will clue you in, we use to do a lot of late season pushes with our bows, and that too, is an art form, that you must learn,

I guess I am wasting my breath, this site gets worse each week..............

25-Jul-15
Naz, when I am addressing you, you will know it.

25-Jul-15
Razor maybe that's how things were done but not in today's world. Ignorant is thinking in this day and age most guys that drive deer do a slow push that lasts all day. Heck in this day and age most folks don't even have all day to poke around in slow motion doing anything.

"yeah them deer drivers sure are ignorant killers, talk about the most ignorant statement I have ever read on this site................"

That is an ignorant statement, glad I didn't say it. I said it's a killing mentality.

"Oh yeah, since you know so much about hunting"

I didn't say that either, where are you getting all this from?

But I will say if a group of guys "driving deer" spend a long 10 hour day poking through a 7 acre piece of woods, I personally wouldn't label that as a deer drive, nor do I think that's how it's done in today's busy world. Sounds more like morel hunting than driving deer to me.

"Our goal is shooting only standing deer that stop to look back at those walking the cover"

lmao that cracked me up thanks for that.

25-Jul-15
Keep laughing RC. Apparently you've never hunted the right thickets, swamps and marshes with the right type of hunters. We get that type of shot more often than not. They're busting out ahead, then stop before leaving cover and look around. Boom! Get the dragging log! (We don't use ATVs).

25-Jul-15
Naz, Ronny surely should not be the one judging how others hunt and he is. He's sat over an illegal bait pile to kill a spike. He wounded the buck he shot at last year and never recovered. He participates in group hunting with his family but yet he's opposed to deer drives, a long standing tradition in deer hunting in WI. Sad that he is the one judging others by how they hunt.

26-Jul-15
happy +1

26-Jul-15
I drove deer for over 50 years, Rifle hunting in Northern Wi. Started on Monday and went for rest of week. Shoot at running deer you bet we did. But really we shot more on opening day standing,walking than we ever did driving for 7 days. Due to age we stopped doing it and then we lost all our young Hunters, that is way to boring to sit all day.We had 22 hunters in camp now We are down to 5. A lot have passed away and no kids to replace them

27-Jul-15
Got this in an email from the real "Ronnie". Just thought I would pass it on, believe it or not. Doesn't matter to me and probably not to Ron either.

"Would you let the bowsite community (especially Naz) know that I am not Hunter R and never have been. I am not on Bowsite and have not been for several months. I read from time to time but have not posted in a very long time. Let them know that if they want so badly to talk to be or about me, I can come back if that’s what they want."

27-Jul-15
Hunter/RC/Poacher sits over his illegal bait pile to shoot an immature buck with a rifle as he likely has no chance of filling a tag if he actually had to work at it and is critical of how others hunt. You can't make this stuff up.....

27-Jul-15
Jeff-

Ron never leaves. He just posts under another name.

27-Jul-15
Why does RC consume some people as much as it appears that he does? If someone who you believe is RC posts and you don't like it, just ignore the comment. It really seems that he has gotten so deep under the skin of some of you that it brings out a petty ugliness. Are your lives so perfect and unencumbered that you have nothing better to complain about? If so, good for you.

27-Jul-15
Redclub- You bring some disturbing news to Bowsite.

While we argue about who is RC and who's not RC, you're post echo's a disturbing fact that is true across WI. Hunter recruitment is something we all should be worried about!

It has been my personal observation that we are losing new recruitment to changing times, electronics and a new society with misplaced values and what is really important in life.

The non-hunting community continues to grow daily and we as hunters (A) Don't care, or (B) do little or nothing to stop the cycle. A small percentage of us continue to try to attempt to address the problem, but it's one largely ignored by most.

The non-response to Redclubs post speaks loudly to where are concerns as hunters really is...

Now...just where did Rancid Crabtree go now?

Really?

27-Jul-15
"Would you let the bowsite community (especially Naz) know that I am not Hunter R and never have been. I am not on Bowsite and have not been for several months"

Good stuff here. He "hasn't been on bowsite for several months" (LOL) but he was just booted from here again a few weeks ago - hmmm. He wasn't rickflare, Howatt, or davebow either - hmmm. He is a pathelogical liar though but that is not news to anyone.

"Why does RC consume some people as much as it appears that he does? If someone who you believe is RC posts and you don't like it, just ignore the comment."

Mike, do you ignore the comments you don't like or do you comment back like you just did? You bash people regularly here when you don't like what they post. Shouldn't you just ignore those comments? What fun would these message boards be if people didn't retort on things they don't like? Ronnie's latest comments with him judging people on how they hunt would have you PO'ed if they were from me or Naz and you know that is fact. You let him slide 100% of the time but never grant anyone else here that luxury. Again, you know that is fact.

27-Jul-15
Happy, I ignore most. Some I do comment on. Frankly, I don't care who does or does not like someone else. I simply note that to me, it is amazing that a guy who, to my knowledge is not even here, can command so much attention.

27-Jul-15
Spot on Happy!

27-Jul-15
Blood trail, you raise a great point. Personally, I head a Safari Club chapter that raises and donates generous amounts of money to the Outfoor Heritage Expo and to the NASP program. Introducing kids to archery shooting is, in my opinion, a great way to bring youngsters into hunting. Of course there are many different venues that combine to help recruit new people to the hunting sports.

27-Jul-15
"Would you let the bowsite community (especially Naz) know that I am not Hunter R and never have been."

See, told you so. Now for you guys that were getting all giddy dreaming that Ron was here and you were reading posts that were typed by his own hand and that he was actually talking to you, sorry to burst your bubbles but really I'm not him. Only in your dreams am I Ron. Kinda grosses me out to say that. Come to think of it, please do me a favor and choose someone else that posts here to get your delusional Ron fix from as I find the whole thing to be quite unhealthy. In a strange, obsessed, stalker-like, man-crush way. ;-)

27-Jul-15
No, you are C J...

29-Jul-15
Capt. Mike. If MadCow disease can be transferred to humans from ingestion of diseased cattle meat, wouldn't it be good to know for sure if CWD can be transferred to humans. That's why UW researchers should be feeding diseased deer to captive wolfs. Unless DNR doesn't want to know . If this was shown to be the case would you feed venison to your children?

29-Jul-15

happygolucky's Link
This article by Paul Smith is appropriate timing for your comment Roy.

29-Jul-15
Roy, the article Happy posted sums it up well. To this point in time, there is no evidence it can be transmitted to humans. That does not mean that the prion cannot someday mutate to a form where it could be harmful to humans.

The same can/could be said about scrapie in sheep. It has been around a long time yet humans still consume them with apparent problem.

29-Jul-15
The discussion about the mice testing in this article is vague. I'm fairly certain the injected CWD into the mice vs. feeding them venison

But I guess "if" a human becomes infected they probably would close all the taverns in the county where hunters congregate so it doesn't spread via human contact.

This is NOT good :(

29-Jul-15
Normal mice are not able to contract CWD. Only through genetic mutation are researchers able to create a mouse that can contract CWD.

Not only taverns but gentlemen's clubs also!

29-Jul-15
"Not only taverns but gentlemen's clubs also! "

Gasp..... Say it isn't so.

Then I would imagine they would have travel restrictions so a hunter couldn't leave the Human CWD zone. No booze, no women and ya got the CWDs. Horrible

29-Jul-15

happygolucky's Link
I'm sure I missed it, but how do you know the mice were injected with CWD versus fed? Just a guess or a hunch?

"Normal mice are not able to contract CWD. Only through genetic mutation are researchers able to create a mouse that can contract CWD. "

The is the point of the study and them using humanized transgenic mice as they can use the mice to closer represent human biology. I don't believe they care if your standard house mouse can contract it. They are concerned over human contraction.

29-Jul-15
Well I hope they don't genetically mutate us with humanized transgenic mice..

We also could be part of the New Madrid Fault Zone, new ice age or Sharknado 4.

I think the scare tactics have run its course. Unless you'd like to eradicate the deer and not eat any vegetation in the CWD zones for 10 years.

If CWD mutates....there is nothing we can do about it. Except....eat genetically CWD resistant deer.

29-Jul-15
Happy, I agree with you. What was your point?

29-Jul-15
I think I have been a "Human Guinea Pig" over the past 30 plus years. I have worked on and eaten deer from a game farm that purchased deer from the DNR, killed and eaten elk and deer from the areas of Colorado where CWD in prevalent. Killed and eaten deer from counties that have had deer test positive in them. I Will continue to do so.

Do I worry that I Will catch something from the deer? No, I am more worried about the chemicals they shove down the throats of the meat that they sell in the grocery stores.

We all take chances every day. We can go through life worrying about this, that and the other thing. Or we can live life to the fullest and be as careful as we can be and still enjoy life!

I choose to live life to the fullest! Pass the venison, potatoes and the gravy! Thank you very much!

30-Jul-15
Mike +1

30-Jul-15
I agree with you too Mike when it comes to myself as I am 53 years old, but I would never feed my family venison that I know had CWD.

30-Jul-15
Myself, my family, and others I know would not/have not/will not eat venison that comes out of cwd-ville unless it's tested and comes back negative. We've had every deer tested since the cwd scare and will continue to do just that. Although I understand research up to this point shows there is little risk, I'm not willing to take that risk nor expose my family to it.

06-Aug-15

>>>--arrow1-->'s Link

• Sitka Gear