Sitka Gear
George Porterfield, a "Sticks" founder..
Pennsylvania
Contributors to this thread:
HARRY CARRY 04-Jul-15
RC 04-Jul-15
Dale Hajas 04-Jul-15
hvac tech 04-Jul-15
Red Beastmaster 04-Jul-15
Dale Hajas 05-Jul-15
hawkeye in PA 05-Jul-15
Shortdraw 06-Jul-15
Shortdraw 12-Jul-15
Dale Hajas 12-Jul-15
HARRY CARRY 12-Jul-15
Shortdraw 12-Jul-15
04-Jul-15
Just heard that George Porterfield, of the greater Donegal area, one of the original creators of "Strictly Sticks Traditional Archers", died on Thursday, July 2.

George (formal name of Ronald) was quite well known, and greatly appreciated by those who knew him.

He was known for "Old Smoker" the bow with the very heavy draw weight that he shot with ease, and which he enjoyed watching others struggle to attempt to pull it back.

At the moment, there are no published details that I can find online. However, when any information is found, I will post it. May I also ask that if any one else finds more information, that they please post it. Thank you.

Rest in Peace, Saint George....

04-Jul-15
Sorry to hear that. George was a great guy..

04-Jul-15
A great guy always with a smile. Innovative to boot. Did he not bow fish off his hovercraft in the local streams? Only knew him from the SS shoots but he became a very respected fellow in my book. It has been several years since I last saw him. His voice, friendly smile and friendship will be sorely missed. God speed George......

04-Jul-15
Yes george was a great guy i liked his stories about his airboat

04-Jul-15
I was really glad he came to a couple shoots last winter. It had been quite awhile since I saw him. He was a friend since the day I met him at the very first Sticks shoot.

George was one of the good ones and will be missed.

And no, I couldn't shoot Smoker either. :)

05-Jul-15

Dale Hajas's Link

05-Jul-15
It was always a pleasure to see George at Strictly Sticks, rather he was shooting or just came out to see friends and tell stories. R I P George

Jeff

06-Jul-15
Very sad to hear of George's passing. He was special to me in many ways.

Spent many hours talking about many things. Deep conversations about life and God. I enjoyed our time together here.

I felt I was his biggest failure... LOL! He spent MANY hours trying to help me with my archery skills. The biggest task was my short draw tendencies. Hence the name "Shortdraw" was given to me. I guess I will try harder to overcome that in honor of him but it could take some time. :)

A good man with a big smile and a bigger heart.

He will be missed. Scott <')))><

12-Jul-15
ust wanted to comment on how special and moving the tribute to George was today. Very well done by the family.

Songs, music, prayer, and many stories of his life. A very nice slide show of his family and past played. As well, a table displaying items that symbolized the man.

George suffered for about half a year with serious heart ailments before going home to the LORD. Daughter Julie said he spoke many times that he was ready to move on from this world. He was at peace and was able to see his family before he left.

I am glad that my son Jared and I represented the archey brethren.

His body was cremated and his ashes spread by home where he was born.

R.I.P. my friend.

Scott <')))><

12-Jul-15
Thanks Scott. He did well didn't he?:)

12-Jul-15
Scott, at the Pine Hill Rendezvous last evening, was a ceremony to remember our fallen Service Folks, and Archers who passed during the past year. I spoke up with the name of George during the ceremony.

I would not have been able to attend today's ceremony and tribute, with returning from Pine Hill.

Thank you for representing many of us...

12-Jul-15
Thanks Randy! He was an eight year vet of the U.S.A.F..

• Sitka Gear