Lefthand Hunter 06-Jul-15
SpongeBen 06-Jul-15
WV Mountaineer 07-Jul-15
JayD 07-Jul-15
Babysaph 08-Jul-15
fnshtr 08-Jul-15
JayD 08-Jul-15
05-Jul-15
Thought it would be interesting to hear some of your vacation stories from this Summer.

For myself and family - we sort of recreated a vacation that my parent took my brother, sister and I on almost 46 years.

First off - we headed to Oklahoma where my wife is from to go to a family reunion. We actually had to change location as the pavilion we first rented was under 4 feet of water when we got there. We were able to find another site right next to OU and had a wonderful time.

From there we head to the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert, then to the Grand Canyon, up to the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone, to Mount Rushmore, Crazyhorse and then down thru the Badlands. We went thru something like 22 states and drove 5947 miles before ending up back home!

The whole family had a great time. I was a little shocked with Yellowstone as to me it seems like bison have taken over the park. We saw very little other wildlife except for bison. We were there only two days and spent all day long in the park driving and hiking. Just a guess though I sorted of figure that we saw close to 1500 bison! We only saw about 10 elk and 4 black bear and that was it. No deer, moose or grizzly bear. We actually saw more elk around the Grand Canyon and possibly had a mountain lion siting - it was near dusk and what ever it was had a long tail... LOL

I was impressed with the trip from Yellowstone over to Mount Rushmore - through Wyoming. If I recall correctly it was Rt 14 - it looked beautiful and was National Forest - open to hunting I believe. Wish I would have had more time so could have done some fishing - but we were traveling pretty fast from one park to next.

I hope to hear from some of the rest of you on your family vacations! Its been a little sad to see how much the participation on here has dropped to almost nothing....

06-Jul-15
that sounds like a great trip. Enjoy buddy.

06-Jul-15
JayD, Although it wasn't this year's vacation, we followed a lot of your travels back in 2012. Flew to LA and picked up my daughter's van and drove it back home. Got snowed in in Yellowstone in early June. We also saw a lot of bison, but also saw a ton of elk, two grizzlys, big horn sheep and a couple of moose. I too was impressed with that stretch of Wyoming from Yellowstone over to Mount Rushmore. We liked Cody so well, we decided to spend a couple of extra days there. Great trip.

06-Jul-15

SpongeBen's embedded Photo
SpongeBen's embedded Photo
My wife's favorite place to go on vacation is in Disney, and as much as I hunt and shoot target archery, I can not argue to much about it. Plus I have figured out they have an awesome Bass fishing trip in the Disney water ways! Joshua caught some nice ones!

07-Jul-15
Haven't been on one yet. Lord willing, July 18th through July 24th will find me outside Front Royal VA, in a small cabin on the Shenandoah River. Where I will wade and float fish every day from daylight to dark, for Small mouth and Channel catfish until my feet hurt and my skin is sun burnt. Best way I know to unwind and relax. Lord only knows how much I need it and am looking forward to it.

Me and the wife usually only do a couple weekends per summer at our cabin in Monroe County for "our" vacation. However, I've learned to refrain from calling it a vacation in general terms because all we do is work our butts off when we are there. What can I say, we are simple people that derive pleasure from simple things. God Bless

07-Jul-15
I think they all sound like great vacations because it sure sounds like a lot of family time to me!

WV Mountaineer - I loved our vacation - but I could not wait to get home to be able to hit Back Creek with the kayaks and do some fishing! Plus we are clearing some around the house to make a nice firepit. My oldest daughter has about 10 other 15 year old girls coming over later in the month for several days and nites of bonfires and kayaking!

08-Jul-15
My vacation will be week after next. I spend the week in Coudersport shooting my bow and camping with my NJ buddies. Then I will take off a week or so to bowhunt in the fall. My daughter is grown and I am single now so I don't have to do the other types of vacations. Lol.

08-Jul-15
Your vacation reminded me of the great time we had in 2010. My wife had never been out west and we pulled a camper out the northern route (I-80), stopping at mount Rushmore, through the black hills, through Wyoming to Yellowstone, then down through the grand Tetons and across southern Wyoming to Laramie.

We spent 3 days in the mount Rushmore area and three days in Yellowstone. Then I hunted in Roosevelt national Forest while she relaxed at the camper for 2 weeks. I got my first bull elk with the recurve and dropped it off in Fort Collins at the processor, bought our 1 day fishing license and caught trout in a mountain lake.

Spent a couple of days with friends still elk hunting on the mountain and then headed home

Great trip! Great memories! That was my first year of retirement.

08-Jul-15
Wow that sounds great fnshtr!

• Sitka Gear