cityhunter 12-Sep-15
deerman406 12-Sep-15
cityhunter 13-Sep-15
Woodsman 14-Sep-15
Cornpone 19-Sep-15
07-Jul-15

tcosmic's embedded Photo
tcosmic's embedded Photo
I was out in Pagosa Springs a few years back and saw a truck with new York tags at the trail head where all the horse trailers park. Was wondering how many venture west to elk hunt or mule deer.

07-Jul-15
Heading west for CO elk muzzy season. This will be 12th trip. Nothing like it back home. Always a good time whether a tag gets filled or not.

07-Jul-15
You can say that again. What part of ny you from easy?

08-Jul-15
patiently waiting to draw that Utah tag...it's been 8 years so far. gotta believe...

09-Jul-15
I made the trip last year... flew from LGA to DEN and rented a car, then drove about 4 hours west OTC w/ only topo scouting and google earth to help me out. Was my first time, but certainly won't be my last. No luck on filling a tag, but if i had a few more days i'm confident I would have - first few days were spent just settled in to the area a bit. Last day had me full draw on a bull w/ a tree in between us unfortunately.

09-Jul-15
I hunted CO in 2007, skipped 2008, then 2009-2014. I intend to hunt every year now up until I can't! Heck, I may have had the plates you saw since I hunt south of Pagosa Springs and have been at a couple of those trailheads. I hunt with a group of six and, although we can hunt private, I personally hunt on the adjoining NF. We hunt the first nine days of the archery season and I've been fortunate enough to have taken five elk. Thus far I haven't hunted either mule deer or bear.

10-Jul-15

Ace of Spades's embedded Photo
Ace of Spades's embedded Photo
I've been out in 2008, 2011, and 2013... Will be back out next year. Hunt public land for elk and plan on going after Muley's in a couple of years...

Josh

10-Jul-15
We used to fly but more recently started driving, logistically a lot easier... Especially when it comes to returning with meat and racks. Takes my father and I about 29 hours driving straight through switching drivers every gas stop. That doesn't include 3 hours at cabelas lol!

10-Jul-15
I hear ya on that 29 hr. drive ace. Did it a few years back alone straight out. Now that I am getting older its not looking so good solo. Lol

11-Jul-15

cityhunter's embedded Photo
i do it each yr 2200 one way alone 2013 bull

11-Jul-15

Who needs a ride out west plenty of room dodge mega cab 2014 bull

11-Jul-15

2014 bull two tags two bulls talk about work alone !

12-Jul-15
Nice pics, nice bulls!

12-Jul-15
elk can be done for dirt cheap!! public land is unlimited in the west compared to NY .

12-Jul-15
City looks like ya hauled some meat out in 2014!

12-Jul-15
With 2 guys splitting the gas, tags, cut/wrap/freeze, food, 1 night hotel at some point... Hunt can be done for under $1,500 no problem.

13-Jul-15
Going for diy, public land elk with a recurve this year.

13-Jul-15
Tom 2 bull tags equals too much work LOL i have killed a cow and a bull on trips cows much easier to haul out .

14-Jul-15
Nice Bulls City!!

14-Jul-15
I'm going out for first time this year-never been out west, never seen an elk (wild one) or mule deer etc. Definitely inspired by some of the threads on here, I really like the pictures, stories etc and hope to do the same when I get back. Its been pretty much all I could think about since we decided to go for sure, cant wait, cant wait, cant wait... Less than 2 months. Going sight unseen with bow is low probability, but there for the adventure, will learn a lot and be smarter next year.

14-Jul-15
Joe we all have been there i could write a book on the mistakes i made. Go enjoy the mountains , shoot a cow if u get a chance the first elk is the hardest Best of luck to all .

Thanks ace

15-Jul-15
city.....love the last post. I lived in MT and can go back any time......public land is a treasure out there. Have hunted CO , ID, NM as well. I just don't get why the average guy who can go every 3 years , unguided , and have 3 hunts in by the time he saves or borrows enough to go guided.....doesn't just do it. Get a couple buddies and head out......learn a little.....HUNT. I love Elk and Mulies in late Sept.

15-Jul-15

Blake why did u move here i was born and raised BX NY i wish i would have made it out west many years earlier. i cant wait to move out west !

2013 public land bull once the elk bug hits u no species compares

15-Jul-15
I want to do an elk hunt in 2016. Never been so was thinking of going with an outfitter........ But Lou makes me second guess my choice. Amazing Cityhunter.

16-Jul-15
Louis, do you pull a camper out west?

16-Jul-15

I have a camper and should bring it but im usually hunting alone. I tow a small enclosed trailer with a gen and frezzer box for the meat. Charlie guided elk hunts will run you at least 5000 without getting there plus tags etc tip BOWHUNTING is about trying to figure the species out and useing your hunting skills or luck :> One can never fail if you give it your all ,even if the tag is unfilled . Outfitters are motivated by money Im motivated by passion for to hunt elk .

Even if u go out 1st year and dont tag out , its a learning experience. Guys from out east cant imagine all the unlimited public land that we can hunt in the west ..

Charlie Iowa deer tags cost about the same as colo wy elk tags Once u figure elk out they arent hard to predicit i kill them with bugles never killed one over water or treestand these can be lethal but i love pissing them off ... 2012 4yrd shot

17-Jul-15
CBeck I have read up so much on elk (Colorado specifically) and outfitters and DIY and what not. Really starting from zero, my references were primarily bowsite, other internet, 4-5 books, and friends experiences. I had friends who went in Colorado with outfitters drop camp, or guided on public lands- not one said they wouldn't consider returning just DIY, its a lot of work but would also be a lot of fun. Certainly a lot of benefits to going with an experienced good outfitter, for me I am in for the adventure and figuring out myself is part of that. I am surprised at how much of my brain thinking about endless gear and endless location ideas takes up, its all good and love it. Posts like city's above just fuel the fire-its possible, its almost time, its going to be awesome, cant wait.

17-Jul-15
i had no choice but to go alone or not hunt if u wait for others one will never go !!!The hardest part is getting there . Life is too short not to hunt elk with bow and arrow !!!

17-Jul-15

This is my first elk my second DIY for elk NM I still recall seeing this 5by5 bull i thought he was a giant as his antlers were seen above the sage moving towards me . first year i had a shot on a nontyp bull i called in with a hoochie but blew two shots due to nerves :>

Elk meat is awesome !

19-Jul-15
Tcosmic, That may have been my NY tag. I have been hunting near Pagosa every year since 2009. I have taken 3 bulls in that time frame. What trail head was it? Feel free to send me a private reply if you would prefer.

20-Jul-15
i been making the trip for several years when i can get my hands on decent tag...mostly drive alone.

20-Jul-15
Logistically we bring 2 coolers per guy and if need be we buy more coolers out there. Any of the meat processors we've ever used will come in any time of day or night to take in meat or to get it back to you when you're leaving town. They also stock dry ice. The meat is cut wrapped and frozen for about $350 and with a small piece of dry ice on top in each cooler they meat will stay frozen solid even after 30 hours of driving in 90 degree temps.

One year flying it costed almost $900 for cut, wrap, freeze, and shipping!! We've never flown since, and honestly driving is easier and allows for more gear.

21-Jul-15
trial, where do you head when out west?

22-Jul-15
Check out Eagle Mountain Outfitters out of Gunnison, CO. Drop camps only in the West Elk Wilderness. He brings you in on horseback to an 18x24 outfitter tent with cots, chairs, two burner propane stove & light combo and a wood stove. Just bring your hunting equipment, clothing and food. 3 people driving non-stop takes ~31 hours (2100 miles one way.)

Outfitter = $1,400 license = $650 Expenses = $600

Less than $3,000 a person for a real great experience.

Do a Forum search and see what people say.

16-Aug-15
im heading out to pagosa springs this year. never been out there. hunted Montana twice

16-Aug-15
im heading out to pagosa springs this year. never been out there. hunted Montana twice

16-Aug-15
No elk this year but I will be chasing mule deer around a in few weeks...

17-Aug-15
heading to a LE in CO this year. first time solo. going for two weeks, 2nd and 3rd week of season.

I went guided when i was about 23 and been out on DIY type hunts with friends several times and maybe i'm now underestimating what i learned way back then but i think you can grab some great videos, talk to a few guys with a few years of experience and go at it and have a great shot at getting an elk. Bowsite is filled with all the great advice you need to have a great hunt. you will NOT feel like you wasted the time even if you come home empty handed, at least I can't imagine anyone feeling that way.

24-Aug-15
I hunted Pagosa about 4 yrs. ago. Beautiful country and pretty rugged. I would love to go back again. Best of luck!

05-Sep-15
nw montana second week. fourth archery hunt there!

09-Sep-15

Peepin Tom's Link
Has anyone tried to apply for a PA Elk tag? I know the numbers are very limited but it might be worth a shot.

09-Sep-15
Louis(Cityhunter) I would take a ride out with you anytime!! Great pics. and some great Elk!! Very Nice!! Shawn

12-Sep-15
Tom u can kill one of them PA elk easy not much of a hunt shawn leaving tues wed

12-Sep-15
OTC tags?

13-Sep-15
no wy or mt for me.

14-Sep-15
I just back from hunting out in Colorado and it was first time. Not sure if we just hit a bad time or were in the wrong area but never really was in the hunt ... lots of walking around, no bugles, one elk on horseback ride out ... kind of frustrating but will be looking to go back next year.

19-Sep-15
Got back from CO last Tuesday. I killed a young 5X5 late afternoon Sunday the 30th. Six of us in camp and, since we split the meat, I was rooting for the others to score. Unfortunately that didn't happen so he got split four ways.

• Sitka Gear