Jeff in MN 23-Jul-15
Jim Leahy 23-Jul-15
Helgermite 23-Jul-15
Naz 23-Jul-15
Steve White 23-Jul-15
07-Jul-15

Steve White's embedded Photo
Yep, on the fast track for a new record this year after today. Today found 5 cameras stolen. 2 turned of and chips erased. BUT, one hidden camera gave me a pic. I and several others have easily ID'd this person. Nothing is being done by the law. Have not been able to get any response for my immediate warden. Sent message to another that has been involved but not his territory so to speak. Asked him point blank. Other warden got nw number, new job, or just ignoring me. Yep, just ignoring me! He contacted him, and said he got my messages, but busy. Will get back to me. I am so ticked at this it's beyond words. Real close to loosing it. Perhaps that is what the law wants. Would think more paperwork would come from it.

Really need a hidden gps option for these cameras. As well as better cover cameras to be hidden. For when they are just dumping crap on baits.

07-Jul-15
Sorry to hear. Wouldn't the sheriff's department be the one to contact for trespassing and/or theft?

07-Jul-15
Naz is correct, contact sheriff's department. They are the ones to handle trespass and theft. Save the DNR headaches, not there job so to speak.

08-Jul-15
The sheriff dept in Vilas Co, is the one you should contact. They investigate trespass and theft complaints.

However the DNR agent, should have given you direction, and who to report this too, assist you in the proper avenue, to have this investigated, and than complete a follow up call to you, to see how things go......

Its what a professional should do, and no one is that busy, with social media, its pretty easy to keep track of everything...

Heck I use to have to keep a memo book, that is when everything was hand written, and that is what I did during my LE career......

08-Jul-15
That really sucks Steve. I'd be livid. It is hard not to take matters into your own hands.

08-Jul-15
Time for paint ball bombs....

08-Jul-15
Some of the stuff they are doing fall under DNR. Sheriff in both counties aware of this. Multiple wardens aware of this. Its been going on 3 yrs now. Did talk to a deputy last night. That seems to be more concerned. Not going to hold my breath though. It just keeps getting worse and more bold every year. That pic is only 5 miles from my house. I was at home then. Easy enough to check on if I am home or not. It's what the did all winter. Guys that would cry non stop about hunting by me as it was to far. Now check on me, and hunt if I am not. Causing all sorts of problems I have to deal with and smooth over. Until we have a come to Jesus meeting in the woods. I really doubt anything will be done. Hell, I handed over an easy illegal bear kill, but nothing happened. Just a huge list of crap with these guys, and nothing being done to stop them. It's just a matter of time. The law knows this. Would think they would try to prevent it. Rather than watch it happen. One day we will cross paths in the woods. It's not a matter of if, but when! Have flat told the sheriff there will be blood shed. That didnt even light a fire under them.

08-Jul-15
It doesn't surprise me that both the warden and LEO's want nothing to do with it. That is what I have found around here as well.

08-Jul-15
I would make sure that the guy knows that you know and that you have incriminating pics and plan to tell the world he is a thief. It would be good for him to know you have contacted an LEO even though you know they won't be doing anything about it. Maybe he'll at least stop.

08-Jul-15
Beat the living tar out of the a-hole if the law won't do anything...just don't get caught! I hate to say that, but sometimes enough is enough and you have to handle things the old fashioned way.

08-Jul-15
South Farm x2

08-Jul-15
I have a Fiskars you can use to well,…Really has become horrible what this world has turned into. Use the law to the fullest extent and make an example out of this slime. I hope you get the level of satisfaction you are looking for.

08-Jul-15
Code red...blanket party time...

08-Jul-15
"I and several others have easily ID'd this person."

From the photo you posted? Did le positively id them from that same photo?

09-Jul-15
I would think that photo should be plenty for the sheriff to get a warrant to search the bum's house, property, auto's, and place of business.

I am betting that this sheriff won't be getting any re-election contributions from anyone in your circle of friends. If you haven't already talked to the sheriff himself you should.

09-Jul-15
If taking the matter into your own hands isn't your cup of tea give the County Attorney a call and discuss how the proper chain of command seems to be stonewalling you at every turn. Perhaps they can help you solve this problem.

09-Jul-15
Have you got your name engraved on the cameras in a conspicuous place and a hidden place? Might not stop this scum but it might diminish the value of the camera for resale or use by the scum himself. Also help get a conviction if that or a serial number you kept a record of is found on or in the camera.

09-Jul-15
Why do you have this problem every year? Many trail cameras get stolen but it seems that you have a lot of them stolen along with other problems with other hunters?

09-Jul-15
I agree with South Farm, if the sheriff and local DNR Warden aren't helping, start working your way up the chain of command. I'll bet a letter the the editor of the Wisconsin Outdoor News would get some folks talking if published. Remember, these folks work for us, we pay their salary. On a personal note - I have no complaints with my local officials. They have been very responsive to any and all issues I've had. BC

09-Jul-15
Large bear foot-hold trap buried next to the tree you have your camera hung in and cable it to the tree. Next guy you see with a bad limp is in big trouble. :)

10-Jul-15
Yes, hunter can id from that pic alone. I hunted with these guys for almost 10yrs. Walked many miles behind the man in the pic. We fished, hunted, and did other things together. It was because of the games, and other garbage they were always trying to pull. That made it hard to hunt with them. Final straw was the killing of one of our dogs. May have been an accident but was the result of an oxy addiction. Since I refused anymore contact. These guys go out of their way to be vindictive. If any one should have been. It should have been me! Yet, I kept my cool. Stayed back, and got the law involved. First year I had to file FCC complaints on the harassment on the radio. Interesting with hunts by use of the radio was enough for FCC. Not enough for local law. Tried hard to prevent being able to get clients dad to us. Client even asked why? Few days later I was in trouble, and had dogs hurt bad. Again blocking radio transmissions preventing my wife and daughter getting to us quickly. Again was of no concern to local law. I seen it as reckless endangerment!!

Most issues last several years have been these guys. Some issues by others. But when you are all over the place. Bound to run into a few jack wagons.

I am not the only one these guys harass. Another guy that use to hunt with them gets same treatment. Go out of their way to harass a land owner regularly. He is a great guy. Just dont want a box of barking dogs sitting at end of driveway. But that cannot be respected by these guys.

Yes, all my cameras are marked in plain sight as required by law. Then marked with my name in at least 2 other spots. Along with more hidden marks.

Now, I have been warned by a couple of people. They are planning to use xylitol on us. Already been watching for this, and carry at all times. Stuff to hopefully counter act it.

Finally did hear from my local warden yesterday. More of the same BS. One thing we both agreed on though. Is it is going to get worse before it gets better. That when contact is made with them regarding me. Is only going it rile them up. I'm ready for it though. One of my motivators for getting back in shape. Dropped 60lbs already this year! I'm in about the best shape of my life right now. Cardio not what it was when I was still an athlete. But I am stronger now than then. Both physically, and mentally ready for the coming battles!

Sad it has to come to this. But when the law fails you..................

10-Jul-15
OK Steve....

The only thing I'm getting here is someone is stealing your cameras. Go file a theft complaint with the Sheriff's Office and if you know who did it and have the photo, give it to them.

Now...if they wont help you, talk to an immediate supervisor and ask why.

If that doesn't work talk to the Chief Deputy or the Sheriff himself and ask why there is no movement on your complaint.

Guys are right WDNR does not handle theft/trespass.

As far as the other "harassment" I'm not tracking. Sounds like a pissing match between several groups of hounders.

I'm speculating that both the wardens and the deputies have heard from not only you but the other "violators" you speak of on a fairly routine basis.

I'm also expecting that there is allot of "He said - she said" going on between the groups.

If you have solid undisputable evidence (photo) and you can identify the suspect there should be no reason LE would not help you.

11-Jul-15
BT- I always respect your insight on things. Speculation this time is way off.

These guys never call the law only run from it! Sheriff would handle the theft. Not only cameras, but the stumps as well. Stumps may not seem like much. But they are hard to find, and not cheap to buy. Need to find a good legal way to mark them. I know 4 of the ones taken last year are in use by these guys right now! The rest of the stuff would be handled by the wardens. The hunter harassment. Tampering with bait sites. Illegal dumping. (garbage at baits), Dumping of chemicals, Dumping broken glass, and nails on trials. A real laundry list of stuff with these guys.

Blows me away the FCC will give a citation, but not the DNR for the same thing. Should have been charged with that, and reckless endangerment!

Almost forgot the disorderly conduct. In a few hours I would bet my last dollar this will be broken. They go out of their way to harass and intimidate landowners, and the general public. Several tickets were not issued because landowners would not press charges. Because they are afraid of this guy! One person it's almost a daily occurrence. He will call me and complain. But wont call the sheriff. I really think he is scared too. They got a trespassing ticket right behind this guy a few days ago. Would think that would make them vacate area. Nope right back at it next day. Put in a couple new baits in that area last few days. One is literally 50ft from private property. If there is not some intent with that. Dont know what it is.

It is a well know fact. That every single bait these guys have is illegal. Nothing has been done about this. Little tickets not worth the time. But they add up fast. Besides it could also be a much larger ticket. Illegal bear harvest. How would you like to be hunting with them, and loose your bear because of an illegal bait!

The guy already dodged 2 of the illegal bear kill tickets. Gave enough information on another. That any rookie could have followed up on and issued citations for. A LEO was even part of this kill!

Then there is the viscous dogs that will attack yours at any opportunity. Been warning people about this and most brush it off. One guy wishes he had listened. As his dogs were attacked in his yard last fall. His dogs being 100+ lbs gave a butt whopping. Still the guy never called the law. Friends with local warden, adn didnt even tell him! WHY? SCARED?

Then there is the poaching on fishing side too. Gave them the lakes they like to frequent to do this on. Because they never seen a warden in the area. Been out several times with them. When I was told . If you weren't here would be keeping these. Then I guess it's good I'm here.

I can back up every one of my statements with hard evidence. No he said she said crap. PROOF POSITIVE! They want the big tickets, not the little stuff.

I really hope the deputy I spoke with is as sincere as he sounded. Happens to hold the record for arrests in that county. Maybe he will give the right push to put a stop to this.

Right now I have to wonder if I don't have another snake in the grass. Found out these guys were out running the baits last night. So no doubt they will be running them this morning. Had a mutual friend call asking if I was hunting in morning and if he could go. Never heard a word from him after I said yes. A red flag went up right away. Since a few days ago this guy told me latest stuff was a good reason for him to stay out of woods. Makes one wonder a bit what his intent with that call was.

This is much bigger than just me with these guys. They are the bad apples we all talk about.

Kids are waiting on me better get off here!

11-Jul-15
People are becoming very possessive over bear bait sites which tend to be in the same place year after year. Anyone who owns a flannel shirt from fleet farm is a bear guide nowadays. These guys love to claim bait areas indefinitely. Then you have your hound hunters who also "own" the rest of the public land that the flannel shirt guys dont. Along comes the guy who hunts once every 8-10 years and thats where the fireworks starts. He places his bait in the "forbidden territory" and gets the "treatment". Its kind of a mob rules mentality in bear hunting.

11-Jul-15
No where near what deer hunting is. Flannel shirt thing goes for fishing too. Still does not give anyone the right to steal, or mess with bait sites.

Many of the issues you refer to come from lack of scouting. An established bear bait is very obvious. So why put a bait near an established bait. Unless of course you are hoping to play off that bait.

This is a full time job for some of us!

11-Jul-15
Messing with someones baits or stealing is wrong. By the same token so is thinking you have indefinite "squatters rights" to a piece of public property because your a "guide". Just curious. As a guide, how many consecutive years have you run some of your baits in the same spot? How about the particular area your having problems with? Im in no way condoning the actions of the other guys. Makes me sick. Just looking at it from another perspective.

11-Jul-15
"Yes, hunter can id from that pic alone."

LE can id from that pic?

I understand you think you know who it is, but I'm seeing the back of a guy wearing a white shirt and maybe a hat, maybe not a hat, maybe brown hair.

I've had several experiences with trespassers, and pics of trespassers, and LE dealings because of trespassers. That said, if all I had for proof was the pic you posted of the back end of a guy (or gal) I wouldn't expect LE to be able to do very much with it. Is this the hold up with LE, are they saying they need more proof?

11-Jul-15
Not legal but funny. In 1986 my brother and I bought the bulk of our properties. We had an old neighbor 3 miles south of us, long time family acquaintance. He and others in the area had a reputation for shooting at vehicles, trespassers, "his bother" etc. For real. Different times mind you. We ran into him on the road during rifle season and he asked how it was going being landowners and hated. We said we were having issues. He bought his 1000 acres in the 1970's for back taxes. He had continuous trespasser problems. He stated you know how to deal with trespassers, don't you. My brother say's no, He says, well you shoot them in the leg! (my brother and I looked at each other). He then stated then shoot him in the other leg! We were like we can't do that. He chuckles and says "that way you get to court they don't have a leg to stand on! He sold his land a couple years ago for over a 1.1 million.

12-Jul-15
Steve,

Believe me I feel your pain. I just got done burning my DNR customer ID number into 2 bait logs to replace the ones stolen last week. No cameras stolen, just the bait logs. The SOB's put their cap over the camera before going in and stealing the logs.

The only legal way I know of to mark the logs. Mine were on private land. Haven't had any more issues on public land, but the crazy part of the season is just starting.

Good luck!

12-Jul-15
Steeling logs? Has it really come to that?

12-Jul-15
"Steeling logs? Has it really come to that?"

Yup, I had four hollowed out bait stumps stolen 4 years ago. They also dumped bleach on one of the bait sites.

12-Jul-15
Hunter, No LE right now cannot make a positive id good enough from that pic. One is trying to enhance it. Several others have come forward with the same ID though. Still not enough for court.

Yes, OH YES! Stumps. Last year had 7 stolen right off the bat. Same baits were gassed night of June 30th. Several cameras stolen from them last year as well. 3 stumps taken this year so far.

Guess where I found a couple of them!!! Not normal trees to be found around here so pretty distinctive.

I need to get a wood burner and do the same thing. Got a little generator that would work perfect for that. A deputy thought maybe sinking a nail or something might make them identifiable secretly. Not checked with warden, but I think that would be illegal. However, instead of stealing them. They would just be smashed instead.

I cannot come to grips with this mentality. I come across baits, cameras, stands all the time. Never do I see, or feel a need to mess with them. Just move along making a mental note. So I can avoid them in the future.

So much land out there to hunt. No reason we all cant share the woods!

12-Jul-15
Not condoning the actions but I think retro has somewhat of a point. How many years have you been baiting in these same sites? Being a guide you're baiting every year, some guy who only gets to bait every 10 years is not going to be happy that you have all the good sites "claimed" every year.

If I were you I would be looking at more private land to lease or get permission to guide on. Personally I would be very leary of hunting with a guide that hunted on public land in Wisconsin because I know that there's a decent chance of being messed with by other hunters, berry pickers, etc.

12-Jul-15
This is all actually sickening. It sounds like these idiots have the LEOs in their back pocket. No other explanation for not doing anything with this. This will get much worse before it gets better and then the LEOs will claim ignorance to it all. It's not like they have a lot to do up in the Eagle River/St Germain area. I feel bad for you Steve. Your livelihood is in dire straits due to a bunch of law breaking idiots. I see blood being shed before your situation is resolved. Best of luck and don't worry about the anti-dog running guys on this site.

13-Jul-15
Zinger, these are not guys getting a tag every few years. These are other hound hunters with no respect for anyone or anything.

Like I said there is millions of acres of land to hunt up here. I dont claim any of it. I only hunt a very small area in perspective. Plenty of other places to hunt. Really I don't understand your point. Because I am a guide. I should have to change spots every year. That does not make sense. Should that not apply to deer hunters then as well. I been deer hunting the same spot for 25yrs. Do I need to move? Got a few old boys that have been hunting deer where I bear hunt for 40yrs. We I see them next month. SHould I tell them they need to move. Because its not fair to others they are hunting same area year after year.

Lease land? You must be crazy. People hardly want to pay rates now. Even then there is no profit in what I do with bear. Now I got to crank up prices to try to find land to lease. Never seen a parcel for lease up this way either.

Even if most of my baits were on private. It would not matter. These guys would be all over them as well. SO nothing has been gained except a much larger expense.

15-Jul-15
"It sounds like these idiots have the LEOs in their back pocket. No other explanation for not doing anything with this."

If le can't identify from that pic alone (like Steve admitted) doesn't that seem like an explanation for le "not doing anything with this"? What do you people expect le to do with basically no proof?

15-Jul-15
This is all very sad. Hard to believe people can be like this.

15-Jul-15
When it comes to bear hunting nothing surprises me any more. Even with limited tags it is still a joke how far some people will go to hurt another guy's chances of taking a bear. Over in Minnesota I'm happy to say we don't have to deal with the dog running bear stuff that goes on, but we have our share of so-called "guides" sticking "BEAR BAIT AHEAD" signs up in every single logging trail, trying to dissuade others from hunting nearby...even though it's illegal to do that. Guess where most those type "guides" are from?? I'd like to see them weeded out, but wish in one hand and crap in the other as the proverbial saying goes..

Anyway, hope you get some resolution to this soon Steve; it sucks I'm sure.

15-Jul-15
"If le can't identify from that pic alone (like Steve admitted) doesn't that seem like an explanation for le "not doing anything with this"? What do you people expect le to do with basically no proof? "

When Steve and others he knows can identify the people from the pics, that is one heck of a starting point. Present the idiot with the pic telling him he's on camera and his reaction will be telling. To me, it sounds like the LEOs just don't want to deal with it.

15-Jul-15
Believe it or not there are guys that LE are just plain scared of and will avoid unless they have to.

15-Jul-15
Thats exactly right Rut! That pic of course is not enough, but years of other hard evidence is. Heck, why can the FCC issue a fine, but not the DNR harassment for the same thing.

Sadly, I think it just took a turn for the worse. Contact was made with them today, and the cameras came up. Among other things. So like other LEO's have already stated. Believe this will now go to another level. Funny part was they were caught in a flat lie.

Worse yet is it being well known these guys do not have a single legal bait. But, nothing has ever been done about it. I reminded a warden of this again yesterday. Asking him point blank have you even checked thier baits at all recently. NOPE!!!

Even worse is the rash of new baits that have been put out. In spots we argued about for years. I would not allow it because of the proximity to houses and private property. That's exactly where they are now. Scouting a few days ago. I found several of them. All I could say is WTF. Odds are very high dogs will be in those yards. They dont care though. Just like last winter when they blasted at a yote with a rifle from across the road directly at a house. While kids were outside playing as well. There were a couple of citations issued, but they dont care. Will keep right at it.

Good thing in a way is. That I know many of these landowners. They know I would never do this type of thing. However, if something were to happen. With my dogs ending up nearby. I have permission to do what is needed. Been told many times you do not need to call, or stop. Just go. ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! If my dogs or I end up where we dont wish to be. I will call, or stop every single time. At least this way they know it is me. If not call the law immediately! Most said they would not, but this year they are finally starting too.

I hope we are all wrong. That today's contact will keep them away. But after 3yrs of this crap. I highly doubt it! Really should not be that hard to catch them red handed with the proper help. Since they only mess with certain baits. The reason is they are less likely to be seen going to them. Other strings to get in must pass many homes where they would be easily seen. Which is good, at least I got some not being messed with at all!!

15-Jul-15
"When Steve and others he knows can identify the people from the pics, that is one heck of a starting point."

A starting point? What does that mean? Because a couple of guys think they can positively id a guy in a pic that means le should take their word for it and start writing tickets? Do you actually believe that? That's like me seeing someone speeding then getting upset at le when they won't take my word for it and write a ticket. Dumb

"Present the idiot with the pic telling him he's on camera and his reaction will be telling."

Telling? Again, what does that mean? So if Steve tells the guy he's on camera and shows him that pic and thinks he notices a "telling" reaction, I imagine you think le should write some tickets based on Steve's observation of the guy's reaction? More dumb

"To me, it sounds like the LEOs just don't want to deal with it."

After reading some of Steve's posts (including the last one) I don't blame them.

Sounds as if this is and has been a peeing match between 2 groups of guys that have probably been wasting le and the warden's time with silly petty crap for way too long, and le is probably tired of it. Much like when a couple of neighbors can't handle their own crap and keep calling the law out to mediate and babysit.

15-Jul-15
HunterR - There are always two sides of a story that LE need to deal with, but the stolen property, the tampering with baits and reported illegal bait sites seem to warrant the attention of both the sheriff and DNR. There seems to be verifiable problems here.

15-Jul-15
orion, actually there are three sides to every story; your side, my side, and then the truth! LOL!

15-Jul-15
When I turned in my neighbor for trespassing (after 30 years) last year the sheriff would got to the guys house without backup cause of his past and warned me to be careful. Actually warned me before I said write the ticket. I said write it, the informed I am right to carry and always have it with me. No issues yet.

16-Jul-15
No, I do not expect a ticket from a pic that cannot provide proof positive ID to a jury. But, I do expect the law to do it's job, and at least investigate.

A peeing match constitutes two parties be involved. Well I stay as far away from them as possible. Don't steal from them, don't mess with their baits, dont gas their baits. Have surely not killed one of their dogs either. Or, block radio communication on a privately licensed channel. I surely dont drive 30 miles to hunt their backyard and cause problems. If it's a peeing match, guess I'm out of ammo.

Don't believe even half of what I'm saying. Come talk to some of these land owners. Who are being harassed almost on a daily basis this time of year. Some that wont make a call because they are afraid of these guys.

Dont believe their baits are all illegal. Check them out for yourself. I'll give you the GPS cords.

Don't believe the viscious dog thing. I can give you many names to verify that. But contact the only guy that lives on Stone Lake Rd. Who's dogs were attacked in his yard last year!!

Just so much more that is very easily verified by talking to others that are affected!

16-Jul-15

Take a look at these bait sites. Every one placed after I refused to hunt with them anymore. Which was argued about, and I would not allow. Due to the obvious conflict it would cause with landowners. Trespassing to access a bait behind houses. REALLY, Is that necessary!

Want to talk about the illegal deer baiting and stands? Or how about the poaching of fish as well.

This is a lot bigger than I have been telling you!!

16-Jul-15
Pretty simple there Ronny. When people can identify someone with a pic, it is far more evidence than not having the pic. Maybe the LEO can't identify the person but when others who know him and can make an ID then the LEO has evidence to start their investigation. Most start with far less. Partial plate anyone? If someone ripped off your house and a security camera caught their backside and you and neighbor could identify the person, I know what your expectations would be from your local LE.

So then the LEO confronts the person and shows the person they have a pic of them where the cameras were stolen. It'll be damn obvious to the LE if that is the person or not from how they react. Again, this is the Eagle River/St Germain area. What else do they have to do there?

"No, I do not expect a ticket from a pic that cannot provide proof positive ID to a jury. But, I do expect the law to do it's job, and at least investigate. "

Yep, they can take that pic with them and just tell the guy he's been identified by others, show the pic, and then he'll start spouting his side of the story. LEOs have worked off far less. But, it will come to bloodshead with nothing being done.

16-Jul-15
Steve I never said I don't believe you, my point was I think proof/evidence could be lacking causing part of what you look at as le doing nothing.

And preacher, not everyone that disagrees with you is Ron believe it or not, even if they call you preacher. ;-) Apparently you are like a few others here that are so obsessed with Ron you try and tell yourself he is here in disguise and you're actually talking to him on this forum. Personally I didn't find Ron to be quite as awesome as you did, although he was pretty great. You must admit, anyone that can twist someone's mind to the point that they obsess about him 24/7 definitely has some skills. I would love to know if it's going to take medication to help you get over this or if you're gonna kick it on your own, so if you could report back when/if you get healthy again that would be great thanks.

17-Jul-15
Ok I think it's time for a personal story. Not even sure I have even told my wife this. Probably did but after 25yrs things fade. Still have not told many at all about this. It was pretty traumatic, but looking back now. The end result was probably the best ever for me and my family. So those that think that pic is not enough. Listen real freaking close, as this is PERSONAL!!!

Back when I was in the 8th grade. We were living in Crestview. A small berg that part of Racine. On the very north most part of town. My best friend was a year older. Being he was now a high schooler, We did not hang out as much. It wasnt cool I guess. I had taken up with a couple of guys with a like interest. Rode bikes all over hell back then. These guys liked to ride, so we rode. Was told by some they were bad news. Never seen any of that. We just rode our bikes. Nothing more, and never anything that was wrong. What I didnt know is I was being played.

Then one day a knock came to the door. It was the crestview police. I was being arrested! Got hauled off and thrown into secure juvenile lockup for 9 solid days! I mean secure. Locked in small cell all for but a couple hours a day. Then into a very small room. Basically the size of 4 cells squared. My windows view was of the big clock downtown. Still to this day see that clock clear as a bell.

Now I had done nothing wrong. But was arrested for Burglary of my best friends house!!! I did not do it!! The police did not believe one bit of it. They had a witness. Which was then backed up by the one of these 2 guys. The lacke of the pair. The witness was the neighbor lady. She had seen 2 kids running away from the scene into the woods from a distance. All she could see to identify. Was the kid in the back. He had blonde hair. That was it. That was enough for the arrest. There was NO OTHER EVIDENCE!! Now the other kid they had dead to rights. Had his shoe prints in the basement, and finger prints all over the house. Presuring him for the ID of his partner. He gave them my name. Trying to protect his friend. That if convicted was going away for a long time because of his record.

He stuck to his story, as did I. My father believed me. Stood up for me like most fathers would. Hired a family attorney. Who also hired an investigator. Police were told it had to be this other kid. We had the same build, and of course both blonde hair! Right to jury trial we went. I remeber thinking why is this other kid here? He came to the trial for some reason. Finally his buddy with hard evidence against took the stand. My lawyer started in in him. Started to break him down. Tripped him up, and caught him in the lie. Just as he screwed up, and let it out. The other kid burst in screaming and yelling at him. With threats for revealing the truth. The other kid was then arrested in the court room. The case against me was obviously dismissed.

My name was cleared, but it did not matter one bit. Not only did I instantly become an outcast. So did my entire family. We were actually forced for the most part to move. Literally nobody would tale to us. Threats were still made. Not even my best friend would speak to me. So about 3 weeks into my freshman year we moved to Mukwonago for a fresh start. That's were it probably worked out. Far better school than the Gimore JR high, and of course Horlick High. A far superior football team. Where I ended up all conference. Had coaches that made a huge impact. Years later 9 of us became track coaches. 3 of us by some twist of fate ended up here, and coaching together. So in the end it really was for the best.

Arrested, locked up, disgraced, made an outcast. From an ID at a distance based on hair color alone. This lady did not know me. Like I know my former partners. Now am I 100% sure this pic is him. NO! There is that .oo1% chance of reasonable doubt. I could be wrong. Really dont believe so. But I could be. But still there is enough for an investigation. Especially with all the other crap, and the hard evidence that supports it.

I know it's quite the story. A bit hard to believe. Still really don't believe myself that it happened. But it did. If you have trouble with it. Fell free to verify it. Call the family lawyers. Tell them I said it was ok to verify it. Marjan Kmiec was the lawyer. His son Steve also a lawyer he could verify as well. Maybe legal reasons would prevent it. But, my friend Eric Hatiaja. Would not be bound by these legal aspects. He might recall it happening 30+ years ago. Ask him, again I said it was ok. Many of you might have heard of him. We both became guides. His is Big Fish Guide service out of Milwaukee. My good friend Shane Brossman of Brossman's meat market in Racine could verify it as well. One of the very few that stuck by me.

Perhaps a bit too personal, but you can see by this example. How a solid partial ID can be enough for a conviction.

17-Jul-15
Dam it, this hard old bear hunter needs a tissue. THANKS DAD! RIP!

17-Jul-15
Welcome back again Ronny! Now, please don't ruin this thread like you ruin every other one you participate in.

Nice read Steve. I hope you have a banner year with the bears. I know how hard you work for your clients and that guiding bears is not a money maker.

17-Jul-15
Good story with a happy ending. Did the kid that actually did it get the usual slap on the wrist?

17-Jul-15
He got 4yrs!! Juvi prison of course. Got out and 9 months later back in the big house another 25. His partner got 2 yrs.

Kind of hoping these jack wagons do something stupid this next week. Got some southern boys coming to train for the week. Different mentality that dont deal well with BS. I should share some pics with y'all. (working on my southern drawl, LOL) They called couple hours ago at halfway mark. Said we are over our limit on dogs hope it's ok. Got me scrambling setting up extra houses and such. They are bringing 17!!! OHHHH BOY!!!! WIth mine that is 28 in my yard for the week!!! Funny thing is, IT WILL BE QUIET AS A CHURCH!! Would not think so, but it will be. Will also be a whole lot of fun. A lot of work on my end the word understatement does no justice to!!

18-Jul-15
Ended up where I did not want to be today. Guest dogs got across the road in that pic on us. A young pup got lost and ended up coming out by one of those houses in pic. Was a super nice guy that use to coon hunt. Once I got to talk to him. Everything was fine knowing I was not the guy causing issues down there. Only then though. Did I find out how mad the folks are in those houses there. The guy has been running bear through all those yards all year so far. Giving no respect of any kind to anyone. This guy had even caught up one of their dogs on his porch. Took it out to road to give to they guy. Asked if he was name on collar. Asked if he was missing dog. Flat lied to him getting snotty. Then he said, well this dog seems to have your name on it, and was on my porch. Even then he was a bit of a jerk.

Good thing though, I made a new friend. Going to let the neighbors know about me before I talk to them. Although I do everything to stay away from there. First time I ever had a dog end up in those houses though. If a bear we are pursuing goes across that road. It is never near those houses. Never even stays up that way even. Normally just blow right down into the worst hell hole in area!

Guests even said after I cam back to them. People really dont like that guy do they, LOL

18-Jul-15
So the dog was trespassing? That's one of the problems with hound hunters, they can't keep their dogs off private property. I know you try but it still happens. Except for a very few areas of the state hound hunting for bears is something that should be fazed out, sorry but if you're dumping your dogs off within a mile or so of private land there's a decent chance it will go through private land. And before anyone says I'm anti hound that's not the case, I'm anti tresapssing!

18-Jul-15
Actually the dogs were dropped 4 miles from private. Like, I said the pup got lost. Also at most it would have been at large. 8 month old pup. Should not even be out there in the first place. Far to young at that age. More harm than good most times, and can be completely ruined real fast. The pup was following a fire lane that runs along the east side of houses on state land. When it seen people it went to them. Most older dogs would have just come out the fire lane.

19-Jul-15
Steve some day we should have coffee..... I just got out of the woods, for a few weeks...... lots of nice bears between Bergland and White Pine......

Also we have a lot of nice bears in Iron, near Amasa, and in Baraga, so your posts are very somewhat skeptical,,,,,,, well whatever...

You are right about one thing, the hunting up here is poor, stay home........

Just put a bid in for a year round home up here, too crowded by 70.....

stay well

19-Jul-15
RH, Any time is fine by me. Even welcome to jump in the truck one morning if you want.

I do know waht you are talking about though. Like deer or any other critter. Population pockets I guess is the best summary. The number of MI guys coming to WI does say an aweful lot. Cant think of town right now. East of me hour or so. South Iron Moutian area. Sold 30 licenses June 30 alone. More in one day than the total. Just got off phone with buddy from keewenaw. More of the same stuff. Seems the border counties have better numbers. Talked to buudy from Trout creek couple days ago. Not one bear in yard yet this year. Same for his neighbor Blue Ridge Outfitters I believe is the name.

In a way much the same here with deer. Real tough to find even a P&Y buck around here. Real easy to do south of me though.

My door is always open!

22-Jul-15

Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
Another game camera picture of bad guys. Burglary at the neighbors house last night. Photo enhancement will probably ID them but sounds like they know who it is anyway.

22-Jul-15

Jim Leahy's embedded Photo
Steve-I feel your pain. Seems the bear season brings out the worst in people-hope you catch up with him. Someone felt the need to vandalize my camera a week ago-looks like under coating spray.! Why??

22-Jul-15

Steve-I feel your pain. Seems the bear season brings out the worst in people-hope you catch up with him. Someone felt the need to vandalize my camera a week ago-looks like under coating spray.! Why??

22-Jul-15

Mike F's Link
Hear this from a guide friend in NW Wisconsin. Very interesting to say the least.

"I was over talking with my bear bait dealer this afternoon and he informed me Rod Coronado is up in our neck of the woods now.

For those of you that aren't real familiar with Coronado, here's his bio."

Here is a link to some of his background

22-Jul-15
Jim, that stinks. Worse yet, that camera must be on private land correct?

Whats real funny is the guys causing issues. Are now telling people I'm stealing there cameras. The one was just ranting to a friend of mine about it. Could not even keep his story straight during the rant. Out of town for a month, but did this and that. Here the last few weeks. Then havent being seeing any bear while hunting. HMMMM how you doing this if out of town. Dummies!!

23-Jul-15
Has anyone told wardens that this guy is likely in the area? Sounds like FBI and Department of Homeland Security might even be interested in him.

I don't have a bear tag this year but makes me feel like loading up the truck with a bunch of bait pails and the 4 wheeler and just go 'trolling' around on the forest roads.

23-Jul-15
The end of my driveway- I put it out to protect my guide sign that is pretty visual - it reads-Bear hunting and is pretty big. My sign last year disappeared-in Mid winter during Birkey week- not sure if that has any significance-but I figured it was an anti hunter who took it. I ruled out past bear hunting clients-most have class and I don't think I have any enemy's- so I'm pretty sure it was an anti bear hunter. I'm not sure about this past incident-but I installed cameras up 20 feet looking down with back ups- plus my wife got scared and I invested in a home alarm system with Total connect cameras that report back to a website-so the DVR is not on site and taking the cameras does nothing to stop the transmission that has already been sent,so I'm better prepared. To bad we have people out there doing this-but I really think the main enemy comes from our own ranks with greedy low life's who have no character. I was raised to not steal, to leave things alone if there not yours. If someone is baiting close to me, I introduce myself and tell them I'm OK with it-sometimes I back out and abandon-sometimes not. If I don't own the property or have exclusive rights- I cant complain unless its by law to close. Sometimes multiple baits helps me out! it attracts more bear and some one else is dumping and buying bait. But I would never think of messing with them-I don't get it!

23-Jul-15
"Sometimes multiple baits helps me out! it attracts more bear and some one else is dumping and buying bait. But I would never think of messing with them-I don't get it!"

Nice comments Jim. I agree that a bear hitting your bait could just as easily hit theirs and visa versa, so unless one location offered much better security (wind ect.)both parties could benefit from baits in proximity to each other.

23-Jul-15
Feature in Outdoor News this week on Coronado; they know he's here (again, was here in the wolf season too). He even got a harassment ticket.

23-Jul-15
Rod's harassment ticket is still pending being filed by the DA. Stalking charges are being pursued as well. Is a felony and carries heavy penalties. The WBHA is all over this. The area he is playing in is home to at least 3 board members. Whats sad is when he does get charged finally. Some tree huggers are going to pay his fines, etc. It's a joke!!

• Sitka Gear