bszczerbiak 13-Jul-15
RutNut@work 13-Jul-15
Monarch 13-Jul-15
Zinger 13-Jul-15
stagetek 13-Jul-15
Pete-pec 14-Jul-15
Builder 15-Jul-15
10-Jul-15
Anyone practice shooting "exclusively" from a tree stand? Feel its a difference maker or not? I try to shoot from my ladder stand in our yard once a week, but often am lazy and will shoot from the ground for sake of time (climbing up, safety strap, shoot, undo safety strap, climb down, etc), however most of the time my 8 year old is nice enough to retrieve them for me so I don't have to climb down each time :)

10-Jul-15
The only time I shoot out of a tree stand is when I'm hunting. It doesn't make any difference if you're in a stand or on the ground, proper form will have you hitting where you're aiming regardless of the height you are off the ground.

10-Jul-15
I shoot off my upper deck.

10-Jul-15
Bend at the waist and all the upper body form remains the same.

12-Jul-15
As said, the biggest thing when shooting from a treestand is to bend at the waist. I actually prefer to shoot while seated when in a stand.

12-Jul-15
I practice from a stand 50% of the time. I shoot with a buddy. We have a rope to pull arrows up in a hip quiver. Shoot 3 rounds, climb down, he shoots next. I do not wear a harness in my ladder stands hunting, and don't in the back yard. Sorry, just don't. No excuses except I don't like them on me, and feel herky jerky with one one?

I shoot sitting down to my left, and stand and face the tree on my weak side. I think you may learn quickly, that bending at the waist is not as natural as some might think? So I suggest that more people actually practice from a stand, to teach themselves good form by bending at the waist, versus lowering the arm. It helped me overcome a problem I was dealing with several years ago. The other thing for guts who sit and shoot, it teaches you how to position your feet, leg, and hip to make a comfortable draw on the target. I hear stories of guys who say the string hit my leg or my arm hit my leg. This could have been worked out in advance with adequate practice.

We have several targets as well as spots, and we call the shot. Such as far target upper right. We draw, shoot, and make the shot quickly to keep the element of surprise while practicing to simulate the hunt as well as possible. We will shoot later in the evening, and wear our hunting gear to get used to constricting clothing versus always shooting in a Tshirt and shorts.

12-Jul-15
I should have added in my post that I definitely practice from a stand. Just not a lot, I shoot a minimum of 5 days a week, usually 7. But I only practice from a stand once or twice a month. I do practice from a ground blind also.

12-Jul-15
When I was a grad shooter I felt I needed to practice at height. Now the only shot I work on from a height is the straight down shot, which is the easiest to screw up. Not everyone can put an arrow into a 2-3" window, plus with the shoulder blade covering part of the back the aim needs to be precise.

12-Jul-15
I live in a suburb and hours from where I hunt. I typically shoot from the cul de sac (standing) into the target in my garage. Before the season, I start shooting from my roof into the back yard. One does not have to bend at the waist much when shooting level. Shooting from an elevated area of any kind is very good practice.

12-Jul-15
I practice from sitting in my stand because that's how I like to shoot from it. Also from a chair in the ground blind.

Less movement and with my noisy knees less noise!! LOL

I practice at some long distances too. It makes the short shorts a chip shot!

13-Jul-15
I occasionally practice from a tree stand. Not as much as I should.

Glunker mentioned straight down shots. They are tough and I only took that shot one time. This shot was with him oriented in line with me which gave me room for some error vertically. Watched that buck walk away with most of the arrow sticking straight up in the air as he walked away. I went home and left him bed for over 2 hours. Found VERY little blood and was not optimistic about finding him. Arrow broken off at the insert was found at about 100 yards without blood except right at the break. Another 50 yards or so and there he was. The thunderhead went through a joint area of his backbone with about half an inch of it sticking through the backbone. Just enough for it to cut up the very top of his lung. I think there was spinal cord damage too which might explain why he walked away.

13-Jul-15
I practice from both our deck (10'-12') and a tree (12'-15')stand regularly. One other thing I notice, is that if you don't use an actual electronic range finder, but rather just use visual range estimation your perspective from an elevated position changes. So it's also good to also practice visual range estimation. Always bend at the waist and maintain upper body form.

13-Jul-15
You know the saying: "practice the way you hunt." I don't shoot exclusively from a treestand, but I shoot from a treestand at least once weekly. While it's easy to stay "maintain the T", actually doing that 20 feet up on an 18" platform swaying in the wind can be a different story. Too many guys beat the crap out of their bag target on the ground only to blame the "stick they didn't see" after tanking a broadside shot at 20 yards. Lots of ninja sticks running around the woods...

13-Jul-15
I think those "Ninja sticks" also get the blame from the guys that don't dust their bows off until mid to late August also.

13-Jul-15
Treestand or ground, make sure you have your pins and guard the same way in your peep site every time, and the rest will take care of itself. Really the only thing to worry about IMO. Angle of shot is negligible with todays bows. So, center your pins in your peep the same way every time and it will be good.

13-Jul-15
I've said it before but I'll say it again, don't over think shooting a bow!

13-Jul-15
I seldom practice from a tree stand, but always hunt from one. Never really noticed a difference.

14-Jul-15
I'll say this Zinger. Don't underthink the bow either. I get my bow sighted in in a few arrows, and after 36 years, it is second nature, but I still practice good form, and strive for perfection. When a challenging moment of truth arises, it makes it much easier by being ultra prepared.

Good luck all!

15-Jul-15
Its the oval shape of the deer as viewed from above that changes vs the horizon lines of a deer as viewed from the ground. From a tree, what looks like the top of the deer is actually the side of the belly on the far side. I don't practice from a tree, I just aim lower because of the view and the fact that he is going to drop a bit on the shot.

• Sitka Gear