10orbetter 13-Jul-15
CaptMike 13-Jul-15
Naz 13-Jul-15
CaptMike 13-Jul-15
happygolucky 13-Jul-15
CaptMike 13-Jul-15
10-Jul-15
Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in Medina County Captive Deer

AUSTIN – A two-year-old white-tailed deer in a Medina County deer breeding facility has been confirmed positive for Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD). This is the first case of CWD detected in captive white-tailed deer in Texas. CWD was first detected in Texas in 2012 in free-ranging mule deer in the Hueco Mountains in far West Texas.

The Medina County tissue samples submitted by the breeder facility in early June as part of routine deer mortality surveillance revealed the presence of CWD during testing at the Texas A&M Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory (TVMDL) in College Station. The National Veterinary Services Laboratory in Ames, Iowa, confirmed the findings on Tuesday, June 30.

An epidemiological investigation to determine the extent of the disease, assess risks to Texas’ free ranging deer and protect the captive deer and elk breeding industry is being led by the Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC), in coordination with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) and U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service Veterinary Services (USDA/APHIS/VS).

Officials have taken immediate action to secure all cervids at the Medina County breeder facility with plans to conduct additional investigation for CWD. In addition, those breeder facilities that have received deer from the Medina County facility or shipped deer to that facility during the last two years are under movement restrictions and cannot move or release cervids at this time. TPWD is disallowing liberation of captive deer from all breeder facilities into the wild at this time pending further review. Additional measures to further minimize risk of CWD spreading into Texas’ free- ranging white-tailed deer herd, and to protect the captive deer breeding industry, will be considered.

“This is a terribly unfortunate development that we are committed to addressing as proactively, comprehensively, and expeditiously as possible. The health of our state’s wild and captive deer herds, as well as affiliated hunting, wildlife, and rural based economies, are vitally important to Texas hunters, communities, and landowners. As such, our primary objectives are to determine the source of the disease and to identify other deer breeding facilities and release sites that may have received deer from affected facilities,” said Carter Smith, TPWD Executive Director. “Working collaboratively with experts in the field we have developed protocols to address CWD, and our implementation efforts are already well under way.”

10-Jul-15

Jeff in MN's Link
"TPWD is disallowing liberation of captive deer from all breeder facilities into the wild at this time pending further review."

So it sounds like Texas actually allows release of farm raised deer into the wild. UNBELIEVABLE! Guess that is one way to get large and stupid free roaming bucks on those big dollar Texas 'ranch' hunts. No wonder why baiting appears to work so good on those ranches.

Link is to the Texas bowsite, nothing about it on there yet. Actually there are only 5 threads out there for Texas. Boreing.

10-Jul-15
Better quick kill them all so the disease cannot do the same!

11-Jul-15
Time to build more high fences to suit the hunting style of the fine Dr to stop the spread of CWD. Will he continue to use his automated feeders I wonder?

12-Jul-15
Happy, you judging others because they do not hunt as you do?

12-Jul-15
Captain, didn't judge him at all. Where do you see judgement? He's a high fence hunter and it seems like they need more high fences to stop the spread of CWD. Seeing that WI banned baiting when we got CWD and the good DR is very close to the affairs in WI, I just wonder if the good DR with still use his automatic feeders in CWD areas. No judgement there at all.

12-Jul-15
He was paid to tell the state of Wisconsin what they wanted to hear. Heck, for the money he got I would sing the state's theme song too.

13-Jul-15
Are any of you even aware what Dr Kroll's opinion on CWD is? Just to help, I will clarify; I am asking about Dr Kroll's opinion and not that of the DTR which included much input from others.

13-Jul-15
I guess I was thinking more about the results of what he was supposed to be the expert hired to get it done. Was he hired just for his opinions or to get the best solution/goals in place for Wisconsin?

13-Jul-15

Geitz's Link

13-Jul-15
If you go to page 35 of Geitz's link, you will see a section called "Adequacy of Fencing to Prevent Contact".

The good DR finishes that section with the following:

"Hence, it is in my professional opinion, an 8' tall netwire fence, with a 3' outrigger on each side would reduce nose to nose contact between deer at a reliable level."

13-Jul-15
So....

13-Jul-15
So it supports my original comment and that I wasn't judging the good DR on his hunting style.

13-Jul-15
My point to posting was that this was the first positive inside the fence in Texas, and it impacts movement of captive deer — one of Doc's money-makers. It's easy to downplay CWD if you're not dealing with it. With this being the first positive, I'd guess it'll be found more often inside the fence, and maybe out, in the coming years in TX.

13-Jul-15
Naz, it also impacts each and every other owner of captive deer in TX. It has nothing to do with WI deer or of the DTR that Dr. Kroll contributed to. Do you not know any other breeders in TX or was this a shot at the Dr. whom we all know you do not care for?

13-Jul-15
Time to put fences inside the fences.

13-Jul-15
Think of the irony in this, Dr. Troll was brought here to tell us how we should manage our deer and in doing so influenced our management closer to a Texas model. LMAO I sincerely, hate thinking this but, I hope their high fence operations down in "Don't Mess with Texas" are so infected that it would take an A Bomb detonation to rid them of CWD. No violins here.

13-Jul-15
Actually, many high fence operations have a double fence. What it is time for is to continue and to increase, efforts to find a vaccine and delivery method for that vaccine.

13-Jul-15
No Mike, I don't know any other breeders in TX. While doing the WI promotional tour Dr. Deer was pretty outspoken about his lack of concern for CWD but I think this will make it real for him, thus the mention.

13-Jul-15
I wonder how often he checks these pages, just to keep up with enlightening posts such as this "mention?"

I cannot speak for him but I don't think many have a "lack of concern" for it. My guess is that while most people are concerned, they are not ready to kill all the deer in order to save the deer.

Can you or anyone else tell me why more efforts are not being made to find a vaccine?

13-Jul-15
"Can you or anyone else tell me why more efforts are not being made to find a vaccine? "

- Has a business model been created to make it profitable for a company to take on the venture of creating the vaccine?

- Would insurance be required that if the vaccine were ingested by animals other than deer (say squirrels or birds), the vaccine creator would not be liable to a civil suit if such vaccine caused illness or death to those it was not intended for? Has that been placed in the business model as it would affect costs?

- Who is going to fund the purchasing of the vaccine and what is the budget? This is obviously not a one-time shot. It would be perpetually needed.

- Who is going to fund the distribution of the vaccine?

- How will the vaccine be distributed?

- Where will the vaccine be distributed?

Answer those questions Captain and you might have answered your own question. The scale of what you are requesting is slightly bigger in scope than opening up a lemonade stand on your neighborhood corner.

Maybe the good DR, a highly educated man who is good at designing fences and feeders, could tackle this one?

13-Jul-15
Happy, those questions are all part of the research. Not rocket science there, at least no more than required to open a lemonade stand.

If I could answer all those questions I suppose I would be a researcher. Unfortunately, I don't even play one on TV.

• Sitka Gear