Treerat 26-Aug-15
Brad Gehman 26-Aug-15
Jimbo 27-Aug-15
horsethief51 28-Aug-15
Brad Gehman 28-Aug-15
hvac tech 05-Sep-15
Dale Miller 12-Sep-15
11-Jul-15
How are the apple trees doing in north central PA... Tioga and Potter County area? Are there many apples on the trees?

11-Jul-15
Loaded out west in Venango and Clarion.

11-Jul-15

12-Jul-15
Tioga, lots of apples.

North central Potter, next to nothing.

13-Jul-15
Thanks, guys. I was mostly interested in the area around Westfield... don't know if they had a hard freeze back when the apple trees had flowers on them.

13-Jul-15
None on trees around camp near Costelo.

13-Jul-15
East of Galeton, there are apples, west almost none. If I get up to the Westfield area during vacation next week, I'll post.

14-Jul-15
Tioga County mostly loaded, but some are falling early...too much water? Puzzling. Just north of Westfield, those trees that have apples are loaded, but twenty yards away...another tree with few to none. Saw this multiple times, also puzzling. These trees typically bloom at same time.

14-Jul-15
Just the June drop? Or are they ALL falling off?

I think I'm going to camp next week. It's in Potter near Wharton. I'll report back.

14-Jul-15
We have a good apple crop up here east of Wellsboro. There are some spotty areas.I had some June drop at the house with plenty left... Up in Farmington Twp. (work) great crop and heavy racked buck are being seen almost nightly.Should be a good year.

Ken

14-Jul-15
We have a good apple crop up here east of Wellsboro. There are some spotty areas.I had some June drop at the house with plenty left... Up in Farmington Twp. (work) great crop and heavy racked buck are being seen almost nightly.Should be a good year.

Ken

18-Jul-15
I spoke with a friend who said there are a lot of trees with apples, but not all of them. He said it's odd in that two apple trees can be next to each other, and one tree will be loaded and the other won't have anything on it.

He also said it has been an extremely wet spring and summer, which has been hard on corn crops.

18-Jul-15
I'm not positive about this but I think apple trees have a cycle in as some years they are loaded then the next year hardly any apples, then another year half loaded..

19-Jul-15
Temps in the mid to upper 20's when apples are blossoming, seem to have a bad effect on the apple crop. LOL

This year, Potter had those temps, Tioga, didn't.

Apple blossom at different times, depending on variety. Late blossoming trees may not be effected by late freezes.

Where I hunt, we have apple crop failures in 5 of the last six years. Previous to that, bumper crops most years.

20-Jul-15

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo
Quit your crying Amos:)

28-Jul-15
Big jump in apple size in the past two weeks. Some sun after all the rain must be the formula. Some seem to be getting red prematurely. I belive many are half to two/thirds full size now.

29-Jul-15
Was up in Potter over the weekend. No apples that I could see. There are a few pears, but they look quite small for this time of year.

Saw some good bear sign.

25-Aug-15
I only found one tree this weekend with apples in Mckean Co. The others are bare. Good luck if you hunt apples. I found lots of cherry and some acorns.

25-Aug-15
I sent in my bear application to Potter county treasures office, check hasn't been cashed and can't find the link on the pgc website to see if I got awarded one...

26-Aug-15
RC, have you tried the same steps on the PA Game Commission website used to check on elk and antlerless deer permit applications? I don't know if it will work for bear, or not. Might not hurt to try... here's the steps:

Go to www.pa.wildlifelicense.com.

Click on the "Purchase Fishing and/or Hunting License Permit and or Application / Replace License and or Permit" option, which includes the ability to "Check on the status of an Antlerless Deer or Elk Application."

Scroll down and click on the "Start Here" button at the bottom of the page.

At this page, choose one of the identification options below to check your records, fill in the necessary information and click on the "Continue" button.

Click on the appropriate residency status, which will display your current personal information.

At the bottom of the page, choose the "Check on the status of any Lottery Application" button.

Then hit "Continue."

26-Aug-15
Bear tags are bought at any issuing agent....

26-Aug-15
It was a joke, Brad...

26-Aug-15
Most spots in NW PA are loaded with apples this year but 3 out of the four previous years were real bad, almost no apples last year.

RC...lmao

26-Aug-15
I know it was Roy, but I think Jimbo didn't get it?

27-Aug-15
You got that right, Brad... excuse me for a minute while I pull the hook outta my mouth. ;o)

28-Aug-15
We just got back from a bike ride to Jamestown, New York and we saw apples bigger than baseballs.

28-Aug-15
Ah Jimbo, hook line and sinker. LOL

You would not be the first to have been "foul hooked" by RC. LOL

05-Sep-15
there are tons of apples here in bedford county in my back yard there are hundreds of acres of trees . the spring has a lot to do with it .if we have a late frost it freezes them out or natures way of thinning them . if not then they use chemical thinning by spraying .the soil water etc has a lot to do with the amount .the trees here are full . the climate weather has an affect our peaches were fantastic this year .

12-Sep-15
As I noted above, the trees that have the apple seem to be loaded but nearby there are trees that have few or none. Assuming they bloomed at the same time the temperature must have been right at the breakpoint for killing or not killing frost.

• Sitka Gear