RutNut@work 17-Jul-15
HunterR 18-Jul-15
happygolucky 18-Jul-15
HunterR 18-Jul-15
Per48R 19-Jul-15
Pete-pec 19-Jul-15
Treefarm 19-Jul-15
16-Jul-15
I use Scent Killer just because. I can't say it works and I can't say it doesn't work. I feel confident I am wasting my money but I do so every year when Fleet Farm puts it all at 50% off during gun season. My friend's dad uses nothing and stores his hunting clothes in the cabin not even in boxes and does better than my friend and I do. I also bought into those little ozone jobbers Ronny was always preaching about. They too are a waste. I proved that out when I had pine sol spill in my truck and did everything I could to get rid of the smell. After multiple attempts, I then thought, hey, how 'bout those ozone jobbers I bought into. I placed 2 of them there for days right on the area and the smell did not dissipate at all.

The scent reduction clothing is another farce although the ScentLok and other similar stuff is very well made. And yes, I own lots of it and know it was a farce but it looks good and lasts.

16-Jul-15
I use DDW products. A few other things like Nullo.

Happy, I too have a couple of those Ozone units. Maybe you are doing it wrong. I got rid of some very strong odors using them. I do admit though not every odor can be killed with them. I bought a pair of boots from Scent Lok once, supposedly scent elimination type. The glues and plastics they used to make them was very strong when I opended the box. It took too long to reduce the odor and when it did the ozone did a number on the rubber.

I don't think total elimination is possible but I can reduce it a lot so it helps. It is not always possible to play the wind.

16-Jul-15
Years ago I whacked my buck on opening day and spent the entire bow season testing scents and deer reactions . I used 3 peoplr, hundreds of atractants and cover products. We used 15 cameras. I have an 18 page report that I sent to 7 mags for consideration. The all said no.

Bottom line, you can't fool a mature Deers nose. PEROID. If you hunt rubber heads and small bucks they can be fooled. About 60% of the time. Big bucks, about 2 % .

16-Jul-15
I will agree that these deer smell way better than you could ever imagine. I personally believe in showering before every hunt, using clean clothes every hunt, wearing light clothes while walking in to avoid sweating, avoid contact with odors that deer might warrant as dangerous, avoid making hand contact with things at ground level. The list is endless of the precautions we could/should take. With all that said, we are going to have a hard time avoiding contact with odors that are not of the deer's environment. The best we can do, is the best we can do.

I walked in to one of my stands (clean as I possibly can), through the freshest manure (including liquid manure) during several hunts during my extensive "rut" vacation last year. Several times I had deer cut my track waking in (field of cow shit), and they would alert to my line of travel. I believe our feet are the biggest giveaway. My feet and hands sweat....plain and simple. That is likely where most of my spore is coming from. Of course hunting the rut will allow us to take advantage of the deer's desire to breed, and ocasionally we get lucky. It still pays dividends to be conscious of being clean. In my opinion, soap of any kind is harmless, unless a deer attributes that particular perfume to danger. Best put, I'd rather smell foreign to a deer and have him on edge, than smell human, and have him on high alert! That's not to say that some deer won't grow accustomed to our presence as long as they feel you are not a threat. I know some mommas real well that parade their fawns right past me, because I'm not even the least bit interested in harming them. I do believe a doe has a far superior nose to a buck....call it motherly instinct, but they seem to have a better nose in my opinion?

16-Jul-15
If in an ag unit hang your clothes in a barn. Nothing covers like cow dung

16-Jul-15
"I also bought into those little ozone jobbers Ronny was always preaching about"

What a surprise, happy talking/thinking/remembering/reminiscing about Ron again. rotflmao

Other than avoiding really strong odors such as gasoline/etc just prior to the hunt, I use no scent control and just try to play the wind.

16-Jul-15
Play the wind and don't hunt certain stands if the wind is wrong and you cant go wrong..

16-Jul-15
I mainly play the wind. Not only in the stand but on my way in as well.

16-Jul-15
I am a believer in Ozonics. Have had deer directly downwind from me on many occasions when they did not detect me. I also agree with Pete that our feet spread more detectable scent than everything else combined.

I am also very aware to not touch any brush or branch while walking through the woods. Many years ago I watched a doe go to a branch that I remembered grabbing to move away from face, and after carefully smelling it, she backed away in the same direction she came in from.

17-Jul-15
Hey Ronny, I'll sell you those little ozone jobbers you recommended. Lemme know if you want them as I don't think they have enough power to do the job. Ozonics might. I have no experience with them but many people seem to like them.

I agree with everyone in regard to staying clean and hunting the wind. Everything else is "probably" superfluous although is seems over 90% of us hunters buy into it in some form or another. I am guilty as charged. It kills me how successful my friend's dad is basically doing nothing other than showering before each hunt. Maybe that proves the rest is unnecessary?

17-Jul-15
A few things that I know have helped me tremendously.

I never walk into or out of the woods without gloves on, and even then try not to touch any vegetation.

My boots ONLY get worn in the woods for hunting. Not in the truck on the way there. Not scouting, not for doing yard work or even work on the property.

I never hunt a bad wind for any given stand. I may hunt an almost bad wind, which I believe is better than a perfect wind for me.

Last year I started using a bee smoker/fogger and hardwood chips to "smoke up" before every hunt. It really helps. I was against it at first, but every where I hunt in the fall, the smell of woodsmoke is heavy in the air. I also descent then smoke up all of my equipment.

17-Jul-15
The most important treatment is your feet . I spray my boots with Acorn scented water [ I hunt around a lot of Oaks ] before I walk in . Deer cut across my trail and I seldom get bagged . My buddy uses corn scented water in the Waupaca area . We make our own .

17-Jul-15
I agree with Ruger on your feet being the most important. I often have deer on my walk in trails and rarely get picked. I should add that the smoker method I added above is not just a cover scent. The smoke supposedly helps to kill scent causing bacteria. Google scent smoker if you are interested in it. It's a hell of a lot nicer standing in a stream of warm woodsmoke on a brisk November morning. Than spraying cold scent killer all over your body. Downside is it has me constantly craving smoked food while I'm hunting;)

17-Jul-15
We have spoken of this before and here is my spin to those that may have interest.

Not a scientist and don't play one on TV, but I believe that everyone is different when it comes to human scent.

I believe some folks emit more scent than others based on body chemistry alone.

Most of us know someone who hardly ever gets winded and then there is the guy that he hardly finishes slamming the car door to hunt and he's scented.

I have a buddy...his nickname is "Stinky Jim". He's a good bow hunter but he stinks as far as the deer are concerned it seems. In fact it happens so often he's developed the nickname based solely on deer winding him.

It's not that he a bad hunter, very dedicated to the sport, but somehow he stinks more than anyone else I've encountered according to the deer at least.

So body chemistry in my mind is a major factor.

My scent eliminator...Marlboro. And yes I know..I gotta quit!

17-Jul-15
Good and fun topic. It is interesting that we talkl about hunting the wind but wind doesn't stay constant. It eddies. Know your stands and how the wind works is playing the wind I guess.

Funny, when I began hunting we used leather boots and tried to think what the wind was doing. It worked most of the time but if a deer crossed your path the got the foot scent and reacted.

If a product gives you confidence you will stay there longer even if it is false confidence. Either way hunting is fun and playing with some things is a part of it. Don't get stressed but also think "Can I afford it?"

17-Jul-15
I still use red fox urine as a cover scent on the branches around me. Has always worked for me. Most important is playing that wind. Every time I have failed, it has been for the most part the wind that betrayed me.

17-Jul-15
Like Bloodtrail said there are guys that smoke and even pee out of their stands. I stomp on apples with my rubber boots and rub apples on my climbers and ladders. Sticky but there is a sweet smell about it. Gotta make sure you hunt where they no what an apple is and not just the bears... Wind does seem to change directions as you sit but it needs to be the top priority to think about.

17-Jul-15
I ONLY USE ARM AND HAMMER BAKING SODA DETERGENT ON MY CLOTHES. IT IS PROVEN TIME AND TIME AGAIN. I DONT HUNT THE WIND BUT INSTEAD MAKE SURE MY CLOTHES ARE IN A RUBBER MADE CONTAINER WITH A LOT OF BAKING SODA. I BUY IT A 10 LB BAG AT SAM'S CLUB EACH YEAR AND IT LAST UNTIL THE FOLLOWING SEASON. IF I WASH MY CLOTHES IT IS WITH ARM AND HAMMER DETERGENT. EVERY YEAR I PRIDE MYSELF WITH BEING SCENT FREE.

I USE SCENT KILLER BODY WASH OR A NON SCENTED BAR SOAP IN THE SHOWER.

THE PROOF IS IN MY BASEMENT AS TO HOW WELL IT WORKS. IT IS PRETTY MUCH THE CHEAPEST WAY TO BE SCENT FREE.

17-Jul-15
dbl lung, why are you YELLING?

18-Jul-15
"Hey Ronny, "

Sigh, like I said Preacher I'm not Ron. The sooner you admit that Ron is really not here bantering back and forth with you and it's just something you want so bad you're inventing in your own head, the sooner you can get help and cure yourself from this unhealthy man-crush obsession you have.

18-Jul-15
Ronny, don't always flatter yourself there buddy. Just asking, and very nicely at that, if you want to buy those little ozone jobbers you so highly recommended which didn't cut it for me. It would be a win-win. If you are not interesting in buying them, please don't ruin this thread like you do everyone you don't start. This is an awesome topic. Try to show a little class this time around. Lemme know on the ozone jobbers.

18-Jul-15
Happy, you got it bad. The second post in this thread you start talking about Ron and somehow you think I (who am not Ron anywhere other than in your man-crush dream) ruined the thread? Yep, you got it bad. rotflmao, are you even able to hold down a job with this crazy obsession with seeing Ron everywhere you look? Holy crap.

As far as those ozone thingies go, I personally have no experience with them. Pressed for my opinion, I'd venture a guess that they aren't all they're cracked up to be. But again, I have no clue never having tried them. Like I posted earlier in this thread, I tend to worry more about the wind than what I smell like. Always have and always will.

19-Jul-15
I believe cover sent has no possible advantages and possible disadvantages. We can smell dozens of scents at one time. I expect a deer that lives by its nose can differentiate way more then we can. So acorns and human scent, or skunk and human sent is still detected as human scent. A deer, who lives and dies by his nose, knows when something is out of place, so your intentionally adding a scent has the potential, and I believe strong potential, to be seen as potentially dangerous. After you get down out of your stand and walk back to the truck you are leaving all kinds of clue to any deer wanting to investigate. Very quickly a smart deer, and very few of use are hunting dumb deer, can figure out all it needs to from the scent rail you leave behind.

I do use scent eliminating spray. At the END of my hunt, so that things are dry before the next use.

Sometimes, when I know I will be seen, I to my best to look like a civilian. A dog walker, someone going for a walk in the woods, a hiker, a bumbling fool (who is as far from a potential predictor as possible). Many deer I see while doing this just stand and watch me. I believe that means that likely the deer I don't see, also just watch and essentially blow me off as no danger.

19-Jul-15
In my opinion, looking like a civilian versus a hunter is silly. Now if you were talking riding in on the John Deere like the farmer does to spread manure, or cut alfalfa etc., I will buy that. They may get used to seeing farming practices. But that same farmer walking in the field will (in my opinion) look no different than the hunter. I don't think these deer correlate, differentiate, and problem solve like some might think? They use highly tuned senses (hearing, olfactory, eyesight), all of which well beyond our comprehension for basic survival. These sensors they have are so superior to ours, that we humanize them with other capacities like civilian recognition to explain to ourselves that they can do things that they simply cannot. I will say that human contact attributed to scent, sight, and hearing WILL "teach" them to avoid those things that might have negatively impacted them. Fawns in the presence of their momma seem much "smarter" than a yearling buck? The reason is that the doe was at least 2 years old, had more "time" to interact than that same yearling buck who was flying solo a age 1 without the aid of a more mature deer.

Now none of this is based on science, unless 36 years of field study counts? This is just what I feel to be the case. My conclusion is, we are not as low impact as we would like to be. We stink to high heaven. Manufacturers sell camouflage to please our eyes not the deer's. Being as "clean" as possible helps, along with more ass-time in the woods. As humans, one of our biggest flaws might be this: we like immediate satisfaction, and often set too lofty of goals.

19-Jul-15
Remember the 2-part skunk scent? 2 small drop by drop bottles, one green, one white. It worked well but I think it was abused for jokes so discontinued.

Like others, I use red fox urine on my boots and ONLY hunt a stand if the wind is right. Some stands I don't visit until the first rut sit. I have stands that are doe only or bucks I wouldn't kill. It is the stands where I know bigger buck travel that I want pristine, so favorable wind or not, they are not hunted until rut.

It's all a game. Deer have 300 million olfactory scent receptors located in their rostrum. Nothing gets by a deer. It's up to the deer whether they lay caution to the wind. Big bucks get big for a reason. There is a reason also why people don't see big bucks...the bucks winded them 300 yards away and effectively been taught a lesson. If you hunt in an area where other hunters go, those big bucks have PhD in survival due to rookie hunters.

• Sitka Gear