Mike F 21-Jul-15
Screwball 21-Jul-15
Steve White 22-Jul-15
Steve White 24-Jul-15
Jeff in MN 24-Jul-15
Mike F 24-Jul-15
Steve White 25-Jul-15
19-Jul-15
Been a long time since my last bear tag. Use to be easy to find bait for free. I see bear bait has turned into big business. For you guys that bear hunt regularly, how many different kinds of bait due you use to keep the bears interested? Is it necessary to have a huge variety? The cost for lots of variety could get pretty stupid in a hurry. How much do you need?

19-Jul-15
Bread Granola licorice jelly

10 gallons 2 times a week. When August comes I bait more often. A minimum of 3 baits per hunter.

As the season progresses I like to add trail mix with nuts to the bait.

I keep away from a lot of chocolates and molasses as they can give the bears the squirts....

Good Luck

19-Jul-15
Pretty stupid is an understatement. 5yrs ago if I went nuts might spend $1000 at most. Now with an average of 80-100 barrels a year at $50 a pop. It gotten stupid! That dont include any of the other goodies might use.

Always mixing things up as much as I can. With whatever I can get my hands on cheap. Mostly the last couple years it's been cookies. A variety in every barrel. Got some taco chips on the way. Wont use much more than that. Granola for me is insane. Great bait just cannot afford it. I look at big picture on everything. Fuel to get, or shipping. My time if I got to go get it. All this factors into barrel price. There are cheaper baits, but fuel makes them more costly.

Have played with popcorn some. But that really is a pain in the butt! Bear will eat it, but just dont seem to like as much.

Really close to using dog food. Got decent source for that. Barrel price might be a tad higher. Might order some just to figure it out. Not same size kibble as what I feed my dogs. So that wont work well.

Overall there is nothing cheap about bear hunting!

20-Jul-15
I beg to differ on the popcorn. My friend in Canada has been guiding since 1978, and we swear by it. Cheap and light weight. Popcorn Used cooking oil some flavoring jello, jelly, berries,whatever Liquid smoke small amount as season approaches mix in gummies, cookies etc for variety. Once they switch from carbs to protein, it comes down to scents. Go to the bear sight click on popcorn anyone? link, that is Pine Acres. We draw tags here every 3-5 years shoot a pig or two every time we do in WI. Ontario is a blast. Remember he is running 75-100 baits up there. Also dog food: Check the ingredients, No bone meal, meat by products etc. allowed in WI. My brother and I have been bear hunting in WI since 1976.

20-Jul-15
I said popcorn was a PITA. Now, if you got all sorts of free time. Only running a few baits. might not be so bad. It takes time to sit and pop all that stuff. Popping up a barrel takes better part of an evening. I dont have 3-4 hrs a day to pop a barrel. Cost I am not real sure about. Best I can do is having someone pick up a bag from down state. That is even tough. Heard a 50lb bag under $20. But got to drive 100 miles to get it. Cost went up. Got to spend hour or 2 of my time to pop a barrel. Cost went up. My time is worth money. Is not yours, or do you go to work daily for free??

Yes, they eat it and like it to some degree. But cookies, granola,etc are much more preferred. Can see this even when putting them together in the bait, by what they dont eat. Of course you need to be baiting on a daily basis or more to see this.

On the dog food. The ingredients would not make a difference. Since it has gone through a manufacturing process it is not a meat, or fish thing by the rules. Same thing as many of the stuff used currently. Like yogurt for example. Definitely an animal by product. But the manufacturing process is the key. I will contact the DNR and get a exact clarification on this. But betting I am right!

20-Jul-15
Popcorn is good, if you can get it for nothing from the local theater. Lightweight and easy to work with, not very filling for the bears. I would not use is alone.

Mix it with some Jello powder or kool-aid and away you go!

20-Jul-15
Steve-

I heard dog food was illegal too, I'm pretty sure it was our local warden that told me. Let us know what you hear back on the legality of dog food, I'm interested on that myself.

20-Jul-15
Retro.....Yes, bear bait has become a huge business and the reason why its hard to get some times is the anti hunting groups are keeping a close eye on it, they have made it very hard on some companies that sell it to bait buyer companies. Friend of mine who sells bait in bulk just landed a big contract but before he signed any paper work he had to install a surveillance system, had to put on new secured doors in his pole barn etc, they even came up to inspect his storage building when he was finished with all the updates. The product (bait) that he gets from them has to be mixed with something else before sold. Antis have been going undercover and videoing businesses then posting about the food companies asking people to boycott these businesses.

As I type we have an anti group up here in Bayfield County following the bear hound hunters around.

20-Jul-15
NWO how are you handling that? You must cover a lot of area baiting so I'm guessing the chances of you running into them are good?

20-Jul-15

happygolucky's Link
The link is to what was a fun thread on using popcorn from the Big Game forum.

20-Jul-15
WausauDug....We have very few bait stations on public land this year, 90% private. We were approached by a local hound hunter warning us about the antis, the types of vehicles they were driving etc. They are videoing and taking pictures of them and there vehicles. They are trying to catch them doing anything illegal.

My vehicle is rigged up with a dashboard camera and with a motion detection hidden camera when parked. Its to bad these are the extremes I have to take.

20-Jul-15
Dog food is legal but like screwball said it cannot contain any meat or animal fats. So, look at the ingredients before you buy it.

Fryer grease is tricky too, cannot contain and animal product so needs to be vegie oil.

I used to use a flavoring called "Pig-1 Plus Berry". Get it at a feed mill. It works to turn filler material into something bears will like to eat. Have not used it in many years as all the bait I have used lately does not need any flavoring added. I have added this stuff to ice cream and ate it just to see what it was like. Pretty good.

Stay away from chocolate, too much will kill a bear. How much is too much, I have no clue.

20-Jul-15
Happy that is Pine Acres as I referenced. Popped many bags full to help out up there. The bear clean it up. Mix it with grease, grease not used to cook meat in WI, as season gets closer as I said mix in extras, Light weight, cost effective, bear get hungry again real quick just like humans when you eat a bowl of popcorn. Doesn't last long in the stomach. It depends on how you pop it as to length of time it takes. Dog food. Maybe this has changed but when I spoke with our GW, two years ago, as in years past, it was still "NO". Maybe it's like many laws up to interpretation of each warden. According to district DNR office then, bone meal was a no no though and most dog food has that or a similar component. Look forward to hear what your GW states. If you can get your hands on old produce it can be real fun. We ran baits using all sorts and found some baits bears preferred certain fruits and veggies over others. It was cool.

20-Jul-15
There are 2 groups of anit's hunter following hunters around. The one recently up by NWO. Wildlife Conservation written on the side of their white mini van. The other is the wolf patrol. Lead by rod coronado. A convicted eco terrorist. Wolf patrol has been the worst of the 2. Following hunters all over. Even parking in front of their homes waiting for them to go anywhere. There is a lot of LE involvement with the last one right now. Was even issued a hunter harassment ticket last week!

20-Jul-15
Clicking to fast through things.

Will surely check on the dog food. Running on empty so might take me a day or two to get the ball rolling. Should be interesting to see what they say on this. As I said it was manufacturing process which made some things legal like yogurt. If they do say no on it. I will surely be bringing this up again. How can a manufacturing process make one animal by product legal, but not another. Guess that is how some things work.

20-Jul-15

WDNR website bear bait regulations on baiting.

• Contains any animal part or animal by-product.

Animal part or animal by-product means: honey, bones, fish, meat, solid animal fat, animal carcass, or parts of animal carcasses, but does not include liquid scents.

20-Jul-15
Where are these groups basing out to harass the hunters?

21-Jul-15
I asked a warden before and any dog food that contains animal product is illegal and I've never heard of a dog food that doesn't contain some animal by product. If there is one out there is sure isn't something I'd feed my dog!

21-Jul-15
They camp in various spots in the Northwest part of the state. (Wolf patrol) not sure what the other group is doing. They just showed up late last week.

21-Jul-15
The one item I don't get is why 'honey' is not allowed for baiting. It is not an animal by-product but is made by insects.

21-Jul-15
I heard that the reason honey was not allowed is because bees would take some of the honey back to the hive and it could contaminate and hurt that hive.

21-Jul-15
That does not make sense. So the bees could also visit a bait site and take back some of the sweet sticky stuff that is used for baiting like jellies, jams and syrups as well. Like I said, does not make sense.

21-Jul-15
I always thought honey was off limits because honey producers did not want bears to go looking for honey in their hives.

Long time ago I heard there was some kind of dog food that did meet the DNR requirement but the cost of it versus other baits back then made it too expensive. Maybe with bear bait being way more expensive and harder to find has changed the price difference.

On the issue of grease. I use a lot of grease, especially in MN. I put it in plastic 55 gallon drums and let it settle out for months. The fatty stuff (that WI does not allow and looks like mashed potatoes) settles to the bottom. Then pump off the top half of the thin oil and put that in separate barrels for use in WI. Leave half of the thin stuff in the MN drums just to be sure I don't get 'bad' stuff in WI and need some thin in the MN grease anyway. Grease keeps well as in many years. Just don't store it in the sun or where bears can get to it and don't store it in those flimsy 5 gallon grease jugs as other critters like coon chew into them. (come to think of it, I shot a woodchuck that was inside my pole shed a month ago. I better go check if it chewed into any of my grease barrels)

Note, a full 55 gallon barrel is HEAVY. I now use 30 gallon barrels and pumped all my 55s into 30s. To pour it out of a barrel glue a 90 degree pvc electrical elbow to a threaded end that fits into the threaded barrel plug. I think 3/4". You cam pour the thin oil from the barrel into a pail pretty easy that way.

Grease is still fairly easy to get for free. It comes to me without looking or asking now. I used to get three 55 gallon jugs about every 3 months from a grocery store that had a deli. It was free, I supplied the barrels so I could just roll the new ones onto the trailer and replace with 3 empty ones. Many orgs like 4H, churches, etc hold money raising meal events on their own or at places like county fairs. If you know someone in one of those orgs they can probably hook you up with getting jugs of it right from their event.

Updated after reading the next post. I think cheese curds would be off limits in WI, unless someone figured out how to make it without milk. (Updated again, the regs specifically say cheese is OK to use, go figure)

21-Jul-15
Who checks cooking oil to see if it was used for "french fries and cheese curds" vs. "fish and chicken"? A local grocery store has a sign out right now, free 5 gallon containers of used cooking oil. Seems like a good deal if you're a bear baiter.

21-Jul-15
Trapperjack- A lot of the rules don't make sense, but we live with them.

I don't use used oil. I use a lot of peanut oil from peanut butter and corn oil, that's it.

No sense in getting a ticket over something you have no control over.

21-Jul-15
Honey is due to bears going after bee farmers hives. The WDNR last year ran DNA tests on a deer around us they suspected was taken illegally, had an 80 with multiple game cameras placed at heights with camo around them to not be detected by the hunter, and sent game cams and computers to Madison for analysis. Does anyone really think they will not test grease for meat by products. Our retired game warden who was cool said they will.

22-Jul-15
Not a lot of time to deal with much. Worse yet when your guests keep you out to 2am collecting dogs from a huge hell hole swamp!

Couple years ago I posted the message from the DNR about the yogurt. Now based on the regs your quoting to a guy that knows that like the back of his hand. Yougurt and many other thing would be illegal. Including many granola products. However, Like I am know stating for the 3rd time. I went to the top on this. Due to the manufacturing process it is legal. I did argue back. It contains an animal by product. Like I have done, the chief warden repeated himself. Of course I had to take another angle on it. Cheese is the result of a manufacturing process. That didnt fly though.

When I get time here in a few days. Will contact the chief warden again. Will also find and post those old messages on bait.

As for the oil in fish thing. WRONG!!! Any cooking oil used for anything can be used so long as it does not contain solid matter of the product it was used to fry. Solid greases can also be used. But only if they are place inside of the bait. So if you used shortening to fry something up. You can use it to bait. As long as it is inside the bait,and again not containing in solids of the material fried.

Also still have the email regarding this as well. Thought about asking my local warden today when we talked. But dont want his opinion. I want his bosses statement of fact! As that is what my local guy will have to go by!

Know a guy that wishes I did this leg work years ago. As he got ticketed for using fish oil. Fully legal, but local warden had his opinion. Which means nothing to his boss.

Remember not only is my fine possibly much bigger than yours. It could cost me my lively-hood. Dont think for one second not going to dot every I and cross every T. Opinions mean nothing. I need cold hard facts!! I will get proper clarification in writing.

24-Jul-15
Here is the response from DNR on oil/grease. Still checking the archives for the yogurt one. Waiting on dog food yet.

First Question: Fryer Oil used to cook/fry fish, chicken or other meat products

It is legal to use vegetable oil as bait for bear, even if it has been used to fry fish, chicken or other meat products. As you pointed out, it would be necessary to strain the oil to make sure there is no solid animal parts remaining in the oil. The smell is not the determining factor. It simply may not contain any bones, fish, meat, solid animal fat, or parts of animal carcasses. Liquid material that remain liquid at room temperature are not prohibited, except that honey is not allowed.

If you choose to use this liquid material as a scent to attract bears solely by the odor, it does not need to be confined within the capped hollow log or hole in the ground, but is considered part of your 10 gallon limit of bait. Realizing that all scent materials are also still considered bait.

Second Question: Grease, Shortening or similar materials used to cook/fry potatoes, or fish, chicken or other meat products

It depends what the grease or shortening is made from.

1. Cooking materials like shortening made from 100 % vegetable products, and not any animal fat, would be legal to use as bait the same as the above liquid vegetable oil, even if used to cook fish, chicken or other meat products.

a. Because this would not be considered a liquid it could not be used as a scent material outside of the capped hollow log or hole in the ground.

2. Cooking materials that are made up of, or include animal fat which will solidify when cooled to room temperature would not be legal to use for bear bait, as this would be considered solid animal fat, which is prohibited.

I hope the above information answers your questions fully.

Thomas Van Haren

Conservation Warden & NR Policy Officer

Bureau of Law Enforcement

Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources

(() phone: (608) 266-3244

Find us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/WIDNR

24-Jul-15
So, the way I have been using grease in Wisconsin for 25 years is legal. I knew it was but good to see it confirmed directly by a warden.

24-Jul-15
Steve-

Thank you for passing on!

25-Jul-15
Still got to dig for the other on yogurt, and manfacturing process. Been a long hard week of hunting. Averaged 5pm coming out of woods. With a 9 30, and 2am. Something wrong with vents in hunting truck. Has heat blowing all the time. For giggles had thermometer in truck yesterday. Got up to 160 at times. Really rough on me. Week with guests over, getting some much needed rest today. Try to figure that out, and dig through archives. Maybe another nap, lol

• Sitka Gear