CTCrow 30-Jul-15
notme 30-Jul-15
Richief 02-Aug-15
CTCrow 03-Aug-15
notme 03-Aug-15
Richief 04-Aug-15
20-Jul-15
has anyone built a home made target?

I want to build a 4x4 target and want some ideas.

20-Jul-15
Good idea,looking forward to seeing what people say. Targets are so expensive

20-Jul-15
There are plenty of posts on the big forum. Seems that most guys are buying the sheet foam insulation from the Depot and clamping it together with threaded rods and 2"x10"s. Looks like you would need quite a few to do it right.

Personally, I think your better off spending $100 and buying a quality target like a Rhinehart.

20-Jul-15
I need a 4x4 so that the wife can hit it.

20-Jul-15
Bloodtrail is correct, there are many posts on the BigGame forum about this very subject. Some of those guys are very good at building and describing how they built their targets, Also on the Wisconsin forum too. If you are handy and have the time it would be worth your time to do a search and read these posts; other wise go spend the $100 on a Rhinehart or a Block like the rest of us losers...Lol

20-Jul-15

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo
big shot and block close to 10 yrs,crappy dicks target for broadheads and thats 3 yrs old..also have 5 yr old deer targets.probably under 300$..i had wasp bag and 1gen block for 10yrs then tore them up with broadheads....part of the trick is to keep everything covered..i had a raised box i made out of 4x8x3/4 pressure treated,painted then a couple of coats of urethane.,lasted for yrs...ive built boxes and filled them with high density spray foam but only lasted a season or two,if you go the home depot route make it 12" at least with 1/2 ply behind it..

20-Jul-15
I contemplated the same thing last year ended up buying morrell outdoor range XXL . It's 36x44x13 ... Ended up paying 250 bucks at sportsmen outpost in sure they can order you one cheaper than website and anywhere only because shipping kills you this thing weighs 100lbs . Just didnt feel like any of the home made ones were great quality and materials are not that cheap to buy and build.

20-Jul-15
I saw one once that was made out of a rolled up gym mat. It was heavy but worked well.

20-Jul-15
Go to Tractor Supply and get 4 bales of straw at 11.00 per bale.A little hard to pull arrows out in the begin.Just like the aselsia bales we used to use back in the day,It will last a while,I have had mine set up since the early spring and they look like i will get 2 or 3 years out of them,I shot about 15 to 20 arrows a day.Good luck

21-Jul-15
Got a real simple solution that I've used in my backyard for years. I can get corrugated cartons at work. All I have to do is cut the cartons so the dimensions measure 3ft wide, 3 ft tall and 1 foot thick, place 2 metal straps around the bundle real tight and use it!! I leave it in the shed, drag is out when I want to shoot.

21-Jul-15
Hello Gilman manufacturing in Bozrah , Ct makes navigation bouyes for channel markers used by Coast Guard .They are built up etha foam and the cutoff's make nice targets.They go from 2.5' to 6' dia. cheap

D.B.

21-Jul-15
Crow make a rag target, 2x10s in a 4 foot box and fill with rags . put chicken wire on both sides to hold the rags in .arrows wont go through and zero effort to pull out. will last for years if you put a roof on it.

21-Jul-15
I need a 4x4 so that the wife can hit it ya right .lol

21-Jul-15
Lot's of good ideas. Except Steve. He only wants to hurt my feelings. ;-)

Thanks

21-Jul-15
see if latex foam in shelton will sell left overs..

21-Jul-15

Brosb4Does's embedded Photo
Brosb4Does's embedded Photo
I used the box from a 50 inch TV and stuffed it with plastic bags from a dry cleaner then taped a ten dollar Caldwell target to it. We have been using it for three years. Very easy to pull arrows out

21-Jul-15
I should've save my box. I will have to buy another TV. I think I found the winner.

21-Jul-15
what works good is rags or stuffing from a matters .

21-Jul-15
stuffing from a matters? What the matter? :) Get it?

21-Jul-15
how bout a slighty used blow up doll,lol

21-Jul-15
what's slightly for one might be abused by others.

21-Jul-15
You have to really stuff it in so you don't get a passthru. I'm talking about the target

21-Jul-15
Yeah right! I wish I could get a pass through ;) Lucky to get the point in far enough to,..............never mind.

21-Jul-15
pure as the driven slush..if u poke it just right it says "ieh poppie".lol

21-Jul-15
One of these days we'll have a thread that won't go off the rails.

21-Jul-15
now what fun would that be ?.

21-Jul-15
Go to Tractor supply and check out the rubber cow mats I think they are 4x8 and a couple of inches thick, maybe cut it in half and frame it to a hollow frame.

22-Jul-15
some people just look for mud,......so they can place their stick :)

22-Jul-15
That's why the ct site is # one we have fun .

22-Jul-15
you gotta laugh,its one of the few things this state cant tax you on.yet!.

24-Jul-15
I made one out of an old Tarp stuffed it with an old cut-up pool covers and the plastic bags left over from putting down mulch.. Still works, but I had bees make a hive in it and the tarp is starting to degrade after being out all year.. Need to re-engineer it. Only problem is my shoulder has been given me trouble all year.. Hurts to pull the bow. trying to figure out if I will muddle through or have it worked on.

24-Jul-15

shadow's embedded Photo
shadow's embedded Photo
Made this with milkcrates, rags and sheets and the front is a thick vinyl screen stapled on it. Center of milkcrates is cut out leaving an open shell, it's wire-tied together with 1/4 inch plywood reinforcing the outer edges. I havent measure it lately but its around 36"x36" and around 16" deep. Works great for field points, not so great for broadheads.

27-Jul-15

shadow's embedded Photo
shadow's embedded Photo
Another photo I have of it.

30-Jul-15
I burn four ton's of pellets a year I saved all the empty bags 's stuff them in a burlap bag and there's my free targets !!

30-Jul-15
I think I'm going with the carpet idea. I wish I had kept the old carpet I removed from my living room last November.

30-Jul-15
Try standing closer so you don't miss ! Oh its your wife I forgot .LOL

30-Jul-15
Can you hold it for me steve?

NO NOTME. We are still talking about the target.

30-Jul-15
thats between you two, leave me out of that circle jerk..lol

02-Aug-15
I was gonna make a target but couldn't,t find enough rags n bags. I read on another forum the 25 dollar bag target at china mart was decent. I picked one up today and it works great for field points, price was 24.88 I think. Just another fairly cheap option to throw out there.

03-Aug-15
Got a link Richie?

I went to home depot to price how much it would cost me to get new carpet for my target. I think it will be more expensive to do on with new carpet than buying one. If I do 8" strips, I would need about 250 sf of carpet to do a 4x4 target. @ 0.80 a SF, that's $200.00 just for carpet. My math could be wrong but I could get a proffesional target for about $225-250.

03-Aug-15
i could rent you the kid next door to me and a bag of apples..itll be safe,wrap him in that bubble stuff

04-Aug-15
Here it is CtCrow.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Buck-Commander-Archery-Field-Point-Target/26531812

• Sitka Gear