Connecticut
Contributors to this thread:
air leak 25-Jul-15
SixLomaz 25-Jul-15
The Dark Knight 25-Jul-15
SixLomaz 25-Jul-15
air leak 25-Jul-15
25-Jul-15
This thread is in response to "getting your bow tuned".

SixLomax asked for info from guys that had bows tuned at Sportsman Outpost.

A brief back ground to let you know where I'm coming from...

I didn't start bow hunting until I was 52, back in 2010.

I live in Naugatuck, and Sportsman's Outpost in Wolcott is less than 25 min from me, plus I heard good things about them.

Mike is one of the owners, and he set me up with a Hoyt Turbo Hawk, a mid level bow. It was tuned perfectly, I just need to practice and improve.

Last year, I upgraded to a Hoyt Faktor 34, and I gave my older Hoyt to my youngest son.

Both bows were tuned perfectly. My son and I wanted to see how tight a group we could get, and within 30 minutes we both had a Robin Hood at 20 yards.

Two weeks ago, Josh, the new bow tech, built me new arrows.

FMJ, with inserts, and beefed up the total weight to 489 grains.

Just yesterday, Friday, I went to Sportsman's Outpost with my bow, and Josh spent more than a half an hour retuning it to accept the heavier arrow.

I told Josh that I don't squat about tuning, and asked many questions. He explained everything, step by step.

I'll be out in the yard this morning shooting.

When my sons new arrows are ready, Josh will retune his bow.

I don't work for Sportsman's Outpost. I'm just answering the question that was asked about guys that have dealt with them.

I have had a positive experience with them, don't have any reason to go anywhere else.

Tom.

25-Jul-15

SixLomaz's Link
@air leak (Tom) - Thank you for your clarifications above.

He, he, he ... how much bowhunting forest time did you miss by starting at 52. You are in a special hunter category, the meteor bowhunter, as your career will be short and intense compared to all those who start at a young age.

It is funny how humans are attracted to nature despite modern distractions and continuous assault on human instinct to integrate with the circadian rhythm (see link). Sooner or later everyone will follow the animal instinct which is an important part of human species.

I for once feel more balanced since I started again fishing / hunting back in 2005. I quit fishing first time around 21 when the "civilized" society attempted to integrate/reform me thru social constructs imposed by a rigorous closed community. It took me a long time to understand and realize what I was missing in life. Today I wake up at 4-5 am only for the early morning walk in the forest or floating on the water regardless if I bring any food at the end of the trip. It is so good to feel the relationship to the natural environment and understand its meaning. A life without artificial noise and clutter should be the goal for each human.

Even though I am part of this bowhunting forum I have to admit that I am looking forward to the day when we stop using computers / texting as a mean of impersonal communication and go back to voice, hand shaking, and face to face experiences in the way we exchange information. Maybe 3D video communication will be the next step but even then some of our senses (smell and taste) will be impaired in an attempt to establish relationships.

I hope this technological assault is just a stage in human history and not the end chapter. It is time we understand how to make technology work for us instead of us working for technology. We were supposed to have more time for ourselves to develop and create while technology takes over the mundane tasks in our lives. Unfortunately it is not true at this time due to financial factors imposed by a profit (greed) driven society.

In closing I would like to state that I am not at andropause nor am I a lunatic. The above ranting is caused by a natural attraction to a simple yet meaningful life which is highly contagious.

25-Jul-15
The only one I would let tune my bow at sportsmanship outpost is mike the owner, but he is usually too busy and hires other guys to do the work, if he was doing it I would not have a problem....its just that two guys there screwed up my bow twice over the last 3 years, I don't remember their names. I also robin hooded an arrow after mike tuned my bow, then my brother in law picked up my bow and dry fired it...jerk. Lol . After that the others that tuned it messed it up worse till I went somewhere else and it was perfect after that.

25-Jul-15
Our expectation to have a positive outcome should be driven by a serious dose of common sense and technical knowledge even though we do not have the tools needed for repair. Knowledge is acquired thru learning and applied thru common sense. When you go to have anything serviced/fixed you are ultimately responsible for the outcome. If your knowledge level or gut instinct tells you something is wrong then you should overcome the urge to stay passive and state the obvious with a meaningful question / statement.

25-Jul-15
SixLomax…

Turns out that I was 53 in 2010, not 52! DOH..lol

I was not a novice hunter as I killed my first partridge when I was 13, and started deer hunting at 19. I talked about bow hunting for years before finally starting at 53.

I started both my sons fishing at about 3-4 and hunting at 13. They are now 30 and 25. So, yeah, I am a mentor. I just never thought about it like that.

Dark Knight… Mike tuned my first bow. Last year, Jim was bow tech, and had both bows tuned perfectly.

Yesterday, Josh, the new bow tech, re tuned my bow.

I don't work for them, just giving my opinion of a positive experience.

It's unfortunate that it was not the case for you.

• Sitka Gear