Bow Hunting East River
South Dakota
Contributors to this thread:
huntinfool94 26-Jul-15
Brotsky 27-Jul-15
grizzly 27-Jul-15
huntinfool94 28-Jul-15
26-Jul-15
I am going to try bow hunting the East River around brookings. i have a few questions like

are the public areas good for decent size bucks? are they over crowed? can you use tree stands? is getting permission to hunt private lands hard? any better counties than others for more deer and bigger bucks? what direction should i start scouting in?

i am completely lost since i am coming into a new state so any help with those questions would be great and any other tips would be much appreciated!!

27-Jul-15
Public areas can be very good early in the season. Once the pheasant season opens mid-October they get pounded pretty good by pheasant hunters and are less productive until the late season. You can use treestands but they must be labeled. I can't talk to the corwding in that area as I've not hunted around there. Good luck!

27-Jul-15
public areas do not rate as good for nice bucks due to the pressure. Largest university in the state with a lot of interest in hunting. Some years there will be 15 people hunting a spot. Next year, one. You can use portable tree stands, it is all in the regs. Greater chance of theft in public spots. Haul it in, haul it out. Never been shot for asking, sometimes they even say yes. Be polite and try your luck. Some landowners self regulate and only allow one person per spot. Do your homework and be specific on what and where you are asking for. A lot of the GPP's and walk ins get hammered, but usually not until after 10 AM unless your hunting on a slough. What I am getting at is many deer cross through these areas, especially in the mornings during rut. Sometimes, even some big ones. IF you are willing to travel a half hour, you can elude some of that pressure. Don't go south though. Good luck and remember that many die hard sportspeople decide to watch the game after it gets too cold outside.

28-Jul-15
thanks for tips! will be out scouting shortly.

• Sitka Gear