CaptMike 29-Jul-15
RutNut@work 29-Jul-15
CaptMike 29-Jul-15
buckmaster69 31-Jul-15
Bloodtrail 31-Jul-15
Mike F 31-Jul-15
27-Jul-15

Jeff in MN's Link
This subject gets touched on from time to time as it is right now in another thread. I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Sawyer county has a group called SCOPE, Sawyer County Outdoor Programs and Education. They used to be (I think) a Ducks Unlimited organization but saw how little money got back to the local area. So, they started their own local program. They help with the hunter education class. Bought snowshoes for the school. Paid for the bus cost to send school kids to an outdoor event. That is just a small list of what they do.

Check out their web site linked below. They even own a cabin on Lake of the Woods. One weeks rent gets used as a prize/raffle at their banquet. Otherwise the rental money it brings in goes to their programs.

Now if that isn't hunter recruitment at a local level I don't know what is.

If you are closer to their org than I am tell us more. If you know of other hunter recruitment efforts tell us about those.

27-Jul-15
Grant County each year offers and Outdoor Expo that runs an entire weekend and offers many outdoor skills dedicated towards hunting/fishing/trapping/taxidermy and falconry to name a few. There are learning activities as well for both children and adults over the week. My wife and I donate our time to the project by conducting a seminar and have had as many as 70 in attendance for one presentation.

Unfortunately I don't have anything else that comes close and was not aware of the Sawyer Project which sounds great!

The Ho-Chunk Nation was putting together an "Earth Day" in Baraboo to which I was invited to attend and speak about birds of prey - it was cancelled for some reason a week ago or so.

Our hunter safety programs seem to show fewer participants over the years as our Instructor base comments every year. We have 7 instructors that average 120 kids/adults in the program.

I really wished many on this site, as knowledgeable as some are - would step up to the plate.

If we polled the masses, I believe our numbers here would be rather small as participants. Yet we "preach" daily on any number of topics and concerns.

Here I know some of you that "mentor" students, neighbor kids or their own kids and that is great! Thank you for doing the right thing gentlemen!!

The true future of our sport lives within the youth of our Nation. The "stone age" antage that "I didn't need any fancy seasons or help getting involved as a kid" just doesn't wash. We live in a different time and we have cell phones and fast food these days people. None of us will live forever and yet some do little or nothing to keep or kindle the fires of our youth with providing those opportunities to get outdoors and hunt/fish and trap!

Get involved at any level - even if it's a trip in the woods with the neighborhood kids.

Pass along some of that knowledge and experience and make a new friend or two along the way! You wont regret it.

28-Jul-15
I assisted in two approved grants for learn to bow hunt programs for WBH and Poynette Bowhunters Association last fall. Each participant must be new to bow hunting or (preferable)new to hunting. We use the resources of each club's archery program for candidates. Each participant will be given a bow kit and all the necessary equipment for a weekend deer hunt. They also have a club membership to practice and enjoy the comradery of other members of the club.

Poynette first hunt is scheduled the first weekend of October at the MacKenzie Center. WBH equipment will be used for a learn to hunter at the Horicon Marsh Bowmen this fall. WBH will use the equipment to assist other club apply for grants for similar programs.

28-Jul-15
There is nothing like seeing the excitement of a kid and his/her first success in the woods. For the past couple years I have sponsored a couple kids on our property during the youth gun season. They have been successful. Anymore I get more excited when a kid has success then when I do. The best part about this is the fact that I can allow this to happen and it has not effected the rut hunting on our property (15 acres).

The past couple years I have allowed my friends kids to hunt but in the past I have had hunters who do not have the resources or time to get out and find a good property where their kids actually have a chance at success. All I ever look for is a thank you at the end. It is one of the most enjoyable parts of the fall for me, the youth gun deer hunt.

28-Jul-15
Good for you fella's! Women in the outdoors is another great organization that provides opportunities for the gal's in our world! What a great idea that was as well.

28-Jul-15
NWTF's JAKES does some hunt/fish/outdoor skills training in some areas, including annual one-day workshops at a local gun club. There are Learn To Hunt programs sponsored by many hunting and conservation clubs throughout the state, mainly turkey and pheasant but a few do big game and waterfowl, too. New this year, DNR/DMAP is shooting for a voluntary mentored hunting and trapping program. Every little bit helps.

28-Jul-15
Does the state have anything like a week long camp or anything like it?

I was nominated as a kid to attend Camp DeBruce for a week of outdoor adventures. Rifle range, archery, campfires, fish hatchery tour, hiking and canoeing. Great time. I was nominated by a local Sportsman's club in town as a "rep" for them.

There are a bunch of archery clubs, sporting clubs and trapping clubs that could do the same if Wisconsin has something like this.

Retention and recruitment start within the walls one ones home with their own kids and the kids friends etc.

People tend to sit their kids in front of boob tubes (tv) at a very early age to watch cartoons etc as it presents a quiet time for the parents to get things done. Cell phones, war games, I pads etc are given at a early age with little or no time restrictions other than a form of punishment.

These are only my opinion and my.02

28-Jul-15
Not sure on week-long camps, but DNR's Mackenzie Center has a diverse number of classes and also organizes some LTHs.

There's also the Outdoor Heritage Education Center in Hazel Green. They and DNR are behind the two-day Midwest Outdoor Heritage Education Expo weekend at MacKenzie (next one is May 18-19, 2016).

28-Jul-15
As I had stated in another thread, our SCI chapter has donated significant amounts of money to the two day Outdoor Heritage Expo. Actually, we were the catalyst to take this event over from the previous people who ran it and got it off the ground with the first major donation.

In addition, we fund a number of different schools with archery equipment for the NASP program. SCI allows 70% of the money raised to be used within the state and for the projects and use of the chapters' choice. We also encourage youth attendance at our annual "White Tail Night" as well as at our Banquets.

Used to participate in the youth turkey hunts at Wern Valley but free time has become rare these days so I have stopped that.

28-Jul-15
According to the DNR and others that are pro crossbow. The whole crossbow thing was all about hunter recruitment. It's only the second year, so in another year or two it'll all be good.

29-Jul-15
Was going to post before this morning hunt. Ran out of time. Anytime we can get an opportunity to teach the young anything about the outdoors should be a privilege. Today I had that opportunity. This is story from our whites woods & waters FB page I just posted. Couple pics on page.

Today got to do one of our favorite things. Take a kid out on their first hound hunt! 10yr old Dylan and I got to the woods by 5:30. On the way to first bait dogs struck a nice 4" track. Bear walked down road to first bait. Last bear in at 11pm. Checked second bait. Smoking hot track 10 mins behind. 100-125lb bear. Perfect for our young dogs, and Dylan. Not 15 mins in and Dylan got to hear what does not happen every day. They were catching that bear. Listened to it happen 4 times in first 30 mins. Got to explain when they went quite bear was running them back. 4th time really thought they put him up. Nope same thing got run back. Got to see how the bear gave them the slip in back track. Then worked it out. In the first 2 hrs stopped that bear at least 12 times. The young dogs just not strong enough yet to hold him. Had 1 older dog in as well, and got Chief in for a bit. Still could not hold or put up. Bear about run into truck at one point even. Missed a drop for fresh fast dogs, catching up Chief just exhausted. By the 4hr mark the bear had enough, and lined out. Dogs started to fall behind, and just flat got out run. Being young and first time ever. May have been hard for Dylan to understand. How happy I was with those young dogs. 20.1 miles they stuck it out. My guess was they had that bear stopped at least 15 times. Getting to hear every catch is awesome. Got to see how we turn the bear away from roads, the back tracks, watching the GPS screens. eating berries, exploring the forest, and just great dog work. I had blast, and thought he did too. Said he wanted to go again. Wasnt sure if being nice or shy. Until I heard from his parents later on. " Dylan had a great time, Now he is trying to convince Mom we need hounds!" Welcome to the dark side little buddy! Hooked on hunting and the outdoors always a good thing. Looking forward to some more training with him, and of course his hunt. I wonder, will it be in a tree, or with our furry kids? HMMMMMMMM

29-Jul-15
Rut, that was a false premise offered by those looking to establish a crossbow season. If it were to happen here, we would be the first. Other states that have implemented a crossbow season see almost entirely people crossing over either from firearms or vertical bows. The crossbow seasons do little to nothing as far as new hunter recruitment goes.

29-Jul-15
CaptMike, I know. I was being sarcastic.

29-Jul-15
I know, just wanted to spell it out for some of the others.

31-Jul-15
CaptMike +1

31-Jul-15
"Retention and recruitment start within the walls one ones home with their own kids and the kids friends etc"

What about the kid who has no one in the family that hunts?

How many here grew up in a non-hunting family?

Hopefully those "friends" of the kids are from a non-hunting family and they get the exposure.

Actually - retention and recruitment starts with each one of us....adults! Whether it starts in your own home, through a sportsman's club or just the neighborhood kid!

We steer the ship on this one!

31-Jul-15
Anytime we can get someone who wants to hunt out into the woods it is a good thing. They may learn that they enjoy hunting or they may learn they don't, but it is our job to give them the chance if we have the opportunity.

My Dad never hunted before he got married. My parents raised 4 boys who love the outdoors. We all hunt and fish, we also have children and grand children that love the outdoors.

Just an FYI, Portage County Parks is having a LTH Deer Hunt this fall, at Standing Rocks Park. The classroom part is October 24th, the hunt is November 7 & 8. Near Stevens Point. If anyone needs information on the hunt send me a PM.

• Sitka Gear