David Mitchell 31-Jul-15
gobbler 31-Jul-15
Babysaph 31-Jul-15
gobbler 31-Jul-15
Ron Miller 01-Aug-15
Babysaph 01-Aug-15
gobbler 01-Aug-15
28-Jul-15
All this talk of an American dentist killing Cecil, it made me wander if JR was the culprit. So, tell us JR, are you the Lion King Killer? :^)

29-Jul-15
That's too much money for J.R. to spend on 1 animal. That's a lot of pop cans to pick up on the side of the road to fund his hunts

29-Jul-15
That is true M.P. A lot of my friends have sent me the article. That is a bunch of money. I don't know any PH that charges that much. I smell a rat somewhere. I think the guy was in trouble in his own state as well. I am interested to hear the details.

29-Jul-15
BTW M.P. I recently removed the aluminum siding on my house to do some construction. I got over $800 for it at the recycle place. Paid for my elk tag this year.lol

29-Jul-15
Lol.I have heard stories about your recycling efforts to save the planet and fund hunts. There's gold in them ditches and hillsides.lol

29-Jul-15
Dr. J.R.,

You've only got 67 more houses to go to pay for a lion hunt.

29-Jul-15
I know Jimmy.

29-Jul-15
Dr. J.R.,

All kidding aside, I'm curious... I know you've been to Africa a few times. Were you around lions? Was lion hunting offered anywhere you've been? Isn't 55K waaaay out of reason, or is it getting really difficult to hunt them?

30-Jul-15
I have been to Africa several times. Lions were around all the places I hunted. I saw them on two trips to Zimbabwe. You can hunt them if you want to pay for them. They are usually baited like bears. Leopards are hunted this way as well. You have to have the permits to hunt them. And yes that price is a lot higher than you would expect to pay. That is one of the reasons I smell a rat. I don't know the details of the hunt obviously but that price makes me think it may not have been above board. That and the fact that I read they did not have the necessary paperwork to be hunting lions. This hunt just doesn't smell good to me. I wonder why the good doctor would pay that much to hunt them? I am interested to know who the PH's were. Was it done under the table? Lots of questions. And you are right. That is a lot of pop cans. LOL.

30-Jul-15
And do you know how many emails and texts I received after it was found out that a dentist killed the lion? Why couldn't it have been a plumber or somebody else?

30-Jul-15
Can you feel my love tonight?

Sorry, I just get all emotional when anyone talks Lion King.

30-Jul-15
That is not an unreasonable price for a lion hunt in Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe is cheaper than Zambia or Tanzania. I'm talking wild fair chase lion hunts. Not canned South Africa lion hunts.

Most lion hunts require a minimum of 21 days which is set by the government. You can hunt other species during that period also. You pay a set daily rate plus trophy fees for each animal killed or wounded.

When I killed my lion in Zimbabwe in 1999 I had well over 40,000.00 in the 21 day hunt not including transportation, shipping. Taxidermy and other misc. costs. That's been 16 years ago and inflation as well as supply and demand economics have caused lion hunts to soar since then.

I don't know or pretend to know if the hunter or PH did something illegal or not, I'll wait and see what happens then judge them. But that is not an unreasonable price for a fair chase lion hunt and actually in current prices is on the low to average price.

30-Jul-15
I can do one a lot cheaper in Zimbabwe. And not a canned hunt. I would say shooting a lion with a collar on it and one that has been named is a canned hunt. Lol

30-Jul-15
And I agree. I will wait too. I did read a quote by a government official Zimbawe that the hunters did not have a permit. But he could have been misquoted. I also read that one of the PH's has been arrested. I do know that killing that lion is not much of a practice builder. Lol

30-Jul-15

gobbler's Link

30-Jul-15
Thanks fella's. I didn't have any idea of the costs for the Big 5. Interesting.

30-Jul-15
When are you going for the Big Five, Jim? :o)

30-Jul-15
Not going to happen, Dr. Dave. I don't fly--remember?

I think we better call Hoppie to find out if any of his hogs have been named and if any of them are coming on his property from a park. I'd hate for us to get our names on the news.

31-Jul-15
You don't fly Jimmie?

31-Jul-15
Dr. J.R.,

Not if I can keep from it--bonafide case of flight phobia.

31-Jul-15
Never knew that Jimmy. I don't like heights but do ok with flying. If you guys are looking for a cheaper lion hunt contact Neil Summers with Bowhunting Safari Consultants. He can set you up on a great fair chase hunt in old Africa. And it will be with reputable PH's

31-Jul-15
JR, pigs are the most dangerous game I want to hunt! No lion, no way.

31-Jul-15

31-Jul-15
Come on Dave. Where is your adventurous spirit?

31-Jul-15

gobbler's Link

01-Aug-15
J.R., I hope if you are the Lion King- {lol}--you dont let them extradite you ! Remember in 98 when they---Zimbabwe Army took us in the back room at the airport and searched us ? Wasn't much fun then and I'm sure it would be worse now !

01-Aug-15
Yes I do remember. It's much worse there now.

01-Aug-15

gobbler's Link
I don't think anyone will be booking a bow hunt in Zimbabwe any time soon.

• Sitka Gear