CaptMike 31-Jul-15
Jeff in MN 31-Jul-15
Jeff in MN 31-Jul-15
Per48R 01-Aug-15
28-Jul-15

Turkeyhunter's Link
Observations and comments...

29-Jul-15
I don't know if I believe his side of the story. Sounds bad all around. He is clearly not good for the sport of hunting.

29-Jul-15
We don't know what really happened. News and anti hunters will ride this cat as hard as they can. That is for sure. If there was anything illegal his guide (and I use that term very loosely in this situation) was probably more at fault than he was.

29-Jul-15
A crossbow, glad he was not a bowhunter as we do not need that kind of press. He probably bought a separate crossbow tag so it was not full inclusion.

29-Jul-15
We know the kill was illegal. Yes, I agree the guides deserve the majority of the blame. I am simply saying he is not good for the sport of hunting. And regardless of the fact it was a crossbow I have heard it reported multiple times as a bow and arrow. Just heard it on GMA. I agree the antis will ride this as long as possible.

29-Jul-15
There's 3 sides to every story; my side, your side, and the truth! So far all we're hearing is the media's side which is notoriously anti-hunting.

29-Jul-15
they are now reporting he has a felony, in regards to a black bear killed in Wisconsin

29-Jul-15
Thanks for clarifying the fact it was a crossgun. WISN Channel 12 in Milwaukee reported that the lion was killed with an arrow. But, it doesn't matter. To the anti-hunting fanatics, it was killed by a "hunter" PERIOD

29-Jul-15
One of the articles shows a picture of him with the lion and he is holding a compound bow

29-Jul-15

Turkeyhunter's Link
More background on the accused.

29-Jul-15
Long and short of it is that this affects us all as hunters. I had a lady in my office just this morning go off on a rant on how this gives hunters a bad name. I know she isn't opposed to hunting at all because I have had many conversations about hunting with her. Many times I've given her some of the game meat that I cook. Also, she certainly didn't care what type a weapon this lion was killed with!

29-Jul-15
While I don't agree with all things SCI (high fence promotion esp. ) and some of the more egocentric types, the fact that it donates a lot of $ to youth and conservation programs is a plus in this day and age.

Not a "safari" fan (and wouldn't be even if a millionaire), but I'd rather see legal "hunts" than the poaching that is rampant in Africa. This one, obviously, was not a positive.

The photo of the dentist with bow and a lion here (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3177303/PICTURED-American-dentist-passion-hunting-killed-Cecil-Lion-bow-arrow-Zimbabwe.html) says it's not the same lion. Does mention how he's shot most of the P&Y animals with "bow" yet one has to wonder, bow or crossbow?

And RC, only you would mention the separate crossbow license.

29-Jul-15
Yea I had to defend us at a coffee get together this morning . When I explained that most African hunting is similar to high fence hunting on a bigger scale that seemed to help .

When I explained how many " hunters " hunted Africa compared to the total # of hunters in the US , that calmed them down .

To many hunters out there have lost sight on why the started hunting to begind with .

29-Jul-15
CBS This Morning had a reporter in Zimbabwe giving the lowdown. They compared shooting this particular lion in Zimbabwe like somenone shooting Lassie here in the US, very bad press...

29-Jul-15
I certainly don't know the facts of this story but I do know it is not uncommon to hunt animals that wander out of protected areas likes parks and reserves. It happens often on lands that abut Kruger National park. In that area, landowners routinely drop the fences between the park and their lands, allowing them access to park animals that stray. This is a legal and accepted activity.

Really, how different is it from the bison hunts in Wyoming for animals that wander out of Yellowstone?

29-Jul-15
"Professional hunter Theo Bronchorst and land owner Honest Trymore Ndlovu allegedly tied a dead animal to a vehicle to lure the beloved lion outside a national park so that American Walter James Palmer could kill him, according to conservationists in Zimbabwe.

The two Zimbabwean men appeared at the Hwange magistrate’s court on Wednesday, according to the Associated Press. They were charged with poaching offenses and for not having the required hunting permit, according to the BBC, which reported that the men were granted bail of $1,000 each and ordered to appear in court again next week.

Palmer shot Cecil with a bow and arrow, injuring it, according to an account detailed by non-governmental group, Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force. After tracking the 13-year-old lion for about 40 hours, Palmer is alleged to have killed the animal with a gun."

Baiting, poaching and crappy shot placement. It's going to be a tall order to put a positive spin on this.

29-Jul-15
Baiting is a common practice for cats in Africa. Dead animals, guts and carcasses are regularly dragged in order to leave a scent trail.

Crappy shot placement was most probably not done intentionally, unless this guy has a history of intentionally wounding animals (maybe that is how he keeps his taxidermy bill down?).

Is anyone inferring that following up a wounded animal and trying to dispatch it with a rifle is cruel, inhumane or illegal?

To each his own but before I formed any opinions, I'd want to know more about the facts before using statements by conservationists of whom I knew nothing about.

29-Jul-15
I've never heard about Cecil, are we sure he knew? It may have had a collar but how could you see it with the mane?

He paid 54k for a lion hunt and I would imagine there would be a huge trophy fee on top of it. He went to a game farm and a lion walked into his bait. He shot it. I guess I would not condemn him based on these facts. We are assuming he knew of Cecil and that the guide lured the lion out.

If I hired an outfitter to go on a sheep hunt(some places require a guide). He packs me in miles into the wilderness and without my knowledge, crosses over into a wildlife refuge. I shoot my sheep. Did I poach? By definition, yes but did I intentionally poach, no. I had no knowledge the animal was off limits.

If this is the situation, I feel sorry for the guy. His life and family is being ruined for something not intended.

I'm not a fan of these hunts, to each their own. I personally don't shoot what I don't eat like big cats, elephants, rhinos and bear(I guess you can swallow bear breakfast sausages fried in a gallon of bacon grease with your nose pinched).

29-Jul-15
I am in Oklahoma City and they just showed it on ESPN down here! Called it "bowhunter"

29-Jul-15
Geitz although I agree with you. There are many that say ignorance is no defense. This guy has prior game violations, and sounds like a d.bag anyway.

29-Jul-15
You also think bear taste like crap too...Rut?

29-Jul-15
A hunter shot something that wasnt fair chase in Africa? Good lord, what a shocker!!!!!! If that guy was any kind of ethical hunter he would have shot that lion in an enclosure over a water hole. What a bastard.

29-Jul-15
Well said.

29-Jul-15
All we know for sure is that the guy broke the law in the past, paid his fine and moved on.

There is still a lot to be heard in this case.

I am sure ethical hunters will have to answer questions as this progresses.

All I have to say is that this was not a hunt, a canned shoot and it will give hunting a black eye for sure.

29-Jul-15
Mike you mentioned this wasnt a hunt because it was a canned shoot. Im taking that statement to mean you think there are fair chase lion hunts in Africa. Can anyone tell me where they offer free range fair chase lion hunts in Africa?

29-Jul-15
Glad he was a bowhunter, we crossbow hunters don't need that kind of press. Now how stupid does your statement sound?

29-Jul-15
Different reports on weapon. Too bad if he was a real bowhunter, makes bowhunting look bad. Maybe he should have used a crossbow, scope them up and pull trigger, nothing to it.

29-Jul-15
Yeah, and less chance of wounding him and needing a gun to finish the job.

29-Jul-15
Press release, 7-29-15

SCI Suspends Membership of Hunter and Professional Hunter Involved in Death of Cecil

Washington, D.C. – Safari Club International (SCI) supports a full and thorough investigation of the circumstances surrounding the death of Cecil the lion in Zimbabwe. SCI has imposed immediate emergency membership suspensions of both the involved hunter and his guide/professional hunter, and they will remain in place pending the outcome of an investigation.

Safari Club International condemns unlawful and unethical hunting practices. SCI supports only legal hunting practices and those who comply with all applicable hunting rules and regulations, and SCI believes that those who intentionally take wildlife illegally should be prosecuted and punished to the maximum extent allowed by law.

Safari Club International is a 501(c)4 corporation, has approximately 47,000 members worldwide, many of whom also hunt worldwide. Safari Club's missions include the conservation of wildlife, protection of the hunter’s rights, and education of the public concerning hunting and its use as a conservation and management tool.

29-Jul-15
http://www.channel3000.com/news/minn-accused-in-african-lion-death-convicted-in-06-wis-bear-hunt-case/34401720

Another article I found I don't know if someone has posted this already

29-Jul-15
Retro-

I recall watching fair chase hunts for big cats years ago where they had trackers and a professional guide along. They spot and stalked the cats. They appeared to be fair chase at the time.

Dragging a dead animal behind a vehicle to lure the cats out of the preserve is beyond unethical.

If this guy and his guide broke the laws then the laws of the land should come down swift and hard on all parties involved.

He should also not be able to hide because he live in the US. We should hand him over and let the chips fall where they may.

29-Jul-15

Turkeyhunter's Link
Social media isn't giving Palmer a moment of rest.

He's probably in hiding and lawyered-up.

Either way we should let the investigative process let the facts of this case reach the light of day.

I'll reserve judgement until then.

This is a good blog link. If he's convicted of poaching or some other crime it will be interesting to me to see how he accepts it.

29-Jul-15
Mike F, how is that any different than using sweets to lure a bear to bait? How is it any different from the guy who uses a drag with doe scent on it? How is it any different from using live bait to attract a fish to take a lure? How is it any different from using crops or bait to lure a deer off of someone else's private property?

29-Jul-15
My thoughts are that the social media is running absolutely wild with this. It is amazing to me reading some of the articles on it just how one-sided our media reports.

There is another side to this story and I will most definitely be reserving judgment until it is heard.

30-Jul-15
There always is two sides of a story, but his history is not going to help his cause. But I do agree with holding judgment until more develops

30-Jul-15
Mike, it's way different. Those are all examples of hunting wildlife (or fishing), as in "wild." Did you watch any of the videos of Cecil in the refuge? I wonder, too, if they started the "drag" inside the sanctuary, which would, I'd imagine, be illegal.

30-Jul-15
Naz, maybe unknown to you, some parks in Africa are routinely hunted to control animal numbers. Those are "park" animals that are killed. Others are not and suffer great damage due to out of control animal numbers.

Yes, if the drag were done within park boundaries I assume it would be illegal. Many other assumptions could be made. Ill withhold judgement until far more facts are out.

30-Jul-15
This whole story is not good on its appearance. But I find it amazing and sad that the public is more outraged with this story then with babies being killed and their body parts being sold !!

30-Jul-15
He paid $55,000.00 to hunt this lion. Those guides (?) would have done anything he wanted them to do for that kind of dough. Plus, he's been in trouble before. He was fined for something he did on a bear hunt in WI. not sure what it was, but he paid a $3000.00 fine. Quite the scumbag !

30-Jul-15
Agree Mike, and Arrow, sadly, it's a sign of the times we're in. Way too many in the minority get the headlines while the majority (and common sense) are often overruled.

30-Jul-15
He shot a bear outside the zone his tag was good for. Then took the bear across state lines and it became a felony. Must be the reason he was using a x-bow being a felon.

30-Jul-15
If you go to the main forum, under the thread big big lion, there is a post from a very reputable PH, who has stated the facts well, and knows what he is talking about......

This is a poaching case. its too bad, because this guy, has caused a lot of damage,,,,,,,

Hunting in Africa, saves animals, brings in money for the economy, and feeds people,,,,,,

This selfish act, puts a lot of future efforts in jeopardy ........

You have to wonder now, fair or not, about his Pope and Young Entrys

He

30-Jul-15
CaptMike-

Lots of great questions. Not knowing the laws of the land down there I can't say if it was legal or not.

Ethics are a funny thing, we are all entitled to our opinions and at the end of the day we must each live with the decisions that we make.

Is it ethical to hunt bears over bait or with the use of dogs? I believe it is.

It is ethical to hunt deer over crops? Sure.

Do I believe it is ethical to hunt over bait for deer? If it is legal where you hunt, sure.

One thing is for sure this really gives hunters a black eye...

30-Jul-15
"Do I believe it is ethical to hunt over bait for deer? If it is legal where you hunt, sure." I agree with you Mike. What bothers me is how many people are quick to emotionally react to this story without even knowing what is legal or not. Taking an article written by "conservationists" at face value as factual and not being sensationalized is poor judgment, in my opinion.

Definitely a negative for hunters. If it is found that this guy broke the law then he should be punished.

Stagetek, while it is lot of money, it is not exorbitant nor unusual for hunters in some exotic areas to spend amounts like this.

30-Jul-15
I started trapping a few years ago, and using lure is a good way to bring in an animal. Any of you use doe piss? Whether the lure was used to target Cecil doesn't matter, emotions get attached because people personify animals. Social media is playing a big role in getting the news out and demonizing the dentist. Didn't the same type of thing happen to Melissa Bachman a few years ago? It must be a lion thing. Legal doesn't mean ethical. There are always somethings that are legal that people don't do because they don't believe it's ethical.

30-Jul-15
CaptMike-

Agreed!

31-Jul-15
I don't understand the thought that just because the guy spent $55k that somehow the outfitter would go above and beyond to get him a lion...it's not like the guy gets his money back if he doesn't kill something. Once the outfitter got his money it's up to the hunter to seal the deal. If that's the way it works I know a few outfitters that owe me a refund! Also, what happened to personal responsibility? This dentist dudes first move was to blame the other guy. One thing I've learned in a lifetime of hunting is you NEVER trust anybody to ensure that you are in compliance with game regulations...that is ultimately the person with the tag in their pocket's responsibility, and even more so if you are hunting "foreign territory". To say "I thought my guide knew all the rules" is simply a cop-out! Whether the outfitter led the dentist astray is moot because ultimately it was still the dentist's responsibility to know the law and hunt within that law.

31-Jul-15
One more reason to hate dentists! LOL

31-Jul-15
I think he paid 55k for the hunt, plus a trophy fee if he was successful. So guides would be motivated to do all they could.

All I really know is that at least half of what we are hearing is probably far from the truth. I also know that probably none of us and certainly very few of the people crying foul know what is and is not legal in that 'park' or where the cat was killed.

As far as dragging bait (scent) thru the park goes, if it actually happened I have no clue if it is legal or not there so it is just another rumor to me at this time. I bet just about every one of us has dragged a scent line at one time or another. I have done it for bear, deer, wolf, fox, yote, and probably other critters over the years.

I think SCI may have been a little premature in pulling his membership unless they have access to more reliable information than we do.

31-Jul-15
Good points Jeff!

South farm, are you always judge and jury? How much of the facts do you know?

31-Jul-15
Funny thing, If this guy was convicted of a bear hunting violation why does Wisconsin court search not have a record of any sort of violation for Walter Palmer? Not even a traffic ticket?

I tried to do a federal court search on him but it does not appear that normal folks are allowed to do that.

31-Jul-15
Just saw this on facebook. The picture on the left that they talk about is a picture of the girl that was killed and the picture on the right is the lion. This pretty much is a direct hit on the truth about how screwed up this country is these days.

The following is not my words, they are from facebook, I could not have come up with this good comparison.

**Warning** Be mad at me if you want for what I am about to write, but I do not fit into the mold of political correctness, and never will.

Cecil the Lion from Zimbabwe was killed unjustly by a foreigner who shouldn't of been there. Cecil was suppose to be protected by Zimbabwe's National Park Patrol. Killer receives death threats from people all over the US. People who stand up for Cecil are called loving.

Kate the Human from the US was killed unjustly by a foreigner who shouldn't of been there. Kate was supposed to be protected by US border patrol. No death threats around the US. People who stand up for Kate are called racist bigots.

Right now there are US citizens looking at this photo, looking back and forth at the pictures from left, to right. Right now someone's eyes are tearing like Jimmy Kimmel's did. As their eyes fill up with water, it is because they can't help but focusing at the picture to the right, and feel no emotion to the left picture. This is the reality of our current situation. This is what we are up against....

01-Aug-15
Jeff, There are two traits that, I believe, are becoming more common in america. Both may be due to technology. People just want to be "entertained". People don't want to think or work. Both work together to allow people have the following ideas.

1- Lets talk, text, blog... about something, even if I don't know what I am talking about. That's fun.

2- I don't need to think, work, or do anything for anyone but me, someone else is supposed to worry about everyone else.

Those ideas can flourish when It is considered politically incorrect to correct someone when they are wrong. The solution to someone doing something "stupid" is to require a warning be displayed to inform everyone that they shouldn't do something.

Something even worse is when congress decides a specific law need to be passed to "solve that problem". Someday there will be a law that all tires need the warning "do not put toes or feet under or near".

I work in I.T. and hears all kinds of excuses for people how did something that anyone spending 10 seconds thinking about it, wouldn't have done. Often the excuse is something along the lines if "it let me do that" or "it didn't stop me from doing it".

Sorry for the rant. But boy, my chest feels lighter.

• Sitka Gear