Red Beastmaster 07-Aug-15
Dale Hajas 08-Aug-15
RC 08-Aug-15
horsethief51 08-Aug-15
Rut Nut 09-Aug-15
03-Aug-15

rust4brains's embedded Photo
rust4brains's embedded Photo
I paid for my local butcher to do a European mount on my buck from last year. I got it back after 7 months, don't believe that it was put in beetles as stated, but either way, it has an odor. I looked in the skull but can't locate any tissue or anything this else in there. I've read online that I can re-boil the skull, some say to use bleach, others suggest peroxide. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

03-Aug-15
Sodium carbonate. Not sure if its boraxo or 20 mule team borax, but the one with sodium carbonite. Quarter of a cup. Do not boil it hard, just simmer about 40 minutes or so.

03-Aug-15
Thanks Art, I have Borax in the basement.

I don't know why my photo is upside down? I tried using the image tool and it still won't work.

03-Aug-15
I have done several over the past few years for myself, friends, and family. I highly recommend the sodium carbonate as well. I got a kit from cabela's and the directions recommend 1/4 cup per gallon of water. what i have found is that a lot of the odor comes from the sinus compartments which are very difficult to clean out completely. One thing that i have found works well is to use a long drill bit to get into the sinus cavities from the underside of the skull. This give a lot more of an area for the sinuses to drain. I will try to upload a pic soon (all of the skulls are at my dads house).

04-Aug-15

Dave G. 's embedded Photo
Dave G. 's embedded Photo

04-Aug-15
Pretty simple, Pat:)

04-Aug-15
I pull all that cartilage out with needle nose pliers.

04-Aug-15
Shoulda let Mitch do it :)

04-Aug-15
:) Yupper

04-Aug-15

PA Kevin's embedded Photo
PA Kevin's embedded Photo
This is the area I was talking about drilling. Just be careful not to go too deer. It really helps to clean out the sinuses.

04-Aug-15
Heck Pat,,, I pass up little bucks like that one, so don't fret about the smell:)

04-Aug-15
thanks everyone, even you old timer, I mean RC...

06-Aug-15
NEVER USE BLEACH!!!!!!!!

I followed a forum recipe for a do-it-yourself european mount and ended up with skulls that will not stop flaking! It's been several years and they are still flaking.

07-Aug-15
Red you're supposed to put the bleach on the DEER's skull NOT YOUR OWN!!

ROFLMGDAO

07-Aug-15
Geeze Red, I never knew that you actually got a deer.. Road kill? :)

07-Aug-15
I actually did shoot a couple bucks back when I owned a gun. 30 years of bowhunting, I have yet to kill a buck. I also bleached my two LONGBOW KILLED javelina.

Now I live in the supposed diseased deer area. I might have to do a euro mt on a squirrel or rabbit.

PS. I never did like either of you.

08-Aug-15
:)

08-Aug-15
So.. :)

08-Aug-15
Do it when the wife is out.

09-Aug-15
Pat,that's a great pic of Mitch, your deer and best friend! ;-)

• Sitka Gear