smokey 11-Aug-15
Jeff in MN 11-Aug-15
Bigwoods 12-Aug-15
South Farm 12-Aug-15
Bigwoods 12-Aug-15
07-Aug-15
DNR release

Good Neighbor Authority to improve forest health, create economic opportunity

Wisconsin will be the first state east of the Mississippi to participate in forestry management under an expanded federal-state partnership effort that aims to increase and streamline work on federal lands. The Department of Natural Resources will be working side by side with the U.S. Forest Service to ensure the program delivers environmental as well as economic benefits here in Wisconsin.

Called the Good Neighbor Authority, the program was expanded nationally in the 2014 Farm Bill and allows the U.S. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management to enter into cooperative agreements with states to perform forest, rangeland and watershed restoration projects on federal and non- federal lands.

In Wisconsin, DNR and USFS leadership anticipate the partnership will facilitate forest and watershed work on the 1.5 million acre Chequamegon- Nicolet National Forest. As part of the national forest's approved forest management plan, the results will create economic opportunities through increased timber sales which supports one of Wisconsin's largest economic sectors.

"Wisconsin is a leader in forest management and watershed restoration and the Good Neighbor Authority allows us to work hand in hand with the U.S. Forest Service to increase the public benefits from the federal forest," said Governor Scott Walker. "Our very first project will help support jobs in northern Wisconsin by increasing the amount of timber offered for sale. It will provide more of this renewable resource for producing valuable paper and wood products, while improving desired wildlife habitat."

DNR Secretary Cathy Stepp credited careful management of Wisconsin's forest for sustaining a vibrant wood and paper products industry.

"Wisconsin's paper industry has retained the No. 1 spot in the nation for more than 60 years," Stepp said. "In addition to the nearly 60,000 jobs and $4 billion in annual wages from the forest products sector, more than 6 million acres of Wisconsin's forest lands are open to the public for uses including hunting, hiking, bird-watching and other recreational activities. I am pleased that through the Good Neighbor Authority we can work closely with our USFS partners to build on the great work that they do, as together we grow the economy and provide an even better recreational experience for the public."

Under the agreement, the amount of timber offered for harvest under approved forest management plans is anticipated to increase by approximately 25 percent to more than 100 million board feet in the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest in 2016. That is still below the level authorized in the approved plan for the forest.

DNR's work will focus on preparing, awarding and administering timber sales that have already had all the inventory and planning work completed, said Paul DeLong, chief state forester with DNR.

"We are pleased that we can partner with the USFS to support implementation of the approved plan and increase the public benefits that the forest provides," DeLong said. "Most people don't realize that Wisconsin forests grow one and a half times more wood than is harvested each year. Managing forests to create desired habitat while removing forest products to meet the needs of a growing population and to sustain local communities is an environmental, economic and social win-win-win."

"The Good Neighbor Authority is a terrific way for the Forest Service to partner with state agencies to make improvements to the land," said U.S. Forest Service Eastern Regional Forester Kathleen Atkinson. "I'm excited to have a new tool that allows us to work together in unprecedented ways as we move forward with state and community partnerships into the future."

"Our first Good Neighbor Authority agreement with the state reflects several months of meaningful collaboration and establishes the groundwork for an even deeper partnership between our agencies going forward," said Paul Strong, Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest supervisor. "We are fortunate to have the capacity and forest management expertise of the Wisconsin DNR and its employees to help increase the work we can accomplish on the forest, which will more closely fulfill the goals and objectives of our Land and Resource Management Plan."

A portion of the receipts from Good Neighbor Authority timber sales will reimburse the state for its costs to do this work, with remaining funds available to be used by the state of Wisconsin to conduct additional restoration activities that will be identified through a collaborative process.

To learn more about the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest and its Forest Plan and activities, visit: www.fs.usda.gov/main/cnnf/home (exit DNR) and navigate to "Land & Resource Management. More information about Wisconsin's forest management can be found by searching the DNR website, dnr.wi.gov, for keyword "forestry."

07-Aug-15
here is another tip, when they say plastic or paper, ask for paper, we never accept or use plastic bags... from the grocery store...... I know its just a spit in the wind, but its something I do......

this is so great, for the future of our state,,,,,

finally everyone is getting on the same page.......

I have to say to the governor,,,, "well done"

07-Aug-15
Agreed, and special thanks to the Gannett Wisconsin Media investigative team that traveled to northern Wisconsin two years ago. The three-part "Timber Trouble" series they produced is a big reason this whole issue came to the forefront. It focused legislative attention to the state's logging heritage and jobs.

07-Aug-15
"I have to say to the governor,,,, well done" +1

07-Aug-15
This is a really good thing. I know the USFS has been short handed with timber folks to get the job done. There still is the issue of dealing with NEPA and the environmentalist so don't hold your breath. BTW, Governor Walker is not the one that made this happen.

I wonder how the issue with the RGS and USFS is coming along.

07-Aug-15
I believe the national forests in northern Wisconsin are so far behind in getting sales approved (past the tree huggers) and cut that it will take years to get back to where they should be. Hope this really speeds up the process to get in catch-up mode instead of continuing to fall further behind.

07-Aug-15
Razor-

Agreed! I hate plastic bags, plus they are a pin to get rid of. Many west coast cities are trying to do away with the plastic bags you get in the stores.

No need for them!

11-Aug-15
In some areas of the North, there has been so much logging that there is hardly anything huntable anymore. I do realize there are others areas with only mature timber that need cutting, but it isn't needed everywhere.

11-Aug-15
What areas specifically have been logged so much there is hardly anything huntable? I'd imagine there would be a lot of interest if this is public land, as within two or three years of logging it's typically a whitetail paradise for both feeding and bedding.

11-Aug-15
Naz- there is a pile of it East of Gordon that has been logged so extensively that many parties have left the area and don't hunt it anymore. Miles and miles of clearcuts.

11-Aug-15
Not many public areas without cutting to the East. My family has hunted the area for over 60 years. Many camps left the area

11-Aug-15
Look on Google Earth to see the clearcuts and timbered areas around there. Yes, some cutting to be sure but still some areas without cutting. Interesting to look west of Gordon and then east near Barnes. Biggest clear area is the site of the Germann Road fire. Should be some good blueberry soon and some regen.

11-Aug-15
If those clear cuts are public land I am guessing they are county land. Counties seem to be a little more aggressive because they need the easy revenue and there is less red tape for them to go for it.

12-Aug-15
Jeff-

You are correct sir it is mostly county land.

12-Aug-15
I bought land near Grantsburg a year and half ago, and between storm damage and oak wilt there is hardly a tree left around here. Every weekend is filled with the drone of distant saws and logging operations. A lot of private land sales for firewood, but even the public land by me is getting attention from loggers. Looks desolate, and sad to see the old oaks go, but the deer gotta be loving it! Hopefully it will help bring back the population around here as there isn't much if any ag near me.

12-Aug-15
Sounds similar to our area South Farm. Hard to hunt mile after mile of clearcut. The population is very low as well in our area and showing no signs of improvement yet

• Sitka Gear