Redclub 24-Aug-15
razorhead 25-Aug-15
buckmaster69 25-Aug-15
CaptMike 25-Aug-15
10BUCKS 08-Sep-15
Zinger 09-Sep-15
10BUCKS 09-Sep-15
07-Aug-15
Just got my Bow license today. I wasnt expecting to get a backtag. I thought they were on their way out and we wouldn't have to wear them this year!?

Anyone know what's going on?

07-Aug-15
What do the regs say about them?

07-Aug-15
Yes. What do they say???

07-Aug-15
Well, I get my regs when I get my license. I'll tell you in a month. If you can't wait, they have a website.

07-Aug-15
Knife,

I can't find anything on their website and they sent me a small game booklet and not a deer hunting booklet.

07-Aug-15
Hope they just didn't have the time or resources to change the tag to something else and the back tag is being issued as your license and tag. (not to be worn unless you really want to)

07-Aug-15
Go to the WDNR chat - you'll have your answer in minutes!

07-Aug-15
I haven't seen anything stating back tags were eliminated.

07-Aug-15
Downloaded the PDF regs. Back tags required for yet another year.

08-Aug-15
Another dumb requirement that has been in Wisconsin for way too long, much like the silly in person registration requirement that finally has been removed. I would think that with no more in person registration, and no more back tags (whenever that becomes a reality) this should save some manpower hours at the DNR and possibly looking into more staffing cuts might be in order. Never hurts to trim a little fat off here and there.

08-Aug-15
Thanks Knife

08-Aug-15
"Never hurts to trim a little fat off here and there."

Better yet use that extra manpower to better patrol and enforce the remaining game laws.

08-Aug-15
Rut +1

08-Aug-15
Well I agree with Rut, and by the way, in person registration is not completely dead, since they are going to have it still in some places,,,,, I was told

what we need is more wardens not less....... they for the most part work hard, to protect our resources, for long hours and little money,,,,,,,,,,,

I have no problem with the back tag, doesn't bother me in the least..... I put it on my pack, and its never been an issue......

either way, not that big of a deal..........

08-Aug-15
Just got off DNR chat..."Kayla" said, yes...the backtag still needs to be displayed.

Bummer...lol...

08-Aug-15
I'll be sad to see them go. As a youth one of my proudest moments in my young life was pinning that tag to the back of my way to big coat and became a deer hunter.

Everyone is quick to trim some fat. Just remember that fat is a person who's life and family depends on that job. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

08-Aug-15
I can't understand for the life of me how someone can recommend that the WDNR cuts more jobs. First off, it is sad in today's economy to see people lose their jobs and livelihoods. Also, as others have noted, WI needs more wardens not less unless you are one of those violator kind of guys still holding a grudge ;).

08-Aug-15
I don't begrudge any wardens. On a few occaisions I've been a little "grey" in interpretation of some game reg or another, and never hesitate to call my local warden for clarification. They've always been happy to provide the info I was after.

Yeah, some can get a little overly rambunctious in the execution of their duties, but I think that's the exception, not the rule.

Keep your nose clean and you'll be fine with them...they've got a job to do and we have a responsibility to adhere to the rules of the road.

08-Aug-15
I never heard a word about not having backtags. I hope they stay. I got 2 trespassers that way. One in person and one on a game gamera.

08-Aug-15
I pay $5 extra for my tag,reserved no.

08-Aug-15
"I can't understand for the life of me how someone can recommend that the WDNR cuts more jobs. First off, it is sad in today's economy to see people lose their jobs and livelihoods. Also, as others have noted, WI needs more wardens not less unless you are one of those violator kind of guys still holding a grudge ;)."

Happy, you need to get over your dream that I'm RC. When it gets to the point that you're insinuating I'm a violator (I who am not RC) because I say I believe the DNR could use a little "fat trimming" your mancrush obsession has gone a little too far. So once again, I am not RC, I'm not a violator, and I would suggest you quit insinuating that I am. BTW, I've had many encounters with wardens over the years. Whether investigating violations I've reported or using my land to access other lands for investigations, all encounters have been positive.

08-Aug-15
I would go as far to say that I would support a license fee increase across the board. If the funds could be used to bring more wardens on. I completely agree that I never wish anyone (besides certain politicians) out of work.

08-Aug-15
I would support an increase in license fees also. $300 for non res and $35 for residents. Keep the back tags, pretty simple to attach to coat and hunt.

09-Aug-15
They dont need more wardens. Just the wardens they have to do the right job. Im against the wardens and that wont change. And yes i guess you can call me a voilater because 1 time 8 years ago i hung my orange jacket next to me in the stand when it was 70 degrees out during muzzleloader and i was bowhunting. And yeah on my 50 acre farm i own and had a warden come walkimg out and write me and treat me like scum. So from that moment on i will never ask for there help or help them.

09-Aug-15
RJN +1 We also need to find a way to track those that live out of state but buy resident because they own property in WI.

09-Aug-15
RJN, Wisconsin deer hunting is not worth $300. It is hardly worth half of that. Many NR's that don't hunt on their own or family land would quit deer hunting in Wisconsin. I hear the cheers from the gallery now.

Pasquinell, I would think that cross checking resident hunting and fishing licenses sold with databases like drivers licenses and state income taxes would already be a routine thing. If not it should be. It would be a cheap investment, a day or two of programming and testing would be all it would take to get a list of suspects to investigate. People that recently moved into Wisconsin or have no DL or income taxes should be the only legal people on that list. I guess there could be a lot of kids on that list so they might have to limit the search to adults.

09-Aug-15
Wisconsin deer hunting is not worth 300.00

now that's a sad statement on the mind of hunters of this day and age, if that is true,,,,,

I pay close to that in MI, and believe me, in terms of hunting its even tougher, but I am more into the hunt itself, than carrying a score card.....

attitudes like that, my answer is ,,,,, go play golf

09-Aug-15
Jeff in MN I would have to respectfully disagree on the 300 dollars being hardly worth it.

I am one that would be cheering from the crowd.

I also know of a family member that did buy resident for many years and lived in Illinois until they sold the property. It goes on more than we think.

09-Aug-15
Jeff- I guess it depends on what part of the state the non resident hunts. I can say in our area it would be worth it. I dont know many states that you get 2 doe tags and a buck tag. Now up in wolf country, probably not. Sounds like Noone should be hunting some of those units either way for a few yrs.

09-Aug-15
"Happy, you need to get over your dream that I'm RC. When it gets to the point that you're insinuating I'm a violator ."

Ronny, I never mentioned your name at all but you came in like a dog waiting for a cookie and a rub behind the ears. You do it every time under your new name, on cue in fact. I simply questioned why someone would want others to lose their jobs and livelihood for no reason. Knowing you are a violator made it easy to figure out because you are obviously still be holding a grudge. Now carry on with your man crush mantra. It’s all you got. Please don't ruin this thread now too Ronny.

09-Aug-15
"Ronny, I never mentioned your name at all"

lol you need some serious help. Tell you what it's apparent you're still exciting yourself by thinking I'm Ron and that Ron is actually talking with you (apparently "Ronny" to you OMG) so I think the best thing for me to do is to quit talking to you so you're forced to obtain your excitement elsewhere. Holy crap you've got it bad. ;-)

"Wisconsin deer hunting is not worth $300. It is hardly worth half of that. Many NR's that don't hunt on their own or family land would quit deer hunting in Wisconsin."

That's a very good point and unfortunately I think a lot of people feel that way. To me deer hunting is worth quite a bit but I also hunt private managed land. It's understandable that folks start wondering "is it worth it" after countless hours on stand seeing nothing, even if they can be assured NONE of the ZERO deer they saw had CWD. Also (and again unfortunately) I think it's going to take the DNR a long, long time repairing the damage they've created.

09-Aug-15
As far as back tags can't get rid of them soon enough. Pain in the back, won't even list the number of reasons I dislike them and have written legislatures to dispose of them. Caught plenty of trespassers on our lands and never had a back tag help with any of them or the prosecution. In reference to raising nonresident hunting license fee I hope not. My daughter is a single mother with two children I hunt with. She lives out of state. It is restrictive for her now, $300.00 a license would be a deal breaker. My son is moving back to the midwest, has three children but will likely not settle in WI, no jobs in his field. Plus poor economy anyway. So selfishly I hope there is no raise of that sort or we will lose those current and future hunters. I wanted to add my daughters ex (thank GOD), does everything he can to stop them from hunting.

09-Aug-15
I suppose on some well managed private land in some counties 300 would be well worth it. Last few years I did any hunting on public land in buffalo county it would not have been worth 300. That was probably 10 years ago.

The last 3 years hunting reasonably well managed private land in Sawyer and Washburn county it was NOT worth the 160 from a hunt quality perspective. I saw 1 deer hunting most of 9 days gun and 1 day muzzleloader. Sure the snow last year contributed to that but sign and cameras told the same story. Can't even blame baiting in Washburn county because that was a no bait county.

It was almost as bad as northern Minnesota got starting about 12 years ago when wolf packs started to dominate the landscape.

It is very possible I won't buy a WI license this year. I will be hunting Kansas and depending on how long I hold out for the right one there and hunting Minnesota some this might just be the second time in 50 years that I do not hunt Wisconsin at all.

09-Aug-15
Oh ya, and those people that hunt gun season from a tavern barstool or the camp table playing cards might still come but would not be too likely to donate 300 to the state.

09-Aug-15
I'd never support making or keeping any type of job simply to keep someone working. A job pays a wage, if that job cannot justify its own existence with equal or more value to the person/entity paying the wage, it is nothing more than an erroneous form of welfare and a financial burden on someone.

As far as backtags go, they are nothing more than a antiquated bother with no meaningful purpose. A tag on the back can be noisy against a tree and a lost one is a cheap ticket for a warden to write

09-Aug-15
I have to laugh when I hear people say they couldn't afford a license increase. I would bet most anything that I probably make the least of anyone on this forum. I'm not complaining at all, it is what it is. But if there is something I want to do bad enough, I find a way to reprioritize other things.

09-Aug-15
"I'd never support making or keeping any type of job simply to keep someone working. A job pays a wage, if that job cannot justify its own existence with equal or more value to the person/entity paying the wage, it is nothing more than an erroneous form of welfare and a financial burden on someone. "

Great point Mike and I concur with that 100%. Do you feel the WNDR needs to cut wardens because they are not doing their jobs or that there are too many wardens?

09-Aug-15
Happy, glad you concur. The statement you quoted has nothing to do with wardens. It is a general statement that applies to any "job" that does not serve a purpose. I am pretty sure you knew that but I did spell it out, just in case did not.

09-Aug-15
I just received my licenses today via mail and rec'd a small game booklet, but nothing for deer. Kind of a head scratcher when we're only 35 days out now...

09-Aug-15
Happy, I cannot answer your question because it is based on a false premise. I never said warden jobs needed to be cut.

10-Aug-15
HunterRC, the only thing that would make this more comical is if you would post the opposite of your true thoughts, like you did when trying to mislead with Howatt. But you toe the line perfectly here: DNR basher, backtag basher, happy basher, etc. Can understand why you don't want to give this one up, though, because you've had it as an extra for many, many years.

10-Aug-15
How did this go from having to wear a backtag to wardens doing or not doing their job and cutting the number of wardens out there?

1 to 2 wardens per county is not enough to enforce the laws they have to enforce.

Backtags are your license, love it or hate it, wear it to be legal.

If and when they do go away from backtags it will give all the wardens the ability to stop and check any hinter they encounter in the woods and take away the ability of landowners to catch trespassers if they are wearing their backtags.

As far as registration, again love it or hate it, it has changed. We have lost the ability to compile kill data in regards to sex age and kill, not to mention how many does will get registered as bucks or unregistered.

It will be interesting to say the least!

10-Aug-15
Mike F, as happens to most topics, one statement leads to another and in no time the conversation can change direction completely.

No one here has said anything about not following any laws. For myself, as long as backtags are required then I will continue to wear it. That does not mean I would not push to have that law changed, nor that I will relish the day it is no longer needed, if that should ever happen.

These are discussions that are highly charged with opinion. Even though we all have the desire to hunt as a common link, it does not mean we all think exactly alike in all respects. You, yourself indulge in sharing your opinion, and there is nothing wrong with that. Apparently some in a position of influence feel the herd can be managed without the kill data you cite as being lost. That is just a differing opinion from yours.

10-Aug-15
CaptMike-

Agreed, but I feel that the people in a position of influence are wrong when it comes to on line registration vs in person registration.

As far as the registration process causing the loss of jobs I find that really hard to believe and to the cost savings I don't feel the registration process to amount to a hill of beans in the whole DNR budget.

Like I said it will be interesting to say the least.

10-Aug-15
Agree Mike, crossbows will get a lot of the blame years down the road, and they certainly will play a role. But the ease of taking "extra" deer with bow, crossbow and firearm starting this year (even "roadkills" - no more need for a tag or even to wait for an officer to show up) is unprecedented, with very little oversight. Yes, poachers/cheaters will continue to poach/cheat. But it will now be a whole lot easier to get away with it. Citizen tips that used to come in from registration station sightings of something that didn't look right will be a thing of the past. Those who don't have loose lips in the taverns or workplace will work the system and negatively impact the future buck take, esp.

10-Aug-15
"locks keep honest people honest" As does in person registration. I admit it will be more convenient to call or use online registration when I am down on our property 1.5 hours from home. But if I was REALLY worried about convenience I wouldn't hunt. Everyone seems SO worried they might work too hard at something now days.

10-Aug-15
I cannot help but wonder how much illegal activity occurs in the majority of states that do not have in-person registration. Are their deer managers and wardens that much better than ours?

10-Aug-15
I wonder what states don't even require any sort of registration. Iowa was that way not too long ago.

12-Aug-15
MI does not require registration either. However, they will this year in their new CWD zones.

12-Aug-15
It's not apples to apples comparing WI to other states; for example, many states have far fewer hunters (IA for example) and MI has been a sea of controversy for the past 10-15 years at least. But, we've got what we've got. Wisconsin is open for business. What kind of business is debatable. This is the new normal (until the next new normal comes along). Many wonder whether or not our natural resources can survive the current relaxing of regulations on frac sand, mining, shore land, wetlands and groundwater, among others.

12-Aug-15
They have been dumping raw sewage in Lake Mich for years during heavy rains. That in itself just kills me. I live in Kenosha and walk the shoreline paths every day. It is disgusting to smell the gas fumes and look at the oil slick coming out of the storm drains from this wonderful place.

I could care less on the back tags. If we have to wear them so what and if we don't great. I guess its a cost reduction???

12-Aug-15
10-4 on that on Pasq. The Milwaukee River is always a cesspool after the heavy rains and the MMSD gets away with it. It can downright stink down there. Crazy that some people even eat fish out of the Milwaukee harbor, especially Browns. Kinda wanna gag thinking about it...

19-Aug-15
I have a Blaze orange vest for gun season, and a camo vest for bow hunting. I put my backtag on those vests, and wear them over all my other layers. If I get hot, I can take off layers, and then just throw the vest back on. Never a problem, plus the vest holds my calls, cell phone, etc.

Never really understood all the backtag hate, and as someone wrote earlier. As a youngster, pinning that backtag on my coat each fall was such a thrill.

19-Aug-15
Agree Dampland. An old-timer has invited me to see (and photograph) his collection of backtags dating back many decades. It's a part of history. Never had a problem with them. Just don't buy a cheap, noisy holder and no worries.

19-Aug-15
I tend to wear the license plate on my pack. It is in the proper place on the way into the woods and out. My pack hangs on the tree while I am there. A warden that I talked to said he'd not mess with someone that did it that way. Just as soon shuck the thing as I lost one once and it cost me a couple days of hunting while the thing was being replaced (for a fee, of course). I've hunted Minnesota, Wyoming, Montana, Alberta, Ontario, Saskatchewan, and other assorted places. No worries about not having a billboard on the back.

19-Aug-15
lc, I also wear mine on my pack. I have talked to wardens in every county I hunt in, and they have also said they have no problem with this. I really could take them or leave them. I guess I'm just so use to having them. It is kind of odd hunting other states, I find myself checking for that damn backtag;)

21-Aug-15
I am a pack guy myself.

A warden that would write a citation for that, well, just not much of a warden I suppose. I am sure the vast majority would be happy just to see you with it and displaying it.

I'd miss the ole' tag - just old I guess.

21-Aug-15
I guess it shouldnt come as any suprise that in todays society wearing a back tag is a huge burden for many. And just think on top of that, guys who drive to their hunting locations need to carry a drivers license in their wallet to. Life is tough aint it?

21-Aug-15
Retro-

Are you saying everyone should wear their drivers license on their backs like back tags or are you saying hunters should keep their licenses/backtags in their wallets instead?

21-Aug-15
I also spoke with a warden about this two years ago. I lost a backtag walking in to a public spot with my climber on my back. Shot a doe and went to take my backtag off and wouldnt you know it, my backtag was gone. Needless to say, about three hours, a half hour drive, 10 dollars (or whatever it costs for a duplicate) and about two extra miles of walking, I got a tag on the deer and dragged it out. When talking to the warden, he said he would suggest pinning it to my pack, strapping the pack on my climber so it is visible when walking going to and from my stand. Seems pretty reasonable to me, but I'm sure there is be a warden somewhere who wouldnt think so.

I love the tradition of the backtags as I have all of mine pinned up down in my man cave/trophy room, but having to wear them while hunting is somewhat unnecessary. That being said, I've never had a problem with trespassers where a trail cam pic with the license plate on the back of the violator could be useful.

21-Aug-15
I just hope people find the strength to carry on even if we have to wear back tags. :>)

21-Aug-15
Retro, today's society includes compound bows, trucks, atv's, blinds, camo clothing etc, etc. Please tell us, exactly where do you draw the line between what is and what is not a necessary "burden?"

22-Aug-15
I have no idea what a license back tag and a requirement to wear it has to do with atv's, trucks, blinds, and bows etc....?

22-Aug-15
All those modern conveniences reduce the burden of hunting, so I am curious which ones you use to help relieve your burden. Do you use a compound to relieve the burden of hunting with a conventional bow? Do you climb trees and sit on a branch or do you relieve that burden through the use of a tree stand? Many more items that could be expanded on.

22-Aug-15
I agree with Retro. Don't you guys see what he is saying? You make the backtag out to be some real big issue when it really is not a big deal.

It's called sarcasm or something like that.

22-Aug-15
Exactly Smokey! Good lord, of all the issues facing Wisconsin hunting, how does one pick back tags to be the problem? To each there own....... Off to the gym to hit the weights. Seasons fast approaching and Im in no shape right now to carry that darn back tag around. :>)

23-Aug-15
I have no problem having a backtag and have proudly worn it since the first day I was legally allowed to purchase my first deer license. It has never bothered me or my hunting when worn on my back or my backpack. There are bigger things in the hunting world to worry about then a backtag.

23-Aug-15
I am fine with the back tags. I would be all for license rate to go up to $300 for non-res hunters. The one thing I wish they would change is to allow land owners that live out of state to purchase a license at a resident rate..

23-Aug-15
A hahahahahahahaha! LOL

23-Aug-15
Again I will say if you believe that backtags are such a good idea then why not require them on turkey hunters, duck hunters, mushroom pickers, or even when checking trail cameras? Do you not think these people trespass also? Heck why not require EVERYONE to wear one? Then when someone robs a bank their backtag number will be clearly visible to the bank tellers?

I also don't understand the issue with call in registration. People say that people will abuse the system, like they couldn't do the same before? Before you tag the deer, drive it home and cut it up - you can do that without registering it same as you can now.

Are these two things big deals? To some they aren't and to others they are. For me to register a deer in my county requires me to go to one of two gas stations that both close at 10PM. So I shoot a deer in September right at dark, track it down and it's already 10PM. Now I can't register it until the next morning yet it's 75 degrees out. I would much prefer to cut it up immediatly when I get it back to my house.

23-Aug-15
I agree with Zinger on that last point. Lsat year I shot my deer opening weekend. We didnt get it in the truck until almost 10pm. Luckily we have a local guy with a walk in cooler that was willing to help us out. If not we would have been in a bad spot.

Overall I am just not emotional on if we have to or dont have to weat the back tag..

23-Aug-15
To add to that where I used to gun hunt it was a 20 mile trip out of our way to register a deer.

23-Aug-15
Backtags again... They need to go. You know Pennsylvania makes you wear your fishing license in a visible spot. How would you backtag advocates feel about that? Your out in your boat, or wading a stream and your required to have a license pinned to you. Sounds pretty stupid doesn't it. I know this is a backtag thread but someone else brought it up, having to register your deer in person is stupid too. I have hunted several states without in person registration, it is sooo much nicer than taking your deer back to town to check it in. Last year one deer I shot was phoned in before I even left the tree stand to field dress it. I took it home and processed it right away to keep it from spoiling. Heck, one state I lived in made you send in a post card after the season was over to register you kill. Cheaters will cheat no matter what. Get rid of mandatory backtags and in person registration. If some people still want to do these things, let them. I doubt they will.

23-Aug-15
Trapper +1

23-Aug-15
Trapper +2

23-Aug-15
Trapper, retro and the rest, I have always worn my back tag. I can't say I did it proudly, I simply did it because it was the law. I'll continue to do it as long as it is the law. I am not in Madison lobbying to get rid of back tags, but I certainly will not miss them if and when they are no longer required.

Trapper, there are just as big, or bigger issues facing us in this world than only hunting related issues. Where do we get to draw the line between what is and what is not important enough to comment on?

23-Aug-15
Trapper -1

23-Aug-15
Mike, Pretty certain you will get your wish soon. It matters not to me one way or the other. There's been lots of changes to Wisconsin hunting. Interestingly enough it seems hunters are more discontent than ever, even with all the "improvements" made?

23-Aug-15
Yes there are larger issues to be concerned about but this is a simple one to change. And for those who "wear them proudly" or love the tradition I'm pretty sure you will still be free to wear a tag on your back if you want.

24-Aug-15
Trapper +4

24-Aug-15
Retro, other than the decimation of the herd in the north, what are other points of concern to hunters? Personally, I am very content, as are the people I talk with.

24-Aug-15
"what are other points of concern to hunters"

- Increased predation, probably at record highs

- Registration changes (many for and many against)

- CWD increasing annually in infection rates and counties

- Crossbows (many for, most against, huge point of anguish with many)

- Baiting (Dr Deer said to resolve one way or another and not resolved - some for, some against - always a hot topic)

- Northern forests still need much work

- Fact does can still be killed in buck only units in the north

I'm sure others will have no problem adding to this.

24-Aug-15
Point taken, Happy. Those are all concerns. I guess I am just satisfied enough with my WI hunting that overall, I am very content with it.

24-Aug-15
There are things I wish were different, especially in the north, but I too am quite content and still think we have it great in WI.

24-Aug-15
what happy said.

24-Aug-15
Trapper +5

25-Aug-15
happy the north will turn around quick, now with the state and feds joining forces, and with a few mild winters, could be pretty good....

even without mild winters, more cutting, puts deer in better shape, for the winter,,,,,,,,

I see in WON that Bortz is still ragging on this complaining that now the state has to do the feds job......

what a whiner, heck its his liberal believers, that screwed up the USFS, and their plans, in the first place..........

25-Aug-15
CaptMike +1

25-Aug-15
Razor +1

08-Sep-15
I don't see the need to wear a back tag on my own property!

09-Sep-15
10BUCKS, I don't see the need to wear one anywhere but why do you feel that you don't need one on your property if other people do?

09-Sep-15
I don't just let anyone hunt my property. When I do invite someone to bowhunt with me I don't care if they wear one either! (backtag)

• Sitka Gear