Rut Nut 21-Sep-15
Cheque 22-Sep-15
RC 22-Sep-15
Bestbowhunter 23-Sep-15
DcoleinPA 29-Sep-15
Rut Nut 30-Sep-15
LiveOutdoors 18-Oct-15
13-Aug-15
I just got word that the PGC Commissioners are currently considering a ban on the use of natural deer urine due to the risk of spreading CWD across the state. They are very interested in hearing the sportsmen reaction to this, and in particular, bow hunter's.

However, any of the synthetic urine products would NOT be considered under the proposed ban.

13-Aug-15
Personally I would not care. Never used scents much. Tried them a few times and did not have much success. Haven't used them since.

13-Aug-15
I never thought I'd see the day when I would or could get fined for using deer pee........unreal.

13-Aug-15
Have other states done this? I don't use it much either. Would not really care

13-Aug-15
It makes sense to me if someone is using real deer urine.

13-Aug-15
Not sure Bogey. But if it helps prevent the spread of CWD I am all for it.

13-Aug-15

Rut Nut's Link
Just googled it. Looks like Virginia just banned it recently.

13-Aug-15
If they do that will they then allow me to use nose jammer, i mean it technically isn't an attracant, would be the same as squirting fox pee on my boots but instead i get to smell like the candles my fiance has in the house haha.

13-Aug-15
If they do ban it hunters in PA will save a lot of money they otherwise would have wasted IMO, you simply just don't need it.

Mike

13-Aug-15
CWD is going to spread. Maybe this will slow it? Maybe not.

And there is no one that can tell me all this urine comes from deer anyway. I still think they take cow piss and throw a little deer piss in it and call it doe in estrous.

Now think about it, the urinary tract and reproductive tract are separate, are there really "pheromones" in it???

Many times I have created a mock scrape with human urine, put a cam over it and bucks work the mock scrape. No deer urine used whatsoever.

Explain the need for doe urine.

13-Aug-15
What about preorbital lure?

13-Aug-15
I agree Brad, I have done exactly the same thing in the past you could start a successfull mock scrape with no scent at all or human urine I've done both years ago. the only use for scent I see would be to stop a deer for a shot while they stopped to smell it...well that could spook them to. My opinion is to not do anything to alert their noses. I've killed dozens and dozens of mature bucks & does with a bow using no scent, no scent is the best scent for my money.

Mike

14-Aug-15
I've found that the bucks prefer Coors light human urine compared to PBR:)

14-Aug-15
I like dirt..... Don't get me started :)

14-Aug-15
I quit deer hunting anyway, going to start duck hunting.. Training a new puppy now.

14-Aug-15
I haven't used any scents in about 15 years or so. I tried them back in the day and had very little positive results but a lot of negative.

16-Aug-15
I've had mixed results over the years and now usually go with the "less is best" approach. Any "extra" scent alerts or catches the deer's attention. I prefer them to think or smell "it is just the old neighborhood."

The one exception I frequently use, especially during the rut is a tarsal gland cut from another buck. I salt and freeze them for preservation. I don't always get a positive reaction from tarsals, but I've yet to be aware of a negative response.

I think Brad is right, CWD is likely here to stay, perhaps the best we can hope for is to slow it. I don't think eliminating deer urine is necessarily a proven approach, BUT I fully support a ban until more science and research sorts it out.

I think we may have something to gain by supporting a ban and nothing to lose.

16-Aug-15
I have often had "to go" while walking to a spot. Then coming back out to find the area that you used was all torn up...This was after I started to use coral calcium and fish oil supplements...ha ha.

16-Aug-15
A ban on deer urine, huh?

Soooo, the PGC is going to be handing out citations to deer if they get caught peeing in the woods?

16-Aug-15
I've always whizzed on scrapes and had them freshened and worked over next time I checked. So called "deer pee in a bottle" is a joke.

17-Sep-15
Would you still be able to use cover scents, like conquest scents ever calm deer herd and other types like this??

17-Sep-15
I've been very anxious to try evercalm, so i hope I'll still be able to try it. But yes..... More irrational ideas have occured

17-Sep-15
I think this only has to do with (deer)urine-based scents.

17-Sep-15
I tried evercalm last year on my boots and some on my clothes. I had a bad year, never got a shot or deer come into bow range. Don't know if it was the Sawyer tick spray I had on my clothes or not.

17-Sep-15
Nobody has mentioned pre-orbital gland attractants.

17-Sep-15
I almost forgot about the 30+ tarsal glands in my freezer....

17-Sep-15
Ya better cook them up and make tarsal soup soon, Dale. They get tuff after too long in the freezer:)

17-Sep-15
Sharpstick- I have been using Sawyer tick spray every year for the 5C hunt as well as Spring Gobbler. Haven't had a deer wind me due to it that I can tell.

18-Sep-15
O.K. Rut. I just thought it was me. I used it last year for the first time and didn't see much deer or even get a shot. The very last evening 7 does came in at 60 plus yards and just stood there till dark, they would'nt move, just stood there and looked my way for what felt like a 1/2 hour till it got dark. I'm still going to use it though, it works.

21-Sep-15
Just got some clarification on this. It would be urine based scents only. Not tarsal or pre-orbital.

But at this point, they are only in the DISCUSSION phase. Not a proposal.

22-Sep-15
It wouldn't make the slightest difference to this bowhunter.

22-Sep-15
I don't use it but I've heard all those compound wheelie girls in their pink skirts do...

23-Sep-15
Read page 38 of the 2015-2016 Hunting and Trapping Digest: "Within a Disease Management Area (DMA), the following acts are prohibited: 1. Removal or exportation of high risk cervid (deer or elk) parts, 2. Rehabilitation of Cervids, 3. Use or possession of cervid urine-based attractants in any outdoor setting, 4. Feeding of eild free-ranging cervids.

29-Sep-15
I bet people will have better luck on older deer

30-Sep-15
Bestbowhunter- Yes, they are already banned in CWD areas. But there is TALK of making it a STATEWIDE ban.

18-Oct-15
Vermont banned it too.

• Sitka Gear