Pasquinell 18-Aug-15
TrapperJack 18-Aug-15
Southern boy 18-Aug-15
Jeff in MN 18-Aug-15
wibuckwatch 18-Aug-15
CaptMike 18-Aug-15
Jeff in MN 18-Aug-15
18-Aug-15
Anyone here ever transport a deer head on a plane? I'll be flying southwest and if I score on trophy buck, how do I safely get it home?

18-Aug-15
Not since Cecil

18-Aug-15
Better to fine a good taxidermist up where you are hunting and have him do the mount then he can ship the mount to you by common carrier.

18-Aug-15
I was told shipping could cost up to $300-500. I can't afford that plus the mount. Does that sound right? I'm hoping it's cheaper than that for shipping or if I can fly home with it and bring to my taxidermist here

18-Aug-15
If you can find someone to cape it (something you could do yourself with a little practice) then you could probably salt the hide down good and ship it to yourself or taxidermist via ups. Guessing you could take the antlers on the plane or regular baggage unless it is HUGE. ;-)

18-Aug-15
Hopefully you find out how much trouble it will be!! Good Luck. I would find a butcher shop that will cape it for you, then ship it. Otherwise take it to a local taxidermist and then you can figure out how to get it back once it's done. Road trip or ship it.

18-Aug-15
Cape it, put the cape and horns in a box that you seal the frozen hide in, well wrapped in newspaper. Your only cost will be for an extra piece of luggage, along with an oversize charge, if applicable. I've shipped deer, caribou and alligator this way.

18-Aug-15
You can have a butcher cape the hide to behind the ears, but NEVER trust a butcher to cape out the head unless he comes with a reputation for being good at it.

• Sitka Gear