R.D. Bailey lake ??
West Virginia
Contributors to this thread:
Publichunter 18-Aug-15
WV Mountaineer 18-Aug-15
Publichunter 18-Aug-15
WV Mountaineer 19-Aug-15
18-Aug-15
Wanted to do some scouting on R.d Bailey lake wondering how the pressure is and what kind of bucks are down there can any body give me any help thanks

18-Aug-15
I used to hunt down the railroad tracks from the shooting range 2.5 miles or, up the track 1.5 miles from Long Branch on the right. I'd drive to the RR trestle in Long Branch and walk up or, park at the shooting range and walk down. It was AWESOME in the late 80's and early 90's. Than came the popularity of the atv and welfare and, it went to pieces. For the life of me, I can't understand why the RR allows it but, they access this area now using the RR right of way coming up from Long Branch. No doubt the best whitetail hunting I have ever encountered until it got ruined.

I can't begin to tell you how large some of the bucks were I saw back then. I've killed some good ones, some record book quailifiers and, these were so much larger. Brutes. I wish it were the same. Of course, if it was, I wouldn't be telling you about it.

On a side note, I did see a true hog of an 8 point several years ago, right when you leave 971, in the first field on the left. He was in the 140's. He was with a hot doe. I parked right there and away we went. I never caught up.

I have some good friends who live up the main hollow that hunt there yearly. None have killed any truly big deer ever. But, they bait on their own land and, while they all shoot a nice deer most every year, they are young 100-120 inch bucks. I'm sure the big deer are still there. But, so are the 4 wheeling, stand stealing, trash that frequent it. I've been told to watch your vehicle as they routinely get the tires and wheels stolen when parked there. Good luck and God Bless

18-Aug-15
i was looking at the spice creek entrance looks like some remote territory have any luck there i have scouted the spot across the train trusses you are talking about and seen lots of big buck sign set a camera out all winter and got one doe and one hunter lol but this was before i really knew where to hang cameras

19-Aug-15
I'm unfamiliar with Spice Branch. I wish you the best of luck.

I know what you did with that camera. :^) Or, I should say I know what I did with one of the old 35mm jobs years ago. I got baited into putting it between the tracks and the river with all the deer sign. In that old road bed that runs along the tracks. It was misery getting through the thorns and such. I left it for two weeks. I was pumped!!!!! I knew all the pics were likely to be at night but, I knew I was finally going to get some pics of a bruiser. Unknowing to me, the batteries went dead somewhere along about mid roll and, I exposed the pics I did have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I lost a stand that trip, ran into a dozen people on atv's and, I just quit the area.

Good luck and God Bless

• Sitka Gear