South Farm 02-Sep-15
Naz 02-Sep-15
razorhead 02-Sep-15
Nocturnal8 02-Sep-15
Naz 02-Sep-15
Southern boy 02-Sep-15
smokey 02-Sep-15
19-Aug-15
Anyone seeing an improvement in the herd north of Hwy 8 ?

19-Aug-15
Slight improvement. We lost almost an entire age class in winter of 2014 so yearling bucks will still be low but I am seeing more fawns and even sets of twin fawns.

Just recently got cams out so no results there yet. A few small bucks spotted in open areas but nothing big.

Bucks only in many Counties up north this year.

19-Aug-15
I have been at my place most of the time since the beginning of May and have yet to see a buck along the road. I have seen does and fawns but that's it. Pretty sad when you consider I was driving every morning and afternoon 20 miles back and forth each direction to Minocqua twice a day. I was taking different roads in hopes of seeing some. That was for the month of July and part of August. Same story from others in the area.

19-Aug-15
Saw my first bucks of the year yesterday just south of the Round Lake Indian reservation (one was a dandy buck).

Haven't seen an antler on my property yet. Only 1 fawn spotted, and yesterday I saw 4 different does, and not one had a fawn with it.

Not sure what is going on.

19-Aug-15
It will take a while as it's not a priority for the DNR. If it was, they would have listened to people BEFORE it got this bad. But heaven forbid the desk jockeys listen to those that are actually out there.

19-Aug-15
Too early to see much of an improvement yet. The deer did look way better this spring as opposed to last spring. I wish there would be less doe tags in the north as a whole. The next few winters will be key.

19-Aug-15
I hunted the Chequamegon in Oneida and Price Counties for decades. I finally faced reality after last year and moved my hunting operation South to Jackson/Clark Counties. It's sad but someday (when I'm too old to hunt) it'll bounce back.

19-Aug-15

Naz 's Link
Interesting comments from yesterday's live chat on the state of the Wisconsin deer herd heading into this fall.

19-Aug-15
Lots of acorns, very few deer. Mostly concentrated around subdivisions and private managed land. Have seen one dead car killed velvet buck all year, a couple of small velvet live deer. There are Oneida and Vilas county deer, but not very many when compared to several years ago.

20-Aug-15
Hunting mostly Washburn. It was so bad last year I considered not hunting the rut there again but I probably will due to tradition and not having a lot of options close to home. The three of us have been driving about an hour south for opening weekend of gun season so we at least usually see a deer or two.

20-Aug-15
Just a clarification that "Bigwoods" is a different person than "BigWoods."

It's not the first time this has happened here. We can coexist.

20-Aug-15
Lots of new handles as of late.

20-Aug-15
Mine goes back at least 10 years here, but I'm not territorial.

20-Aug-15
Mine isn't all that new. I don't post a ton

20-Aug-15
"Lots of new handles as of late."

Many of them asking questions. If real, fine. But something tells me it could just be a long-time poster doing it for giggles to waste people's time and see who will reply.

20-Aug-15
Sawyer / Ashland Public Land

Actually seeing quite a few does/fawns and young bucks on cams and along the roads. One very nice one I know from last year made it.....so that's good!!!

Hunting in the north is what it is, to coin a phrase. It's either for you or it's not. It's for me.

24-Aug-15
Iron County seeing a slight improvement,But also seeing more bears with twins

24-Aug-15
Over the weekend I talked to a buddy from Rusk county that I hunt with. He said the deer are looking slightly better there, but the bears are thick. He is more of a bear hunter than deer, and he says there are way too many bears.

24-Aug-15
Some nice bucks showing up finally this past 7-10 days on my one remaining trail cam. Mostly at night, of course!

24-Aug-15
Just got back from a week in Forest and Vilas county. Any and all deer seen were either in towns or right on the edge of towns.

24-Aug-15
I hunt eastern Forest and Florence County. Have some nice bucks on camera, by the bear baits......

hunting the north is so diverse, my area is a lot different than say Washburn Co........

It is what it is, and its not for everyone, but I think this will be a good year........ my daughter is going to teach me how to post pictures, so I can send out some photos, if and when I get lucky

24-Aug-15
Scouted hard in northern Lincoln cty Sunday . Great day , mid 50's and windy . 4 miles of walking resulted in 2 Deer tracks and a ba-zillion untouched Acorns on the ground . I was working tough areas with no sign of hunters past or present .

24-Aug-15
Ruger, I was also out in Lincoln County (south) Sunday and didn't seem to have much action either.

25-Aug-15
Just booked 2 weeks lodging for a diy Kansas deer hunt with an option to add another week on each side of that. Probably will not hunt Wisconsin at all this year due in part to the poor shape of the deer herd in Washburn and Sawyer counties..

25-Aug-15
You say that now Jeff, but the second that crisp fall air brushes your face and you smell those decaying leaves you'll think to yourself "I better buy a deer license"! Been there, done that;)

25-Aug-15
I hear your point South Farm, I have done exactly what you said before. Not saying I won't be deer hunting, just probably not in Wisconsin. I will hunt MN, IA, and KS this year so there will be plenty of decaying leaves to smell and meat in the freezer. Only way I see myself deer hunting in WI this year is if I tag out quickly in KS.

26-Aug-15

VilasBowhunter's embedded Photo
VilasBowhunter's embedded Photo
Just got back from scouting here in Vilas County. Not much sign but that is normal for this time of year. I did walk up on a nice 6-point though! Attached is a photo of a dandy that I have been chasing for 3 years. He lives 2.5 miles in. So, in a bucks only county I have a line on two!

26-Aug-15
Villas you've been chasing that deer for 3 years?

26-Aug-15
For what it's worth, we saw a better number of fawns and does than the recent couple of years. They all appeared very healthy.

Only came across one small buck though.

26-Aug-15
He must have attached the wrong photo. That's a healthy first-rack size on plenty of farm country bucks after a mild winter. I realize northern deer are sometimes different (esp, in poor habitat), but gotta be the wrong photo.

27-Aug-15
I agree with you NaZ. That was my thought too.

01-Sep-15
Just recently spend a week in Vilas County.

Saw a higher number of does than the same time last year, but didn't see any bucks or fawns.

Based on my in the woods sightings as well as road sightings while driving, I'd say the herd has increased slightly at best.

02-Sep-15
All the miles I have put in so far this summer. On foot, and by motor. Only have seen a couple of bucks. All small stuff, mostly spikes and forks. One that a few folks have been telling me is a dandy, a real monster. I have said many times, really? That is just a dink. Big enough for me is always the answer I get. A small basket 8. About the size of the one in Vilas bowhunters pic. Not even worth buying a license for that.

Have my doubts I will ever see a shooter in this part of Vilas/Onieda counties again. Since I would rather eat a can of Alpo than vensison. My standards are a bit higher than most. If it wont go 160 minimum not even worth my time. To each thier own. But if these dinks are not allowed to grow. There will never be any truly big bucks here!

02-Sep-15
Maybe you could insult some more hunters if you just keep talking Steve. Got news for you, there ain't enough 160 class bucks in all of Wisconsin to satisfy every guy who buys a tag. Some of us have to have less lofty goals to keep guys like you "happy"...if that's possible. Enjoy your Alpo.

02-Sep-15
Interesting Steve. Alpo vs. venison? LOL …. either your taste buds are shot or someone isn't handling/cooking venison correctly IMO. 160 minimum? You must have some serious mounts in the house. 150 is an absolute monster in much of the state, and just letting 'em go doesn't guarantee a Booner. You need prime habitat, great genes and 4-6 years in most areas to even get close to what your minimum standard is.

Was in Eagle River late July for writers conference and the locals I talked to said they were seeing more deer this year, including good numbers of fawns. One of the guides at Eagle Sports said if they could get a break on a couple winters it should bounce back nicely.

02-Sep-15
Here is my assessment so far. If a 160 is your minimum, you are in the wrong area, at least for the odds.......

Last Sunday am, taking the daughter trout fishing, ran into a friend of mine, works in the woods every day, till dark. He was complaining, that too many guys are talking about, all the nice bucks they are seeing....

I think the herd, is in fair shape, and there is some good bucks around.

Hunting these woods, takes a lot of time and commitment, and very tough, if you have limited time or only weekends.....

I have seen some nice bucks on camera, and some on the 3 bear baits I run for a guy, when he can not come up

I love to bowhunt, love the deep woods deer, and love the journey....... some people just do not get it....

hunting is not baseball, or golf, you do not need a score card......

anyway, I have a friend in Land O lakes, and he is quite humble, and shy, and shoots good bucks just about every year, except last year, due to the 2013 winter,,,,,,,,

trout fishing is outstanding, and the spring holes are really producing, ask my daughter, she puts her fish on face book, but I tell her, never give out my spots, ha ha ha

good luck to everyone this year, its going to be another great fall, and we are all truly blessed

02-Sep-15
Wow Steve white!!! What a guy! Go eat your alpo.

02-Sep-15
Razor, +1

02-Sep-15
160? I'd be happy with a 120 or 130 with the bow

02-Sep-15
Razor nailed it.

• Sitka Gear