Bloodtrail 20-Aug-15
Southern boy 21-Aug-15
Amoebus 21-Aug-15
razorhead 24-Aug-15
South Farm 24-Aug-15
happygolucky 24-Aug-15
Nocturnal8 25-Aug-15
19-Aug-15
How effective is rattling in Wisconsin and when is it effective? Here in louisiana, I've never tried it but here people say it works up north. Can anyone shed some light on rattling?

19-Aug-15
Yes, it can be effective here in Wisconsin. As with so many other aspects when bow hunting some things work some days as others do not!

Pre-rut, rut and post rut are all times to "try" rattling here in Wisconsin. In my experience pre-rut just into rut has worked best for me.

It took me along time to try rattling because being quiet on stand was burned into my brain - rattling can/is nothing like "quiet", the more commotion the better it seems.

I've listened to bucks fight in the distance and it's a hell of a racket.

Light rattling has worked for me as well however along with a grunt tube.

19-Aug-15
It works everywhere. Timing is the most important thing (IMO). I've found it most effective the first two weeks of November. Most people try it a couple of times and when the bucks do not come charging in they figure it doesn't work. It is a lot like calling coyotes...if you get a response one time in ten that is pretty good.

19-Aug-15
In my area of NW Wisconsin, our land, and all the surrounding land is hunted VERY hard.

In over 30 years of hunting, I have not had a buck respond to rattling. NEVER. Even when I see them.

Grunting and doe bleats have worked, but not the rattling.

I think the buck:doe ratio is just too out of whack.

19-Aug-15
You best be on a ridge or hi in a tree when rattling. A decent Buck will go downwind to smell who the bucks are. Had my best luck with calling on the run with 1 or 2 shooters down wind from the rattler.

Opning weekend is great for calling . The small bucks are rubbing their newly hardened antlers on each other. A big buck has been known to show up just to remind the kids who the boss is.

19-Aug-15
It's important to remember that bucks will not, will not respond every time and then at best...some of the time.

I've rattled many times with nothing but a blue jay call in the distance. You really begin to think you're doing more damage making all that noise.

Several years back, like an idiot I climbed into the stand and before slipping on my release - I hit the horns. Kabooooommmm..here comes a buck running straight at me from down a ridge top!

I shot fingers and killed him, but that was my best encounter. The bucks have been on the smaller side and like I said, sometimes far and few between. But I have had a number of bucks run, not walk, to the base of my stand...pretty cool!

Best bet for me...grunt call. Don't leave home without it!

19-Aug-15
I have had pretty good luck rattling, like others have said it won't work every time. Another thing is they don't always come charging in. I see a lot of the time where a buck will come in looking 5 to 10 minutes after i rattled. I prefer this as I have hung the antlers up and am sitting still watching. They usually come in on alert looking for those other bucks. they are very good at knowing pretty much exactly where the noise came from, so be ready. I also like to be set up where it is almost impossible for them to circle downwind of me.

19-Aug-15
I've had luck rattling in bucks of all ages. A couple years ago 1st week of November I rattled in a mature 8 pt. out of his bed from about 200 yds away at first light when it was calm & quiet. He walked straight to me from across an open hilltop hayfield and stared right through me at 20 yds before I could get drawn. Can still see him waving the white flag as he ran away. Like others said, during the rut don't be afraid to rattle loud.

19-Aug-15
Bucks will come in downwind of rattling. I place two scent wicks out; one to my left and one to my right at about ten yards each side and upwind wind ten yards or so from my position. Imagine a V with the scent wicks at the top and me at the bottom of the V. When the circle they will get the scent and turn before getting downwind of me and offer a good shot op.

19-Aug-15
I've had the best luck rattling in mature bucks the last two weeks of October, but I did rattle in a huge 8 pointer in November on a morning hunt. But I typically prefer to rattle in the evening. Also, when I rattle I do it as loud as I can and with intensity. The key to being successful is location. You want to be in a spot where they can't circle wide without you knowing and will provide you a shot. That's why I like rattling near cornfield edges with the wind blowing from the woods towards the corn. Big bucks feel safe next to corn and will like to come to the edge and walk along it. They feel safer then using the woods for their approach. That 8 pointer came up a ravine across from me at 60 yards. Rattling also works on open field edges with a buck decoy.

19-Aug-15
if you are in an area of a lot of hunters, do not rattle. every hunter in every tree is doing it. doesnt take long for deer to figure it out.

20-Aug-15
Im surprised how many hunters do NOT rattle.

21-Aug-15
Would u rattle first week of October?

21-Aug-15
"Would u rattle first week of October?"

I would. Not as violently, though. I have brought younger deer in at that time by folding up my spotting scope noisily.

Like the others have said, I rattle in northern MN in an area with very few deer and no hunters. I rattle many times without seeing a deer. When it happens, it is exciting. Also, if a buck is with a hot doe, you are probably not going to budge him by rattling. For some reason, I have never grunted anything in up there (never stand hunt - only still hunt).

24-Aug-15
I have had very good luck, rattling in South Dakota in areas that were very lightly hunted, if bow hunted at all, as well as the use of the decoy.........

In northern wis, I just try and slip in, and kill a buck, the first time I hunt an area.... I use no calls , no rattling, no scents nothing.......

big deep woods deer, are a different animal, and its just not natural, and those things only alert them to my being present, at least that is what I think....

I have to say, though, I killed one dandy buck I mounted, only because of the can call I had in my pocket,,,,,,,,

so never say never, just playing the odds..........

good luck this year

24-Aug-15
I can count between the fingers on one hand the number of bucks I can confidently say were responding to my rattling. I've actually had better luck rattling in wolves than deer! This is all in the BWCA near Ely, gave it up back in the 90's due to lackluster results and a new mindset that told me to just leave all the gadgets and junk at home. Rattling might have paid the mortgage for some magazine writers but it hasn't put any bucks on my wall. Just being honest.

24-Aug-15
I've had much better luck with The Can doe bleats.

25-Aug-15
Rattling works well here in Wisconsin. And it will work in any state. i believe your success with rattling will depend on the the herd your hunting. Where the bucks have competition. Back in 2009-12 when numbers first started to drop here in Wisconsin. The rut was absolutely incredible and rattling worked extremely well. I had better success in the morning. Never worked for me in the afternoon. But if you choose to do so. Best to set up where they can't circle downwind. Some come charging in. Most in my experience, have come in circling to my downwind side 20 to 30 mins after.

• Sitka Gear