Jim Leahy 08-Sep-15
TrapperJack 08-Sep-15
Novice 08-Sep-15
Mike F 08-Sep-15
Jeff in MN 09-Sep-15
GoJakesGo 09-Sep-15
TrapperJack 09-Sep-15
19-Aug-15
,Guys? Any bear bait pictures! Season is coming so what's out there? hanks!

19-Aug-15

east fork lodge's embedded Photo
Nothing really big!

19-Aug-15

FIP's embedded Photo
FIP's embedded Photo

20-Aug-15
Great! Thanks!!

Good Luck!

21-Aug-15

WausauDug's embedded Photo
many bears coming in, many boars, 3 sows w/ 7 cubs, couple coons and 2 young wolfs around too much. One boar got his lower jaw knocked off, was hanging all of June and now its just gone but has his tongue. He is coming in everyday and must be watching us bait per the camera. He could be scary as the season goes on but isn't losing too much weight. Looking forward to my first bear hunt.

21-Aug-15

TrapperJack's embedded Photo

21-Aug-15

Rub Line's embedded Photo
Rub Line's embedded Photo
Can you fellas give me an estimate on this bears weight?

21-Aug-15
Just a BIG OLD FAT DUDE! 400# maybe? He's HUGE! Good luck trying to get him!

21-Aug-15
550....Archer J killed a 580# in my back yard several years ago and that bear looks very similar to it.

22-Aug-15
I agree with FIP. Look at how long his body is? Have no idea but well past the 400 lb mark.

22-Aug-15
Holly Molley Good Luck!

23-Aug-15

Mike F's embedded Photo
Mike F's embedded Photo
Lots of average bears this year and the cubs started showing up a couple of weeks ago.

Got this picture when I pulled the cards today

23-Aug-15
FIP, OMG when the ears look that small it makes that bear look huge and I think that one is big. Have you got a broadside pic of that hog?

Rub line, lots of fat on him and belly is huge and full of bait so big in that respect. My guess maybe 400 live weight but doubt he will go much over 350 once the guts with all those doughnuts and other bait is out of him.

23-Aug-15

FIP's embedded Photo
FIP's embedded Photo
At least you are consistent Jeff. Back when I posted this in 2007 and said it would go 600 you said it was around 300. I remember thinking is this guy nuts? Jeff killed it a few days later 580lbs. Go to the fair this year and look at the pigs and their weights it might help you make better estimates:^)

Rub lines bear above is every bit of 550. I can tell I saw a 500lb pig at the fair.

23-Aug-15

FIP's embedded Photo
FIP's embedded Photo

24-Aug-15
I totally admit I suck at bear estimating especially on big ones and when there is not much size known stuff near it for reference in the picture. I am a little better at it from on stand tho. Plus the biggest I ever shot was 350ish dressed. Oh, and I generally estimate dressed weight because I never take a scale into the woods and I never take a bear out that is not field dressed.

Is that enough excuses? ;-)

25-Aug-15
That bear of Rub lIne's is one I would love to play with. Too fat and slow to hurt our furry kids. I'd bet going to be closer to that 6 mark. Long and WOW!

25-Aug-15
They don't get that big by being dumb. We may never know how big that blacky is.

26-Aug-15
Rub Line's bear is a 500 pounder gross weight.

Tiny ears, huge fat head, low belly, swayed back.

He is a big boar, that's for sure.

27-Aug-15

Smaller one hanging around during the middle of the day.

27-Aug-15

Saying 'grace' before he eats!!

31-Aug-15

Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
Jeff in MN's embedded Photo
OK, So I took FIP's advice. This pic is the biggest boar at the MN state fair this year. Weighs in at 1450#. Given the assumption that is accurate most of the bears pictured in this thread must weigh at least 1000#.

31-Aug-15
Any bears in the NE corner of Jackson County or southern Clark? We were talking at coffee and one of the guys said that his brother camps in this area and has bears in camp or getting into the food! I told him to hang it up off the ground! Sounds like more bears than one would think?

01-Sep-15

I hope to see this one in a couple weeks

01-Sep-15

3 at one time. At least 4 different bears are hitting this bait at all hours yet a bait 1/2 mile away is left alone.

04-Sep-15

Jim Leahy's embedded Photo
Here is a fatty-Hoping to get this one on a scale this year-hopefully with the cooler weather I will get a daytime pic. Hard to say on weight-but 400 plus for sure. Possibly way more. JIM

04-Sep-15

Montesdaddy's embedded Photo

04-Sep-15

04-Sep-15

04-Sep-15

07-Sep-15

Check out this guy missing one front leg.

08-Sep-15

Will there be a season this year?

08-Sep-15
acorns were really dropping in Manitoba last week and it had a negative impact on the bears hitting the baits. Seems like a good acorn crop this year in Wisconsin and i will interested to see if it has the same affect on the hunt. How is the berry crop up north?

08-Sep-15
We have a great Choke cherry crop.But very few Black berry's-they got burnt and rained out. Acorns have been on the ground for three weeks or more-wind, hot weather and 4 inches of rain knocked them down. Mushrooms are plentiful-so far so good on baiting. Activity on some baits is slowing down, but overall still good-hoping it continues-did you get a bear?

08-Sep-15
These past few days I have seen our baits slow down a bit. Ones getting hit each day are now every 2-3 days. But with hot weather, acorns, plenty of mushrooms and heavy rains both Sunday and now this morning I can see why bears are not active on the baits. Hope one hits this Wednesday for my brother.

08-Sep-15
The couple of baits my buddies have went cold in a hurry. The one seemed to coincide with the acorns beginning drop & the other was taken over by a Fisher. Can't believe that small of an animal scares a bear. Either way, it doesn't look good. Trying the Acorn one tomorrow. Everyone has said the Fisher one is a lost cause, despite that one having the largest bear on it previously.

08-Sep-15
Acorns = switch to nuts in your baits. Lots of shrooms around the baits. Mine have all slowed, but with 7 plus inches of rain I would expect that. Rain like this every other day will slow things down.

Don't over think anything and go with your gut feeling. It's a long season, I have killed bears the first day and the last day, and many days in between.

Give a bait 3 days minimum before moving to a new stand. Don't stand hop, it's never worked for me.

Never had a problem with a fisher chasing off bears. Did draw a fisher tag for this fall, so I will be after one of those little buggers and the coons that have been ganging up against me!

Be safe and good luck!

09-Sep-15
This cold snap should really help the bears activity level.

Why do so many people use naturally occurring or cut out hollow logs with a piece of plywood fastened to the bottom? I hear they are expensive if you don't have your own supply and tend to get stolen. I have always used setups like the ones in Montesdad's pictures. So much easier to make and can generally cut them from fallen trees near the bait site and leave them there from year to year. Plus you have the length of the logs you cut as an easy reference to the length of the bears.

09-Sep-15
Hollow stumps are cheap if you know who to ask. Many municipalities give storm damaged hollow trunks away for free. Loggers and lumber companies also sell stumps for cheap.

09-Sep-15
Hollow stumps are cheap if you get them off your own land like I do plus I have never had a problem with any being stolen. I leave mine there from year to year. I also know the stump height to gauge the height of the bear.

• Sitka Gear