Wild Bill 21-Aug-15
Bloodtrail 21-Aug-15
Garbanzo 22-Aug-15
spike78 22-Aug-15
spike78 22-Aug-15
bigbuckbob 22-Aug-15
bucktail 25-Aug-15
21-Aug-15
What Strap on Tree Steps do people use? I have a set of climbing sticks but they are a bit on the heavy side and if your tree is not straight right down to the ground you can't use them.. I also bought a set of Climbing Paws which are light weight and you can hang anywhere, but getting 10 individual steps strapped onto the tree takes time and requires a line man's belt to install. I'm trying to find a few other options.

21-Aug-15
Strap on hehehe....

21-Aug-15

SmoothieJonez's embedded Photo
SmoothieJonez's embedded Photo

SmoothieJonez's Link
I have several of Dick's 20ft Comfort Zone Climbing Sticks, but the downside of these climbing sticks are weight - they are not light, especially if you are trudging to the deep, DEEP woods on a solo mission. Include the hang-on stand and its a two man or two trip operation. I had a few steps stolen on private property that were cable locked; they are not the most discreet looking things either. Sturdy, practical & cost effective - yes. But also heavy, obtrusive & cumbersome.

Although a little more expensive, I like the Ameristep Aluminum Rapid Rails. They are better than Lone Wolf Tree Steps in my opinion. Just as light and you can grab onto & step on rail in more than one area. What I've been doing is attaching hang-on stand using RR, screwing in a few tree steps from the top down and then removing the RR. When I return to stand, I bring one RR with me, which gets me just high enough to grab onto tree step & climb up to stand; quick, quiet and prevents thievery. They make the RR with tubular steel for a cheaper price also, but just as heavy as CZ Climbing Sticks.

Attached supporting link from the Big Game forum regarding your post with some good info.

photo rapid-rails-ameristep.jpg

21-Aug-15
I find fixed or strap-on steps to be a logistical problem. When, where and how do I secure and move my fall restraint.

Installing a fall restraint system which stays at the stand location, can be obvious to passersby. Climbing without one is risky, no matter your age or physical prowess.

I have used the RR ladder sections and they at least allow you to raise the harness tether up the tree ahead of the second and third sections. I've gone up and then hoisted the stand up to myself, but with that gear/arraignment I seldom get my feet more than fifteen feet off the ground. To do so, I have to attach the first section as high as possible and then pull myself up to the first step.

I also have a SteppLadder by Jim Steep. I find them very handy to trim lower branches on nearby trees, as needed. Google = Treesteps By Jim Steep. They attach with a rope and them you tip them down into place. The design acts as a cam against the rope and they securely lock into the tree. Practice is needed to get the hang of them.

21-Aug-15
I use a climber almost exclusively. When I hop on at the bottom of the tree I wrap my safety harness onto the tree and slide it up as I go. Same on the way down. That way I'm always connected.

You could easily do the same with the Lineman's strap while attaching the strap-on sections. Really easy to do. And safe.

Personally I could never figure out why anyone would haul those sections into the woods for a morning or afternoon sit, putting them up, taking them down. Man, that's a ton of work.

22-Aug-15
Well that was the problem.. I hunt state land, and packing in and setting up the stand and the climbing sticks was tough.. Can't use screw in steps. Last year I left the stand and climbing sticks in. Risky on state land, but it was worth it... I want to set up a second stand this year. I'm thinking about using the climb paws and bring the bottom 3 or four out with me so I don't need to put too many back when I use that stand.

22-Aug-15
Id rather take a fine then use the small strap on steps. I dont feel safe climbing them at all. I can never seem to get them tight enough.

22-Aug-15
Id rather take a fine then use the small strap on steps. I dont feel safe climbing them at all. I can never seem to get them tight enough.

22-Aug-15
I carry in my Summit climbing stand every time I hunt, have done it for all of the 46 years I've hunted. Would never leave my stand in the woods. It tells everyone where to hunt and I don't like to advertise.

25-Aug-15
I use Deer Me rope on tree steps been using them for years. Work good for me.

• Sitka Gear