South Farm 24-Aug-15
arpy00 24-Aug-15
Mike F 24-Aug-15
Todd108 24-Aug-15
South Farm 25-Aug-15
Mike F 25-Aug-15
South Farm 25-Aug-15
24-Aug-15
A buddy gave me a 5 gallon pail of oats to plant, so this weekend I took the spike drag out and went over an old atv trail multiple times to clear all the weeds, broadcast the oats, and went over one more time to bury the seed. Never planted oats, so just curious what the growth will be like and when, if ever, I can expect the deer to start eating them? I'm hoping it's up in time for mid-late September for an early attractant. There don't seem to be hardly any acorns in my area this year and the field next to my place didn't get planted in anything this year, so maybe my oats will be the best they can get??

24-Aug-15
I have had great success with oats. As you have discovered they are easy to plant and very inexpensive. The deer prefer them when they are the tender emerging shoots. So if you are heading out in a month, that will be just about right..pending sunlight, soil and rain. Good luck!

24-Aug-15
Your planting time is good and with timely rain the deer should be on it in no time.

Good Luck

24-Aug-15
Deer love oats when they are young but are usually only good up to your first frost then they die out. I'd buy some winter rye and throw it out in a week or two amongst your oats.

25-Aug-15
Thanks guys! Todd...just broadcast the rye or do I have to rake it in lightly? Don't want to disturb the oats I already planted.

25-Aug-15
South Farm-

Throw and grow.

Good Luck!

25-Aug-15
Ok, thanks, I'll give it a try.

• Sitka Gear