BlakeM 24-Aug-15
BlakeM 24-Aug-15
Deerman 24-Aug-15
BlakeM 24-Aug-15
BlakeM 24-Aug-15
Big D 26-Aug-15
24-Aug-15
Gents,

Have a question for you. My dad is interested in getting back in to hunting and wants to use a crossbow on his private property. He can no longer pull back the compound bow.

1. It looks like it is legal to use the xbow during the archery season in CT? Is that true? 2. Does he need a bow hunting education or will his regular hunters education do?

thanks!

24-Aug-15
Gents,

Have a question for you. My dad is interested in getting back in to hunting and wants to use a crossbow on his private property. He can no longer pull back the compound bow.

1. It looks like it is legal to use the xbow during the archery season in CT? Is that true? 2. Does he need a bow hunting education or will his regular hunters education do?

thanks!

24-Aug-15
1 - yes, crossbow is legal

"2. Does he need a bow hunting education or will his regular hunters education do?"

If you mean the firearms hunting course when you say "regular" than no, he must take the separate bowhunting course. Check the DEEP website. If he has archery certification already than he does not need a separate course for crossbow.

24-Aug-15
Thank you fellas. Very helpful. He lives full time on the property in New Milford. It is a 15 acre plot.

24-Aug-15
Thank you fellas. Very helpful. He lives full time on the property in New Milford. It is a 15 acre plot.

24-Aug-15
"He lives" and he "owns" are two different things. Does he own it?

24-Aug-15
Yes. He owns the property outright.

And apologies I have no idea why it is posting my response twice every time.

24-Aug-15
Thanks SWK

24-Aug-15
Looks like this sums it up:

To hunt with a firearm, a State Firearms Hunting License is required if landowner does not reside on the qualifying property.

To hunt with a bow and arrow, a State Archery Permit is required if landowner does not reside on the qualifying property.

24-Aug-15
You really should check with the DEEP for the right information. A hunting license is required for any property in this state, period. So are deer tags. The tags are "free" for landowners but you still need to have them. Firearms and archery courses are also required from Ct. or another state.

24-Aug-15

BlakeM's embedded Photo
BlakeM's embedded Photo
Seems pretty cut and dry here. 2015 Edition.

24-Aug-15

BlakeM's embedded Photo
BlakeM's embedded Photo
Seems pretty cut and dry here. 2015 Edition.

26-Aug-15
Blake all of that only applies for the free land owner season Nov 1st - Dec 31st. If he wants to hunt the archery season starting on Sept 15th on his property then he would need to take the bow hunting course and purchase a archery license

• Sitka Gear