steve 25-Aug-15
notme 25-Aug-15
notme 25-Aug-15
onepin 25-Aug-15
Richm444 25-Aug-15
MikeLeone 27-Aug-15
CTCrow 27-Aug-15
25-Aug-15
I am fumbling around with jerky techniques.

I discovered that excess marinade is better than not enough.

Without adequate marinade quantity it seems like the inner part of jerky tastes like card board.

I need help with temperature and drying time. I have been over drying the jerky - it tastes good but very dry and crumbly -

Any suggestions are appreciated - my next plan is to go 8 hours at 150 or so

thanks

25-Aug-15
notme knows a lot about the jerky, he does it all the time. How long does it take notme?

25-Aug-15
It depends on the thickness as well. Too dry is not good either.

25-Aug-15
Be careful with bacteria at temps below 140 to 145, you can start the drying lower but should bump it up to at least 140-145 deg F internal temp. I know salt and removal of water also inhibits bacteria, but be careful with very low temps.

Rich, keep checking when you are close. Take a piece and bend it, it should bend but not crack or crumble (trial and error).

25-Aug-15
bbb your getting pretty fast, but I have my money on notme .LOL

25-Aug-15
Oh I don't know,, wide range of time.2 minutes to infinity and beyond..depends.

25-Aug-15
I still get distracted by a crack on the ceiling.lol

25-Aug-15
Hi I cut 1/4" thick strips and liquid smoke them for 1/2 hr then season salt and garlic powder both sides and hang on rack with toothpicks in oven at 145. Usually get them in by 11pm and before work in the morn they are done. Flexible but not crumbly The 145 is important though for killing any bacteria. Then i ziplock it and hide in the fridge, goes until spring Good luck

25-Aug-15
Thanks for your help-

I have an LEM dehydrator that goes to 150 - so

the 140-150 range is hot enough ? And 8 hours ballpark?

I went extra long to be safe last time and it was way too dry.

I will keep you all posted-

I am doing crop damage with my new Weatherby Vanguard in 308 with a Leupold RX 4X12 - I can hit a penny at 100 yards- not archery I know but thought you would appreciate

27-Aug-15
My $.02 :

Get a jerkey shooter and use ground, not thin cut strips.

Using one of those cheap plastic dehydraters mine takes about 12-14 hours, rotating the trays after 8 hours.

27-Aug-15
I tried the jerky shooter and the jerky went bad after about a week and a half. strips last forever.

• Sitka Gear