Contributors to this thread:
arpy00 25-Aug-15
Nocturnal8 25-Aug-15
arpy00 26-Aug-15
deadeye 26-Aug-15
smokey 26-Aug-15
arpy00 26-Aug-15
25-Aug-15
I would like to video my hunt this fall- what are the top 5 things you would recommend on what I need to do and how to prepare for filming? I have a low budget.. Thanks.

25-Aug-15
I video my hunts. So the first thing I want to say is it's tough! Packing things down to a small case to is a must. Knowing what kind of video camera you have would be a help. If your going to hunt in the cold for hours. I'd say try and get at least 3 batteries cause you can go from 90% battery life and 5 mins later your camera shuts down. Their not meant to last in the cold. Third I would recommend a tree arm. I use a muddy. I bought a cheap one my first year and that was the last of it. I grew frustrated. And a shotgun mic, again depending on what camera you have. If you get serious into this you'll pic apart your equipment pretty fast. And want something a lil better. Oh and last for the days it may rain. Waterproof bag is a must. That's a no brainier to you in sure. Good luck

26-Aug-15
Thanks for the input.

26-Aug-15
1. Whatever you do, do not go cheap on your camera. Do your research and find a camera with a clear picture. There are many camera's out there that don't do as well as others in the same price range. I would review the specs and compare them completely. All lenses are not made the same. Also on the camera, stay away from interlaced resolution/frame rate. I would take 720p over 1080i any day of the week. I shoot in 1080p @ 60FPS for my handheld and then run a gopro around the area I will be shooting at 720p @ 120FPS for the slow motion shots. The higher the framerate, the better the slomo will be.

2.As Nocturnal8 said....DEF GET LOTS OF BATTERIES. Also on that note, get yourself a portable charger(like the cell phone ones) just make sure its way bigger capacity than the batteries are, which will allow you to charge multiple batteries in the field during the all day sits.

3. Use a tripod, or tree arm, or make your own. This is a must for crystal clear shots.

4. Shoot with as many cams as possible for different angles and additional footage. Ive used trail cameras on HD video setting by the kill spot with success as well.

5. My last suggestion some people disagree on. Get yourself a guy to film for you! Nothing makes filming easier than not having to worry about doing both shooting(bow) and shooting (film).

Anything else, shoot me a message and id be glad to help or answer any other questions you might have.

26-Aug-15
Good advice. I will add this about batteries. Use the highest possible capacity battery. Something like 6600 mAh or more. I have been out all day in bitter cold and not had to replace batteries, still carried a back up in case though.

26-Aug-15
Take'n notes....thanks.

• Sitka Gear