CJD437 27-Aug-15
Toonces 27-Aug-15
bleydon 27-Aug-15
Wild Bill 27-Aug-15
Dr. Deer 29-Aug-15
CJD437 31-Aug-15
26-Aug-15

Toonces's Link
I recently lost my spot to hang deer for butchering.

I saw this on the internet. It looks like it could work with the ground stand attachment. Anybody own this product or something similar?

If not anybody have any thoughts on a portable deer hanging apparatus? Looking for something I can use in the garage.

26-Aug-15
Not that one, but I did built a "deer hanging thingy" out of pressure treated 6x6's and a boat trailer hoista while back. I've had it since the late 90's and it still works great. In fact when I moved from Greenwich to Fairfield I cut it down with a chain saw and re-planted it at my new house. It's about 2 feet shorter now but still very much in use. I don't have any pictures of it with me but if your interested in seeing it, I could take a couple pics tonite and post them tomorrow

26-Aug-15
Yes, that would be great if you wouldn't mind posting some pictures of it. Thanks.

26-Aug-15
Longbeard do you shoot 2 ft shorter deer now ? LOL

26-Aug-15
Pat was reviewing a hoist last year that attached to a tree. I remember him having a video of setting it up and hoisting a deer. I don't know where it is, but it looked pretty cool. Maybe he will chime in.

Edit, sorry, I just read that you needed it for the garage, its cool anyway.

I put an eyehook on the frame just outside of my garage door to hang and butcher deer,

26-Aug-15
I really don't want to hang anything from ceiling if I can help it, plus it would be nice to have a hoist combined with the gadget because most times I am working alone.

That product I posted the link too is kind of nice because you can lift deer into your truck with it too. I had a heck of time loading up the larger deer I got last year by myself. Just getting old and more often than not I am alone.

26-Aug-15
Toonces I will take a few pics tonite and post tomorrow and another thing I use to get deer in my truck when I'm alone is a half inch thick sheet of plywood that I attached an eye bolt to the top and handles to the bottom. Leave top of the plywood leaning flat on your tail gate like a ramp. Lay the deer on the plywood and attach antlers to eye bolt at top (rope or chain) and then go to bottom and lift up that end of plywood and slide foreword into bed of truck. Easy peasy!!

26-Aug-15
I want to see pics of what everyone is doing. I want to get ideas on how or what to do. I haven't shot any deer since I moved and not sure how I will do it this year yet.

26-Aug-15

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo
There ya go,Deer hanging thingie...got a garage with an open cieling use the rafters..got a tree with a high enough leader branch,wrap a rope around it..have a high deck,slap some bridging in between the joists and put in a eye bolt..

Crow,plenty of old clothes line poles ur way..if you have one put a pulley on that.

26-Aug-15
I don't think that would fit in my garage SWK.

26-Aug-15

tobywon's Link
Here is the link to the one I was talking about above that Pat reviewed, cost about $90.

26-Aug-15
I throw a rope over a tree branch with a gambrel on it and tie the rope to a ball hitch on my truck or atv and lift the deer up and butcher. Are you looking to leave it for awhile or cut up right away?

26-Aug-15

Wild Bill's embedded Photo
Wild Bill's embedded Photo
A few years back I also lost the tree I hung deer from. On it I installed a davit arm of aluminum "I" beam. The top was attached to the tree with steel cable and leaned out at about 45degrees, the bottom of the davit was tightly attached to the tree also with cable. I used one of those small pulleys, good for 2000lbs, at the top end of the davit and it was high enough to get the entire deer off the ground. I could adjust the location I was working on and get it in the easy to reach strike zone. Maybe someday I'll have another tree rigged that way.

In the meantime, I bought a portable tripod w/hoist. It breaks down into six lengths and easily fits in my garage. When I hunt Pennsylvania this year I will take it to my son's house out there, to use in his back yard, hopefully.

27-Aug-15
Sportsman's Guide sells one that plugs into a receiver hitch for around $90 and the tri-pod one for $100

27-Aug-15

longbeard's embedded Photo
Here are a few pics of the Deer Hanger that I made.

27-Aug-15

Another angle

27-Aug-15

And another

27-Aug-15

Last one. Toonces I hope these pics help you!

27-Aug-15
Thanks Longbeard, good looking rig you built there.

27-Aug-15
That's cool!

27-Aug-15
I have a ten foot garage with a electric hoist best thing I ever did .

27-Aug-15
It works great and is still over 8 feet high, so to answer Steve the deer I shoot are still the same length but a lot less of them in that upside down position as I get older and more finicky!!

27-Aug-15
Toonces, I have that exact one that I purchased from Sportsmans Guide for under 100.00. Works pretty good although it did break the sprocket catch when I hung a 300+ deer from it but Ill take that trade anyday.

27-Aug-15
Yeah, that one from Sportsman Guide looks like it should work. Do you use in your garage or outside?

Not really worried about 300 pound deer, if that happens i will deal with it. :)

27-Aug-15
I started with the Sportsman's Guide one but it couldn't hold up to the stress of the winch/golf ball skinning technique. (Google it if you don't know it already - saves a ton of time and minimizes hair on the carcass)

The Kill Zone one on the link below has a 500 lb rating. It rests on the ground so your hitch receiver isn't carrying the whole load so it can handle a lot more.

http://www.amazon.com/Degree-Swivel-Hitch-Mounted-Gambrel/dp/B006VWVFQ4

27-Aug-15
Golf ball skinning technique was the destruction of my skinning tree. Never again.

Hair on the carcass/meat is quickly removed with a propane torch quickly passed over the surface.

29-Aug-15

Dr. Deer's Link
Here you go. Pick a good tree and leave this up there forever. 49 bucks.

31-Aug-15
The SG works well. The 300lb deer was my friends that I helped him with so he owes me one!

• Sitka Gear