Contributors to this thread:
Nocturnal8 27-Aug-15
Per48R 28-Aug-15
Naz 28-Aug-15
Dampland 31-Aug-15
Per48R 31-Aug-15
Nocturnal8 31-Aug-15
27-Aug-15
Let's face it, some properties yield great summer habitat for whitetails. And then when fall hits. The Bucks/deer you've been getting pictures of are gone. I read this over and over in countless forums and magazines. This year for me I've scored permission to what I believe as one of the properties. At least this is my gut instinct. The timber isn't all that big and after the leaves drop I believe a small section will be left for cover. So for you guys who hunt these types of properties. What is your intake on this? Your bucks leave the property to pursue their fall ranges. My question is do you have other bucks locate to your properties until the timber opens up? I will add this. The timber is surrounded by farms and houses. With a large block of timber 3/4 mile away. I have a couple cams out there and plan on keeping them through the end o the rut. Just looking for opinions here.

28-Aug-15
Once the leaves drop it will be difficult to get in or out without being seen (except for a all day sit). So I would hunt on different winds with different entries then. Once the corn is cut, you may find deer back on that land. So after the areas corn is cut, I would wait for the best wind to hunt the best spot and stay out until you get that wind. If you have a decent place to hunt until the corn is cut, I would be tempted to do a drive if I think I have bumped everything out of there. After the drive, turn around and do an in depth scout to pick the best spot to come back to after the corn is cut. It should help you decide what wind to stay out until you get. At worst, it give you concrete info for the next year.

28-Aug-15
Without seeing the "small section" of cover it's hard to say, but I think Per48 has some good advice. One "drive" won't necessarily spook a deer out of an area forever. There's a reason they're in there in the first place. It's home. You could just be a hiker taking pictures of birds for all that deer knows. In my neck of the woods, what often happens is that hunting pressure — first early Canada goose, then bow, turkey, etc. — lets them know the lazy days of summer are over. They can become nocturnal pretty fast in those areas if there's more than one hunter around.

31-Aug-15
Sounds like a place to stay out of until November or later.

After getting presure in all the other woods, you may find a cagey buck or two will relocate to this overlooked spot.

A couple trails cameras with a good checking schedule would be useful too.

31-Aug-15
I was at Gene Wensel's deer camp several months ago. He did talk about "stacking" deer. Bumping them from one end of a small woods then back (or into another small woods). It involves using the wind to drive the deer from one woods in a known direction so they end up in another small woods. See this link https://books.google.com/books?id=I_XsAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA111&lpg=PA111&dq=gene+wensel+deer+stacking&source=bl&ots=j-madwEK_0&sig=zVPbI9_g3CWaDCxxkgc1UsvGgI4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEEQ6AEwBWoVChMI-or-yrzUxwIVhRw-Ch0e-w3I#v=onepage&q=gene%20wensel%20deer%20stacking&f=false

31-Aug-15
Interesting per48R. Thanks for the advice. I blame myself with the way I put it. Explaining the layout to any land in the shortest way possible is hard to get the right opinion. What I meant previously, is when the deer move off the summer pattern on to another property. Does anyone have deer move on to their property. Basically using their land as a fall home. Even though the wood lot is on the smaller end.

• Sitka Gear