onX Maps
This year will be epic but don't forget.
West Virginia
Contributors to this thread:
sundaynwv 28-Aug-15
wvmule 28-Aug-15
WV Mountaineer 05-Sep-15
28-Aug-15
This whitetail year will be epic! It will be epic because for ONE year we lowered our buck harvest involuntarily. Mast, bad weather, and other factors contributed to a lower than normal buck kill in 2014. Many deer got than additional year of growth and can start showing genetic potential only visual with AGE. Doesn't matter about the genetics if you kill him at 1.5.

However, with the promise of the upcoming year, don't be lulled into thinking we have a better deer herd or game management. Just imagine the fun we would have each and every year if we managed our buck herd better. I would much rather this be a yearly occurrence than once a decade after a tremendous mass year.

28-Aug-15
I second Cory's post. Well put!

05-Sep-15
What is it you want us to forget? That we have killed almost 1.5 million does with rifles alone in the last 20 years Or, that we get to big game hunt with multiple weapons for as little as $45/year? Or, that we have no draw system for that right to big game hunt every year? It ensures high participation. And, that we have a thriving, healthy deer herd to pursue. I don't know but, that seems like great management to me.

But, you guys are right. I'm glad we got the A-team composed of guys like you to monitor and analyze the faults of how pitiful this management scheme is being implemented. It reaks of failure and lack luster performance. It's nice to know there is someone or. some group like you guys with the intelligence to get it figured out, looking out for what is best for our herd and the future of hunting in this state.

I haven't been sleeping well at night with this worry. I and all other deer hunters can now rest assured now that we are in good, caring hands. Whew. I feel better. It makes me tingle inside too.

• Sitka Gear