ROBZ7 29-Aug-15
bigbuckbob 29-Aug-15
Dr. Deer 29-Aug-15
treeman16 29-Aug-15
spike78 29-Aug-15
Wayniac 31-Aug-15
Dr. Deer 31-Aug-15
28-Aug-15
Hi Guys - Did a bit of thread reading.. but looking for some up-to-date feedback. Not looking to start a pissing match - just want feedback on what works if we can keep it positive ...

This will be my nephews first bow season. I've had him practicing, and he participated in a 3D league this year (and shot well).

I've had him practicing from an elevated perch as well... we have his mechanics dialed in, and he is smart about shot placement from different angles...

I'm looking for advice on broadheads. He's shooting a PSE Stinger X at about 43 lbs, and ~ a 27" draw, with 100 gr practice heads. I'm thinking a fixed head due to "low" poundage.

I shoot Slik tricks for my fixed, and either NAP Spitfire Maxx or G5 T3's as my mechanicals.

I like the ST's, but they do not leave a GREAT blood trail (but usually a short one). I'd like to help assure a good clean ethical kill and a short tracking if at all possible...

What fixed heads should I look at for him?

Thanks in advance.

28-Aug-15
ST's likely would work. That said, when my wife was shooting 40 (she's now about 50), and with a short draw - shorter than your nephew... she had good results with (and still uses) Magnus Stingers. Actually she used stingers first then stinger buzzcuts (still uses those).

They flew great and penetrated great.

28-Aug-15
I've heard good stuff about the Magnus.. thanks for the input.

Keep it coming.

28-Aug-15
I shoot a PSE stinger @28". I was shooting the slick tricks and they are great. I now shoot the vipers and they are excellent. @43 lbs, I would say stay with the slick tricks. My kids were getting pass thru shots shooting under 45 lbs.

28-Aug-15
My kids shot SlickTricks growing up and we still shoot them. They will work - It's all about shot placement and keeping inside the known range for the youngsters.

28-Aug-15
If you're going to use the ST's, use the Viper Tricks. They are much better for low poundage as they will cut on impact. I had my son using the Razor Tricks, but they are discontinued. You can still find them on EBay..... And I would recommend them. He killed three deer with them and they work great. Cut on contact for low poundage. He had three pass throughs with them.

Make sure the kid's bow is tuned so he can shoot field points and broad heads to the same point of impact. It will also help with mailing sure no energy is lost on the arrow upon impact. Good luck.

28-Aug-15
Slick Tricks for sure . Grizz tricks are awesome . Deer don't go far .

28-Aug-15
A sharp one. They all do the job.

28-Aug-15

Bloodtrail's embedded Photo
Bloodtrail's embedded Photo
Here's a blood trail on a deer my son shot with the Razor Tricks. I love the four blades for increased damage. It was like this the whole 30 yards. Ha

28-Aug-15

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
I never had a poor blood trail with standard tricks and had no problems following the trails. Check out the hole in last years deer.

28-Aug-15

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Heres the blood where the initial hit occured.

29-Aug-15
You might want to try something like a Nap Hellrazor or G5 Montec,They are 2, cut on contact heads,The only thing is I like to touch up with a stone.Now I use Rage Mech.Heads.I do like the way they fly.

29-Aug-15
My wife shoots around 47 lbs and only 25 inch draw, I tried tons from wasp 75 grains to g montec to slick trix and with a small broadhead like that you better hit the spot or its a long tracking job or a lost deer. She is great shooter when she practices but she gets so wound up when she sees a deer that her shots were not always perfect and always ended up with long tracking jobs. So two years ago I got her Rage SS for lower poundage bows and man those things are great . With 1.5 inch cutting diameter still open up a pretty big hole and allows for non perfect shots to be effective and they fly exactly like field points. Good Luck

29-Aug-15
Brian has it right.

The best bow, arrow, broadhead, etc are the ones that you can consistently place in the kill zone. Everything else is just opinion and interesting conversation.

Good luck to your nephew! Let us know how he makes out this season and you're to be congratulated for getting him into the sport. Way to go!!

29-Aug-15
Cutting to the tip head like Magnus Stinger (sharp right out of the package) will perform well shooting a bow in the 40's. The kid must be disciplined in shot selection.

29-Aug-15
If I am using a fixed broad head I always go with muzzy! Just because that's what I always used. No need to change what works.

29-Aug-15
Wayniac, check out the new bowsite sponsor red river broadheads. It alot like the magnus and I think its 36.99 with free shipping.

31-Aug-15
Thanks for all the input!

I had him out at the range with his younger brother Sat morning...

After we bumped his poundage up (he was ready - a half turn each limb)I made sure his pins were still OK.

JUST because I had them - we threw the ST's on...I had him shoot a field point, then 2 ST's.. all 3 were within a half dollar at 20 yds, with 2 actually touching (luckily he didn't nick the shaft)! I think we'll give those a go.

His form is good, and he did great with shot placement during the 3D league... guess we'll see how he does with adrenaline (though I did have him run in place, do a few pushup & a few jumping jacks before shooting from a 12' platform to try to somewhat simulate adrenaline)... he did great.

Hoping to find out soon.

Again - thanks for the input.

31-Aug-15

Dr. Deer's embedded Photo
Dr. Deer's embedded Photo
Warn him: just about every new bowhunter (myself included) missed clean on the first shot op they got. I, in fact missed 3 times before I killed. Granted, it was with a recurve shooting instinctively, but most of the young compound shooters I have mentored did the same thing. So get I'm to adjust his mind to it in advance. Maybe if he doesn't expect to hit, he'll hit?! Never know....

• Sitka Gear