spike78 04-Sep-15
bigbuckbob 04-Sep-15
Bloodtrail 04-Sep-15
spike78 04-Sep-15
Bloodtrail 04-Sep-15
Bloodtrail 04-Sep-15
31-Aug-15

nehunter's Link
This girl was lucky it didn't take a swipe at her. Its sad to say it will probably take an attack on a human before they have a season.

http://www.wfsb.com/story/29910938/burlington-trails-closed- after-bear-approaches-hiker

31-Aug-15
A can of bear spray would've solved that problem real fast and it probably would've educated the bears. I don't go in the woods without my bear spray for that very reason. I'm on their territory and to be honest, that is my only fear when walking in the woods. Other than aggressive dogs.

31-Aug-15

nehunter's Link
Another interesting article.

That Bear was captured at the fence at Bradley Airport.

31-Aug-15
That bear was just curious I think took a feel with its mount and ran away , did nothing wrong to be killed for !

31-Aug-15
and at one point “it appears that its mouth made contact with the hiker’s leg.” The hiker was not injured.

LOL, how many people would have let "a bear's mouth make contact with their leg", and not taken some other action? When they show curiosity And no fear of humans, that's a problem. Dead bear walking, I'm afraid.

31-Aug-15
Your probably right Ace . But that's just one more thing wrong with this state , we let killers live and kill bears for being bears . It should have ripped her f...ing leg off! Then things would be square

31-Aug-15
Come on thats rediculous. Its a curious cub. A couple rubber bullets to the rear will end its curiosity. No need to kill that little guy.

01-Sep-15
Spike is a 100 % correct, these two youngsters ment no harm to the hiker,Now the time to give them a little does of fright.

01-Sep-15
It was announced on the news last night that the DEEP intends to put the bear down because it has a history of aggressive behavior. I don't think sniffing a leg and walking away is aggressive, and I can't understand why the need to kill it. I agree, rubber bullets to the butt will get the point across. I'm guessing the state fears another liability case like the one where the lady had her face and hands ripped off by a chimp several years ago. Sad!

01-Sep-15
They have to appease the angry towns folk..quickly,fetch me my burning torch and pitch fork!!..sadly ,this is how we will get a bear season

01-Sep-15

Jerry Leblanc's Link
Read this article it sounds like they already tried the pepper spray and bean bags with this bear.

01-Sep-15
The bear is a nuisance. It should be killed before someone pokes it with a stick and it eats someone's face off. End of story.

01-Sep-15
Thanks for the link "Jerry" and without a doubt, this is an aggressive bear and the DEEP is making the right decision to put it down.

01-Sep-15
The article sounds like they basically relocated it in the same town in Granby? Why not further to bigger woods? In MA a bear was killed for fear of it running out in the road and causing an accident. Does that mean all animals should be shot for being next to a road?

01-Sep-15
That beat had TWO earrings already......they don't get a third.

01-Sep-15
Jerry,

can't read it. Piece of C website wants me to register to read it. Can you copy and paste?

01-Sep-15
Too many people are judging the behavior of that bear as if it were a domestic animal.

An appropriate reaction by a large predator is Flight. "Curiosity" (which is probably an accurate description), is entirely inappropriate. If hazing has been tried, and it failed, there isn't any other choice. You can't even relocate it to a less populated area because it has already shown a willingness to seek out and interact with hikers.

When is it OK to let the people with experience in these matters make the decision? A petition to "Spare the Bear" has thousands of signatures, that's ridiculous. This bear is an attack waiting to happen.

01-Sep-15
Here you go Ed:

HARTFORD — Despite a wave of protests, state wildlife experts Monday were still hunting a "bold and aggressive" black bear they plan to kill in response to a potentially dangerous encounter the animal had with a hiker in Burlington.

The decision to euthanize the 150-pound male bear has angered many animal lovers, but state officials said they have no other option given this particular bear's history of aggressive behavior. The bear has already been tranquilized and relocated once, and its record includes possibly breaking into a house and attempting to follow a woman into a building in Windsor, according to wildlife officials.

The latest incident occurred Friday at Sessions Woods Wildlife Management area in Burlington. State officials have closed the trails at the 700-acre state property and are urging the public to stay away until the bear is found and euthanized.

The hiker involved in Friday's encounter, Stephanie Rivkin, video recorded her encounter with the bear. News reports of the incident and the posting of the video on the Internet has triggered a wave of protests and even angry social media messages and threats to Rivkin.

"They've called me every name in the book," Rivkin said Monday, "even that they want to see me euthanized." Rivkin said she asked state wildlife officials not to kill the bear when she first reported the encounter.

Rivkin, 38, said she realizes now that she did a lot of things wrong when she encountered two bears, including the one that came near her. State officials do not plan to euthanize the other bear. Rivkin said she has been walking in Sessions Woods nearly her whole life without seeing a bear there and didn't know what she should have done when she ran into them Friday.

"I'm just hoping this will be a big lesson for everybody," she said.

State experts recommend people encountering black bears to shout or scream, wave their arms to appear larger, and to back away slowly from the animal. Don't try to escape by climbing a tree, because black bears are excellent climbers, experts warn. Most-Read Stories This Hour Most-Read Stories This Hour

Dennis Schain, a spokesman for the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, said his agency has received about 100 emails and telephone calls protesting the decision to euthanize the bear. There are also online petitions circulating urging that the bear be saved.

"This is not a decision made lightly," Schain said in a prepared statement. DEEP experts routinely tranquilize and relocate bears that get into urban and suburban areas where they or humans could be at risk, he said.

"There are occasions, like this one, however, when stronger action must be taken to protect the safety of the public," Schain said. "Imagine the public outcry that would develop if no effort was made to locate and euthanize this bear and in another future encounter it actually harms someone."

Rivkin's video shows the two bears along the Sessions Woods trail. One of the bears has red DEEP tags in both ears, and repeatedly circles, approaches Rivkin and then retreats, while the second bear keeps its distance. At one point, the tagged bear touched his mouth to Rivkin's leg, but never actually bit her.

Schain said the agency's wildlife experts had "serious concerns" after viewing the video. "Our experts said that, by following the woman for an extended period of time, circling her, and even putting its mouth on her calf, the bear was engaged in ... bold and aggressive behavior."

DEEP wildlife officials said other actions the bear demonstrated, "such as pursuing the woman whenever she turned her back, stomping, posturing, and jaw popping," were characteristic of a bear "that is tracking and testing potential prey."

"To the untrained eye, the bear's interactions with the woman may look fairly innocent and almost playful, but it is clear they were not," Schain said.

The bear, which officials said is about one-and-a-half years old, was initially tagged by DEEP experts in its winter den.

In June, it was found along the Bradley International Airport perimeter fence, tranquilized and then released in Enders State Forest in Granby. Later in June, the same animal tried to follow a woman into a commercial building in Windsor. In July, the tagged bear was identified by a homeowner in Granby, who said the animal was "pounding on the door with its front paws."

Jason Hawley, a DEEP wildlife biologist, said agency officials captured the bear near the Granby house and subjected it to "adverse conditioning" by hitting it with pepper spray and shooting non-lethal bean bags at it. He said the goal in such cases is to "make it as painful as possible without actually injuring the bear" to convince it never to go back to that location again. Hawley said DEEP officials then released the bear, and only found out later that it had also apparently broken into a Granby residence.

The state and researchers from UConn are now conducting a survey to get an accurate count of this state's growing black bear population. Some experts estimate there may be more than 700 bears in Connecticut, and there are now sightings all over the state.

01-Sep-15
Thanks Ace.

01-Sep-15
To let the bear get that close to her leg is crazy. Then again I heard that theres another video with herself, peanut butter and a coyote.....weird

01-Sep-15
Hmmmmm,seems I might've seen that one..lol

01-Sep-15
Just think... You cant carry a pistol while bow hunting but you can carry it when you put your bow in your truck.

I will take the chance of being caught, I have had too many encounters with Bears in NW corner walking in the woods.

I spooked a Bear this past weekend when checking trail cameras. They were laying under the apple tree.. probably drunk and napping. (the Bear not me)

02-Sep-15
Definitely a bad bear! Sounds like a good move to put him down.

02-Sep-15

Ace's Link
2015 Press Release September 2, 2015 Statement of DEEP Concerning Search for Sessions Woods Bear

The bear that exhibited bold and aggressive behavior toward a hiker at Sessions Woods Wildlife Management Area, Burlington, last Friday was euthanized today.

The male bear was shot and killed on the grounds of Sessions Woods at around 1:45 p.m. The bear was taken in the same area where it interacted with the hiker last week. It was also again accompanied by a second, larger bear – which is unusual.

A positive identification was made from the number on red ear tags – 065 – which had been placed on the bear when DEEP had previous contact with it and which were visible on video footage taken by the hiker last week.

DEEP Wildlife Division staff setting traps at Sessions Woods this afternoon were alerted to the presence of two bears nearby. They were able to locate the bears and dispatch the one matching the description of the animal that had been encountered by the hiker. The second bear remained at a distance.

This male bear had a history of aggressive behavior toward humans. It was captured, tranquilized and relocated from the perimeter fence at Bradley International Airport in June of this year. Later that month, it attempted to follow a woman into a building in Windsor. In July, it was suspected of entering a home in Granby.

In the course of the search for the bear involved in Friday’s incident, a second bear was euthanized at Sessions Woods shortly before 5 p.m. Tuesday. That took place after DEEP staff responded to reports of a bear in the area where the encounter with the hiker took place and matching its description. This female bear also had two red ear tags and was travelling with a larger bear. It was about the same size as the male bear being sought and exhibited similar aggressive behavior. It charged one of the two DEEP Wildlife Division staff people that were on the scene, The numbers on that bear’s ear tags were 035. It had been tagged this winter in the Bristol area during DEEP research at bear dens.

Necropsies will be conducted on both bears to determine their condition to see if any abnormalities could have contributed to their unusual aggressive behavior.

DEEP took action to euthanize bear involved in Friday’s incident because of the threat it presented to public safety. Given the incident on Friday and the previous behavior of the bear there was serious concern that it could have injured a person in any future encounter.

Due to ongoing levels of unusually high bear activity in the area, the trails at Sessions Woods Wildlife Management Area will remain closed until further notice.

02-Sep-15
First of all thats great that they shot two bears that just both happened to have ear tags and travelling with another bear. Second i call BS on it charging them. Sounds fishy to me.

02-Sep-15
LOL spike. I thought the same.

Thanks for the update ace.

02-Sep-15
The charge justified the shooting and the towns folk will say " oh ok guess they disserved it then"..i say "BEARS IN A BLANKET,FRY THEM IN BACON "

02-Sep-15
Matching its description? What furry and black.

02-Sep-15
Man this is a rough crowd. No wonder nobody wants to be a cop, conservation officer, DEEP Official or any other type of law enforcement. Only the criminals are innocent until proven guilty. These guys are guilty until proven innocent. Seems like The public has really lost faith in most authorities.

02-Sep-15
How was it reported to deep when nobody was allowed to hike there to see the bear? Smells like tuna for sure. 2 tagged bears with other bears, same size, both aggressive. This just screwed up your chances of ever getting a season. Cecil the lion part two.

02-Sep-15
Jerry you are wrong my dream job is to be a warden. Do you think for one minute they happened upon these bears just walking through the woods? I have ten different bears on my cam in MA and have yet to run into one. They dont hunt they set traps as walking around would be a crap shoot at best. My theory is they trapped a bear couldnt see the numbers on the ear tags in the barrel. Shot the bear oopsie. Set the trap again caught the right bear this time. Their was no bear with those bears that was said to make it look good. Their was no charge either, maybe a lunge and snarl in the trap. Total BS no way they hunted down these bears in the woods. Apparently DEEP releases all their nuisance bears in the same damn piece of woods.

03-Sep-15
Spike like you said that's your theory. I just prefer to be absolutely sure someone is a liar before I call them one. If a bear was in one of their barrel traps they would be able to see the tags (they have grates on the ends).

03-Sep-15
Why would the DEEP lie, these guys care as much about conserving wildlife as we do. I'm not going to come to your job and second guess you, lets give these guys some credit for being professionals and give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. I agree "Jerry Leblanc" you're absolutely correct, I wanna be sure before I call someone a liar.

03-Sep-15
My thoughts were: there is a bear with two red ear tags. The number in the red tag is 65. The aggressive bear is running around with a bigger bear.

What happened was: they are setting bear traps. They see a smaller bear running with a bigger bear. Smaller bear has two red ear tags. Number in the tag is 35. "Bear charged them and got shot".

IMHO, they shot it by mistake. I have no prove and frankly, I don't care. I would've probably shot it myself because he fitted the description of the aggressive bear and anybody could make that mistake easily so I don't blame the DEEP if that's what happened.

Did they cover it up if that's what happened? I don't care either. Stupid animal rights people will get all over their face for this and I'll take DEEP officers over animal rights people any day of the week.

NOW,

I saw the video of the of aggressive bear with the hiker. I think the hiker should've been euthanized for stupidity. The bear was doing what bears do. The lady got really close to get the bears in her video for her status update in facebook page for the world to see because every one in the world wants to know what she is up to. Her stupidity got two bears killed.

Now, get me my bear season.

03-Sep-15
You guys are amazing. Don't you realize that them killing the Bears is one step closer for us to get a bear season in CT??

Any bear messing with people should be killed right now. And I support their efforts to do just that. It just adds fuel to the fire that the bear population is growing and human encounters are going to be more frequent.

03-Sep-15
Bloodtrail i agree but disagree. If the antis are fired up over this then when it comes time for season they will protest just like in NJ. And no one can convince me that the DEEP hunted these bears down in 90 degree heat with swarms of mosquitos. They were trapped. Im not dissagreeing on killing an aggressive bear but I dislike lies and cover ups involving govt agencys. If you screwed up just say it and you will have more respect then lying about it. Four bears in one piece of woods yup id say you guys have alot of bears.

03-Sep-15
90 degree heat yes...swarms of mosquitos no...Its been so dry I haven't seen a mosquito since turkey season...as far as the antis are concerned, they will be there to picket and whine about how the bears have feeling to, no matter what happened to this bear...let it go and concentrate on how your groups are at 20 yrds!!

03-Sep-15
"Spike78" do you really believe a game warden doesn't possess the ability to track a bear? I wouldn't say all of them, but I'd bet my paycheck there are game wardens who can track a bear, regardless of the conditions. There are people who can track most large animals in the woods, hell, the Benoits of Vermont can track a deer with superhuman skills to rival any predator in the woods.

"Crow" you make a very valid point about the lady filming the bears for a facebook or social media post. Very good point indeed.

03-Sep-15
Everyone's speculating on how it was done. Without any evidence or inside information you're guessing, and calling good people liars.

There are numerous DEEP Employees who work right there on sight. No problem finding bears who are wandering around and not running from people.

03-Sep-15
Cuntrytocity, hell no I dont think almost anyone can track a bear through the woods. They hardly leave tracks except for mud. Deer leave imprints in leaves but I doubt a bear leaves any. I have been scouting for over a month now for bear and find piles of crap here and their but hardly any other sign.

03-Sep-15
I am speculating but I would think that they were baiting the traps which may have drawn several bears in. There are a lot in this area. I have seen 5 different bears in my very residential yard this year. Last week we watched one laying in the woods 20 yards from my office's window. I don't doubt that there could be 4 bears in that area.

03-Sep-15
Countrytocity,

I think you are giving game wardens a little to much credit for advanced woodsmanship skills.

These folks aren't Jeremiah Johnson, they are cops.

03-Sep-15
Living in Mass with a bear season and a healthy population I have seen 4 bears in my 37 years here. I have hunted them in zones known for large populations of bears. In the three seasons ive targeted them here I have seen a total of 0. This is in apple orchards and places loaded with raspberrys. I have gotten bears on cam in the berkshires mountains within 20 minutes of setting the bait out to a maximum of 3 days before it gets hit. I have roughly ten different bears on cam in a one square mile area. To this day I am astounded how they seem to dissapear in the woods. I have checked my baited cams every week now for over a month and have not seen a single bear. After hearing all of your sightings there I would say you have quite a huntable population. I think this year will be the year I get a shot. I love the challenge every year for these animals. I even feel it sometimes pumps me up more then deer. I am unable to bait anymore due to law and enjoy the challenge of hunting a needle in a hay stack in the berkshires of MA. I hope you guys get a season soon as I would love to try there.

03-Sep-15
Thanks SWK. The thing I dont understand is it seems some on here feel the need of a season because of a possible bear attack. I have read many threads stating will it take an attack to have an open season. I guess I dont understand why it cant just be stated that their is enough bear to start a season? Im not understanding the animosity towards these animals? I find it impressive that more bear run from us than not. A 200+ tank of animal should not really have fear of us at all. I had one experience in NJ with a bear walking at me and I never felt so helpless in my life. In the end when he walked away I feel I have one of the coolest moments in all my years of hunting.

03-Sep-15

grizzlyadam's embedded Photo
grizzlyadam's embedded Photo
I'm ready for a season, got LOTS of bears upstate here. Never see any with ear tags. Could really use a tag.

03-Sep-15
Grizzly, you talking northern ct? I talked with a woman in Canaan who said they are prevelant as raccoons up there. I love seeing them on the cam just a badass animal. Not to mention the best meat I have ever eaten.

04-Sep-15
SWK, I am going to be still hunting here and moving around some so with that in mind and the fact Im after my first bear I have chosen to use a rifle. I picked up a Marlin 35 rem levergun from Cabelas in E Hartford to use as my bear gun. After the first then I would like to try the bow. The problem is that I dont have bait or a sure fire food source to sit close to so I could have a 50-100 yard shot. The area im in pretty much has scattered berries throughout and I havent seen a single beechnut this year. The area also is void of acorns. I will be there in Nov though for deer season with the bow during the second bear season so who knows, maybe my first will be with a bow. I might take a vacation day next week and try myluck. My cams have been showing bears at 9am 1:00 noon to 8pm so I will be hunting all day.

04-Sep-15
Spike,have you tried dressing up as ranger smith ?..lol

I've had lots of run ins with them and it does make you feel very small and insignificant..

04-Sep-15
Notme, run ins with woman or bears? Lol

04-Sep-15
Bear Season opened in Sessions Woods this week, 2 bear down.

04-Sep-15
A little bit earlier today I got notifiers about a bear near Southington HS. The message was that they basically wouldn't let the kids walk home or get dropped off by the bus in the area of the bear.

They did the right thing. Now they should look for the bear and destroy it.

Another step closer to a bear season. It will happen.

04-Sep-15
Bloodtrail, are you serious about destroying it? If so, you are one angry dude.

04-Sep-15
I'm not angry. But when people try to humanize an animal I get irked. It's kinda like when I was kid and there was a rat hanging around the chickens....well, the rat got killed. Or if a raccoon kept getting into the garbage....it got killed. No more problem.

Sooner or later that nice fuzzy black bear is going to start killing someone's dog or cat....or attack the lady in her garden or kids on the playscape. Then what?? You kill it.

Let's not be reactive here....let's be proactive. Take care of the problem in the best way possible for humans.

The state will have no choice but to effectively manage the bears by controlled hunting in the future.

For those that want other methods for handling these bears....I wonder if they are the same guys killing all the does and fawns too. Kinda seems silly to me that the perceived over abundance of bears wouldn't have the support of the hunting community to do what they need to in order to handle the issue.

04-Sep-15
Bears eat fawns too...by the way. Quite a few of them according to some studies (including the recent one in CT).

So, yes, I'm in favor of growing our deer herd.

• Sitka Gear