notme 06-Sep-15
cuntrytocity 06-Sep-15
Eruckus111 09-Sep-15
Buck-Daddy 12-Nov-19
Wild Bill 13-Nov-19
Bloodtrail 13-Nov-19
Buck-Daddy 14-Nov-19
31-Aug-15
New to bowhunting but not hunting. I've been practicing my bow skills for about a year especially shooting from a stand. I scouted Mt. Sanford block of Naugatuck state forest via the entrance on route 42. Has anyone ever hunted here that can maybe give myself a little bit of advice, thanks very much guys

31-Aug-15
It's rugged country there. If you put your time in, you may do well. I've hunted it a few times. I don't think too many people hunt it, at least from my own experience. Good Luck

31-Aug-15
I'll pm you gps coordinates to my favorite honey hole.

31-Aug-15
Sorry couldn't resist. Get in there, find some deer, best of luck. It's a learning curve that you have to go through yourself.

01-Sep-15
Paulmike88

get a good topo of the area and look for natural funnels, places that the deer will use to travel to and from bedding/feeding areas. Scout these areas first and mark them on the map and in your GPS.

I like to drive around the entire area I'm hunting to see what borders the hunting area. Are there orchards, golf courses, fields, etc.? If most of the hunters come in from the east find a spot on the west side of the area where you might get permission from a landowner just to cross his property to the state land, then let the other hunters push the deer your way.

Good luck!

01-Sep-15
Lots of pressure from the Rt 42 side, you may want to come in from Downes Rd

01-Sep-15
Anyone try getting permission from the landowners on Mountain Crest Drive to cross their property? Would be a great set up if the other hunters are coming in from rt42 and Downes Rd. That's what I would try.

01-Sep-15
Thanks for all the help guys, BIG D, the entrance on downs rd is near the YMCA camp? And I currently only have a ladder stand, other then theft would that be problem moving it into there?

01-Sep-15
A wise business man once told me: act with 80% of the information and adjust as additional information comes in.

Get in there set up and move when you have to. For you to you to see deer at least one of you has to be moving.

01-Sep-15
BBB sees them all the time..lol

02-Sep-15
Yes I do. I'm going to take pictures this season and post them, just so the group can see what I pass on. I won't be in the woods till the end of Oct though.

02-Sep-15
BBB, I have to ask, how did that buck taste last year? Im trying to go for a good buck this year but hope to not eat a crappy tasting deer. Last years button was probably the best deer I ever ate.

02-Sep-15
I can answer that Spike78, As I had 1/3 of BBB deer and my freezer didn't quit on me. BBB gave me a bunch of ground , chops, and steaks. IMHO the ground meat was a bit gamey and had to be mixed with something else or seasoned spicy, the steaks I was given were less gamey but still needed a bit of extras to make them yummy. They were not tough but they were not tender either. But the chops/shoulder were some of the best tasting venison I ever had. super tender and thrown right on a hot grill with nothing else. very tasty.

This is just my opinion on how the meat tasted and in no way a negative comment. I am very grateful for the meat BBB gave me and thanked him many times. My family and neighbors enjoyed every ounce we had. I just cooked up the last of it at BritJam last weekend and every one that had a bite enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the 15th hoping I can put some more in my freezer. I'm hoping I'm the one that shoots it this year. -Duncan

02-Sep-15
Duncan, thanks for the response. Its good that you didnt throw in the towel like you said last year.

03-Sep-15
Duncan is correct about the meat. I didn't cook up any of the ground or stew because I was having steaks first, and it was great. I use the McCormicks Grill Mates spices. Just sprinkle it on the steak and cook on the grill till medium rare. Love it.

I've found that over cooking venison creates more of the bitter (gamey) taste that most people complain about. I think they want to kill it a 2nd time by over cooking it :)

04-Sep-15
I hunted there a few times. Saw signs scouting but I did not see any deer. Rugged terrain, very steep and rocky. I've seen folk entering the woods down rt 42 from the parking area towards Cheshire. There is also access from near the YMCA camp from Mt Gaylord rd. Never gone in that way.. I gave up hunting there because by the time I got to my stand area I was all sweated up. Also lots of people hiking through there, so you need to get away from the trails.

04-Sep-15
BBB, I think i may have that spice. I hate cutting into the meat and not seeing some pink in it. Seems to ruin it right there.

04-Sep-15
Pink in the middle is oh so wunderba

05-Sep-15
notme

venison my friend, venison. Stay focused.

06-Sep-15
I was thinking medium rare,what were you thinking? Hmmmmmmmm..lol

06-Sep-15
I was thinking medium rare,what were you thinking? Hmmmmmmmm..lol

06-Sep-15
Be sure to go by your local hardware store and invest in some heavy duty chain and a good lock. Haven't had a problem on state land yet as far as my stands are concerned, but someone stole my trailcam in Ansonia last week.

09-Sep-15
I have 3 stands set up down there pm me and I'll tell you where they are feel free to use them assuming someone didn't cut them down yet! Moved outta the area over the turkey season and haven't pulled them down yet

12-Nov-19
I'm thinking of hunting this spot. @PaulMike88 did you ever have any luck there?

13-Nov-19
`A few years back I shot a huge buck on the east side of the little portion north of Rt42. In the process of tracking him, I encountered so much rutting sign that I could smell them. You have to be careful, because there are back yards/houses within sight of the state land on the bottom edge of the north/south ridge, and land owners will call cops on you. I prefer the slope just below the Holiday Hill. It looks like a bedding area and there is an old road/natural funnel leading up to Holiday Hill. Traffic on 42 can be noisy and treacherous to cross.

13-Nov-19
I hunted there two years ago looking for a new area to go. Parked at YMCA camp and hunted in there on the right side of road. Saw minimal sign and zero deer. I found a couple fresh ground blinds and two climbers attached to bottom of trees. I did not hunt in those areas. Never saw anyone else in there when I went. I probably did 7-8 sits in there. I walked a long ways and hunted the border of the water company land mostly. Gave it a good effort looking for a better state land spot but it didn’t pay off. Maybe you’ll have better luck if you go. A lot of the land is very open with mature hardwoods and there’s walking trails all in there too.

14-Nov-19
Thanks for the info guys

• Sitka Gear