hawkeye in PA 07-Sep-15
RC 07-Sep-15
Brad Gehman 08-Sep-15
Brad Gehman 08-Sep-15
Brad Gehman 08-Sep-15
Bowhunting 5C 16-Sep-15
horsethief51 16-Sep-15
01-Sep-15
There seems to be a growing concern among hunters in at least one area of the state that allowing spotlighting increases thepotential for poaching.

Do you think that expanding the current prohibition on spotlighting during the firearms deer season to include all deer seasons (archery and muzzleloader) would help, or do you feel that the entire practice should be banned?

01-Sep-15
It's not as popular around here (southern 2C) as it used to be before the herd elimination program began. There just aren't that many deer to look at anymore. Those who still spotlight occasionally are both upset and depressed. It used to be a nice family activity.

Poaching will occur regardless of more regulations to limit activities of honest people.

01-Sep-15
Every once and a while I get out with a friend or 2 and do it. It's kinda a night out with the guys. and we enjoy it. We kinda plan it and it's something we look forward to a few days before we get out.

So I don't think banning it is going to stop it out right.

Kinda like banning guns. It's not the spot light that's being bad. Or is it the gun used that's bad with the spot light?? Or is it the guy/guys with the spot light, gun that's bad.

I like spot lighting when I get out. By the way anyone want to get out spot lighting at the 5c hunt? I'll go!! I'll drive my truck, my light and we will follow the law doing so. Ed

01-Sep-15
It doesn't matter to me personally one way or the other. But if it were illegal, any time a spotlight was seen flashing in the sky, it would be a really good indication someone was up to no good.

01-Sep-15
I really don't spot anymore. I wouldn't mind seeing it stopped in all deer seasons. I think it would cut down on the poaching.

01-Sep-15
I'm totally against it.

Too many deer are running around with holes in their hooves as a result of those darn spotlighters.

01-Sep-15
I agree with Jeff, you can see those lights from quite a ways off, if it were illegal I think it would cut down on poaching. I rarely get to spotlight because I work 3 rd shift but I've been wishing they would ban it for years now.

Mike

01-Sep-15
I agree with you guys that say eliminating it will not cut down on poachers. I think if someone is a poacher, they are not following the rules. Don't think banning spotlighting will make much difference.

I never did it much since where I hunt there are not many fields.

Ed- we don't spotlight down at 5C- no need to. I see the deer walk right under my stand as I am getting down out of my tree in the dark. Or I see them with my headlamp as I am walking in to my stand in the dark! ;-)

01-Sep-15
Do away with spotlighting in PA!! Do away with driving deer in PA. Driving deer is not hunting! Sadly, it's the only way many gun hunters know how to kill deer in PA. I've seen them push off entire mountains, ridges, hollows, etc. and the end of the day there lies a pile of deer. Disgusting!!

01-Sep-15
In my younger days I Couldn't wait to go spooting :) that was the only time I would EVER see a buck! You never saw racked animals during season, only at night. Couple times a week we'd put on fifty or so miles.....

01-Sep-15
I like it and the kids enjoy it, good way to spend an evening. Friends and family members that used to go out with me have pasted away. I have a lot of good memory's from spotting.

01-Sep-15
X2 Groundhtr!!!

02-Sep-15
I think the PGC should issue spot lighting tags. That way if you get caught spot lighting without a tag, you get a fine. I'd pay extra for a tag like that. I'd like to see the license fees increased to double what they are now.. It's way over due.

02-Sep-15
Since moving to the farm, we started going spotting without the light about an hour before dusk. Still see a mess of deer on occasion.

02-Sep-15
I spotlight a little bit. I think it's a good tool for a legal hunter, with that said some idiots jacklight and that sucks.

Poachers are just like any other parasite, they will do what they need to do to be crappy.

02-Sep-15
LOL.....wow

04-Sep-15
Banning spotlighting thinking it'll stop poaching is the same logic of banning firearms to stop murders. While one is obviously A more severe crime, the logic is the same.

04-Sep-15
Nobody said it would stop poaching, only that it may help curb it.

My guess is, the majority of poaching is done during broad daylight, in season... i.e. shooting after legal hunting hours, tresspassing, untagged animals, etc.

04-Sep-15
Replace stop with curb. Same logic.

06-Sep-15
You have to stop spotlighting after 11 PM. No spotlighting in rifle season, seems they can't do much more to stop poaching. In other states spotlighting period is illega.

07-Sep-15
When I was a kid spotlighting was a great pastime. Now any deer around here runs for cover when they see the light coming.

Should ban trail camera's 2 weeks before the season starts also. That will cut down on the in season poaching and the mentality that big buck is all mine, regardless. Tired getting yelled at on unposted land while hunting. And not from the land owner either.

07-Sep-15
What Ropn said.

08-Sep-15

Brad Gehman's Link
Larger fines have been imposed

08-Sep-15

Brad Gehman's Link
Here is an example of piss poor fines, for killing to many geese.

08-Sep-15

Brad Gehman's Link
Another.

16-Sep-15
Spotlighting should be illegal period. Is there any reason to go shining bright lights into peoples properties, same as trespassing. No different. And why educate the deer, they are wary enough without that nonsense. Our Western states brethren got some things right, tough trespass laws, no spotlighting and being able to shoot a deer on Sunday.

16-Sep-15
Saw 50 deer in the half hour before dark this evening.

• Sitka Gear