deerman406 05-Sep-15
bigbuckbob 05-Sep-15
Richief 05-Sep-15
Huntin' Hardcore 05-Sep-15
Huntin' Hardcore 05-Sep-15
Richief 06-Sep-15
steve 07-Sep-15
01-Sep-15
Anyone in Fairfield county have a bare shaft 300 spine arrow at least 28- 1/2 long that I could buy, or borrow if you need it back? I'm trying to bare shaft tune and I'm hitting way right. I want to see if a stiffer spine will help, before buying a half dozen, that might not help. Thanks

01-Sep-15
WHY THANK YOU....LOL

01-Sep-15
What?

01-Sep-15
Just my stupidity running amuck..lol

02-Sep-15
He said "shaft"!! Heh, heh. Shut up Bevis!!

Now do you get it Richief?

02-Sep-15
I'm a lil slow on the uptake sometimes, gimmee a couple weeks, I'll think on it.

02-Sep-15
Try putting a heavy head on the one you have and see if there is a difference .

02-Sep-15
Post your bow specs and tip weight. Also x2 what steve said.

02-Sep-15
You should be able to go to a bow shop and they will let you use a bare shaft to do what you want. But if they do take care of you then you should probably buy the arrows there

02-Sep-15
Switchback xt, 29 dl, 65#, 28.5" cx300 arrow which is 350 spine, 100 grn fp, I'm hitting 5" right, with tail left, I can see the bare shaft arrow come off bow sideways and stay that way all the way to target. I walk back tuned center shot 3 yds to 50 yds and fletched group right into 3" bull. So I think center shot is close.

02-Sep-15
Ps. Quad hdx drop away rest, shooting silver horn ncs release. Pure driven 75 sight 3rd axis adjusted.

02-Sep-15
try a 125 head

02-Sep-15
So, a bigger head in your bear shaft works?

Do I have to pick up the slack for notme now?

02-Sep-15
You can have the bare shaft ones bud.lol

02-Sep-15
are you telling me I have to shave it to tune my bow?? What the hell sense does that make???

02-Sep-15
Bare shaft right generaly indicates a weak shaft, adding more weight will not improve. Thanks anyhow

02-Sep-15
Buy thicker spined arrows and call it a day. I do believe a heavier head may work but probable more than 125.

03-Sep-15
Spike wouldnt heavier head further weaken the spine, that is my understanding. That would drive bare shaft further from fletched.

03-Sep-15
Richief, I would also try the heavier head for better FOC. I switched to Easton Axis 300's and 125 heads. But I also shoot 73lbs at 30" draw. My arrows are about 29". I needed the heavier arrows for my draw and poundage. Arrows fly like darts. I sacrificed a little speed for an arrow that will hammer through an animal.

It doesn't look like you would have to go to the 300 spined arrows with your setup. Have you tried moving you rest in the opposite direction that your broadhead are flying for tuning?

03-Sep-15
I think the heavy head adds weight and makes the spine seem stiffer that my take on it .

03-Sep-15
Steve, adding weight to the front of a shaft weakens the dynamic spine. Adding weight (longer fletching, arrow wrap) stiffens the dynamic spine, but you also lose FOC

04-Sep-15
All set, broadheads in bullseye, but bare shaft is right still some things ill never understand

04-Sep-15
So what did you do to tune your broadheads to hit with your field points? I'm sure a lot of guys on here would benefit from the experience.

05-Sep-15
I got lucky, the reason i was bareshaft tuning is because common logic says bareshaft and fletched must hit together, then you will have good broadhead flight. I didnt have a broadhead target, so after french tuning and walkback, i tried a bare shaft and it hit right of fletched. Again common logic dictates that is either a weak spine, or yoke cables need adjusting. I found a block of some dock foam and tried a broadhead, aimed at a bottle cap i pressed into the foam at 20, bullseye, moved to thirty, bull. I dont understand not being able to bareshat tune, but Im good for hunting, lesson learned broadheads are the real test. Like i said lucky this yr tuning. For reference new string and cables, set sbxt up so idler wheel lean with arrow shaft at string was barely 1/8 away at point, center shot ended up at .700 (11/16 heavy) brace height and axle to axle were set first, at full poundage. So setup that way all i had to do was nock level maybe 1/32 high, and center rest.

05-Sep-15
I spent a lot of time trying to get bareshaft to move left, including moving rest and nock point every which way. Then rethinking my form, intentionally torqueing bow, grip rotating stance directions, etc, etc. the only thing i dont have available was different shafts, and when i get home i will experiment with that. Im convinced even if i shot this bow in a hooter shooter it would shoot that bareshaft i have to the right. I even twisted nock to perhaps spine tune the arrow to no avail. I didnt want to strip any more fletched arrows, and working with what i have right now, im calling it good.

05-Sep-15
Carbons are all spined on the way upper limits of their rating. In other words a 55/75 is usually spined around 78-80#s on a spine tester. I would also try a heavier head. I shoot 66#s and draw 27.5"s. I shoot a 27.5" .400 spine with a 175 grain heads and it is paper tuned perfect. My field point and broadheads hit to the same point of impact as far as I can accurately shoot. I am shooting easton .400 spine shafts and they everyone spines right around 80#s on my spine tester. Shawn

05-Sep-15
if you're a right handed shooter it could be the fletching is hitting the side of the riser, knocking the arrow to the right. Of it could be hitting your rest. I think twisting the knock to move the fletching is worth trying.

05-Sep-15
The bare shaft was giving the problem.

05-Sep-15
Steve please enlighten us with all your knowledge how adding weight will stiffen the arrow he currently has, I can't wait to hear this one!

05-Sep-15
Richief- I bet that the right bare shaft arrow you are getting is not due to the arrow being to weak but instead because of archer induced torque either in the bowhand, release, or against the face. If you have the broad heads hitting with the field points then I would not worry about it. 90% of archers either are not good enough or have clean enough form to bare shaft tune and I mean no disrespect by that it's just fact. I have found that when I get one of my target rigs to bare shaft it is much more forgiving of a setup as it was before I started.

06-Sep-15
HH, yes I know what you mean, While I have been succesfull bs tuning in the past, I did experimint with form and anchor, intentionally torqueing bow left and right, I could make it worse, but not much better. I cant prove it yet, but I would be surprised if even a hooter shooter would bring that shaft in. Unsolved mystery, and I,m not gonna pull any more hair out till after the season. Lol Thanks for the reply

07-Sep-15
Hardcore I guess I was wrong something you will never admit ! Happy hunting

• Sitka Gear