CTCrow 29-Sep-15
Ace 29-Sep-15
CTCrow 29-Sep-15
Wardens Worry 29-Sep-15
Wardens Worry 29-Sep-15
Ace 29-Sep-15
01-Sep-15
Guys, easy one for you.

2015 will be my first full time year hunting in CT. I bow hunt only. Question because I am a bit confused over how CT issues a hunting license after hunting primarily in NY in the past.

I am interested in bow hunting only.

From what I understand, the only thing as a non resident I need to buy is a non-res archery permit for $135.

Do I also need to buy a separate hunting license on top of that?

My dad is a full time resident landowner so he is going through a different process.

01-Sep-15
I just read thru the guide and it looks to me that you only need to buy the non-res archery permit. However, you must show you have either a bow hunter safety course certificate since 1982, or, a previous year bow hunting license from another state.

Sunday hunting is allowed on private land, but that does not start until October 1, this year.

http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?a=2700&q=323414&deepNav_GID=1633

For the last two years I've hunted Pennsylvania and they make you buy the firearms license to get an archery permit. For deer that means buck only, only one per season, regardless of weapon used. A special doe permit is available for an additional charge, with application dates that start a first come first served process, till they are all sold. What really bums me out about Pennsylvania deer season, is that during Thanksgiving week, there is no deer hunting allowed. Another weird rule is that when using a semi-auto firearm of any caliber, it cannot hold more than three rounds.

01-Sep-15
bow comes with 4 tags 2 anterless 2 either sex . you have to print the tags yourself from web .

01-Sep-15
thanks Bob but do I need a separate hunting license for that or is the bow permit good enough?

01-Sep-15
Blake,

You only need to buy your archery hunting license. Nothing else. It comes with 4 tags as explained by bob. You have to print them yourself or cut them off the hunting guide booklet.

01-Sep-15
Thanks Bill, yea it's a bit tricky, thanks for reviewing the regs.

01-Sep-15
Thanks Bill, yea it's a bit tricky, thanks for reviewing the regs.

02-Sep-15
The archery hunting license is required to hunt with a bow for many different game species. Some require additional stamps/permits. Your deer permits are included in the license. Pheasant, turkey and waterfowl require you to purchases additional items.

04-Sep-15

Garbanzo's Link
here are the instructions from DEEPO faq page.

29-Sep-15
Jumping onto an old thread but was hoping you all might be able to help me out.

I am a MA resident looking to bowhunt in CT this season. I have been bowhunting for the last 9 years in MA, and have my hunter Ed certificate etc. I thought providing a previous archery license and my hunter Ed ID would be enough but was told that I needed a CT Bowhunter Ed certificate...OR..a Bowhunter Ed Cert from my home state.

Hoping that some CT residents or non-resident CT hunters can shed some light. Thanks in advance for your help.

RC

29-Sep-15
They are correct. You need a bowhunters safety course in order to buy an archery license.

29-Sep-15
Warden, ditto Shawn. You need to have a bowhunter ed cert. The regular hunter safety you need here in MA wont work.

29-Sep-15
"but was told that I needed a CT Bowhunter Ed certificate"

This statement is not true.

"I have been bowhunting for the last 9 years in MA, and have my hunter Ed certificate etc"

If you have your MA hunter's ed cert(HEC), that's all you need. However, you have to buy your license in person. Next year you might be able to buy it online once they have you in the system.

They might not take a prior license but HEC they will.

29-Sep-15
Sounds like there are still conflicting responses.

I guess the only way to truly find out is to go and try. No time to take a course for this season anyway, I guess. Will be disappointed if it doesn't work out.

Thanks for the help. Any other insight is welcome.

RC

29-Sep-15

CTCrow's embedded Photo
CTCrow's embedded Photo

CTCrow's Link
Deer Bowhunting License & Permits: Small Game & Deer Archery Permit. All bowhunters must show proof when purchasing a small game/deer archery permit that they have completed the CE/FS bowhunting course (since 1982) or its equivalent from another state or country. If you have previously purchased a 2002, or later, Connecticut bowhunting permit you have already provided such proof.

29-Sep-15
The confusion lies in the fact that you need a BOWHUNTING Education certificate, that can be from CT or from soe other state. What WILL NOT work is a Hunter Ed certificate that doesn't have a separate bowhunting designation. Some states combine them, that won't work.

The exact wording:" All bowhunters must show proof when purchasing a small game/deer archery permit that they have completed the CE/FS bowhunting course (since 1982) or its equivalent from another state or country. Certifications from another state or country must specify Bowhunter Education. If you have previously purchased a 2002, or later, Connecticut bowhunting license you have already provided such proof. Obtain course listings online or by contacting the CE/FS program at 860-424-3011."

29-Sep-15
I hope this helps.

P.S.

I was assuming WW's cert was a bow hunting Ed (HEC). I might be wrong. You know what happens when you do that.

29-Sep-15
Thanks guys. That was the key ingredient. I only hold a standard Hunter Safety Cert (Non Bowhunting Cert) Bummer.

Thanks for everyone's input. Much appreciated.

RC

29-Sep-15
Thanks guys. That was the key ingredient. I only hold a standard Hunter Safety Cert (Non Bowhunting Cert) Bummer.

Thanks for everyone's input. Much appreciated.

RC

29-Sep-15

Ace's Link
There is a class 10/11/15 that you can get in. Check the link.

• Sitka Gear