Al Dente Laptop 29-Sep-15
tcosmic 03-Oct-15
deerman406 03-Oct-15
9A 04-Oct-15
deerman406 04-Oct-15
Al Dente Laptop 04-Oct-15
tcosmic 05-Oct-15
03-Sep-15
Sounds like the DEC is ready to slap some hands if you don't comply with a rule no one really wants......Typical NYS.

Attention Hunters - New York State DEC Blackmail Threat

The following is a quote from the most recent DEC news release regarding the new regulation that only allows for bowhunters to take antlerless deer during the first 15 days of the early southern zone bow season (Phase 2).

“Hunters who don’t want to get to Phase 3 (this would be very unpopular with bowhunters) have a vested interest in making Phase 2 work rather than stay out of the woods the first two weeks of the bow season, they should try extra hard to take does”

In other word the DEC is saying “do it our way or we will really stick it to you with a Phase 3 muzzleloader season in the early southern zone archery season”. The DEC knows for a fact that this recently enacted regulation under Phase 2 of their deer management plan has no prayer of succeeding due to hunter opposition let alone the fact that 85% of the deer are taken during the regular firearms season and only 15% during the archery season. So what about the option of using the more effective regular firearms season to control the herd? This is what the DEC had to say in that regard.

“DEC agrees that greater harvest of antlerless deer might be achieved through an antlerless portion of the regular firearms season rather than or in addition to portion of the bow and muzzleloader season”. Having antlerless-only harvest during the firearms season is no new concept. In the late 1950's or early 1960's I can recall my relatives participating in what they called “Doe-only Days” to control over populated deer herds.

However, the DEC further states - “DEC does not consider this an appropriate time to deviate from the adapted plan”. In other words the DEC does not care about the comments and concerns of hunters. The DEC has adopted a 3-phase plan that will place the muzzleloader in the early archery season and regardless of the opinions of hunters, they are sticking to it!

Vermont Governor Peter Shumlin got it right in 2011 when his wildlife staff proposed to open a firearms season in October. The Governor nixed the proposal and was quoted as saying “That to allow hunting deer with firearms in October would be an extraordinary bad idea. White-tailed deer are smart and much harder to hunt in November if they’ve already been introduced to firearms just a month before”. The introduction of an early muzzleloader season in New York will not only affects bowhunters, but regular firearm hunters as well. Plan on letting NYS Governor Cuomo know your concerns and perhaps he will follow the lead of the Vermont Governor. Governor Andrew Cuomo The Capitol Albany, NY 12224 (518) 474-8390

04-Sep-15
adkarcher, that is for bow-only areas. You can still shoot a buck the first 15 days of Oct. in the regular hunting areas as I understand it. Shawn

04-Sep-15
I also find that stupid on their part as I know I only shoot doe fawns early season as I do not want to shoot a big doe who will be coming into heat when November roles around. Shawn

04-Sep-15
The bigger picture here is the threat, or end game, however you want to view it, of the DEC implementing the use of muzzleloaders during the early archery seasons. That is Phase 3 of their plan. They know that bowhunters account for only 15% of the total harvest, but yet they are bullying the bowhunters to kill more does.

Once a firearm is introduced, the deer go away, far away. The Penn State study of radio collared deer proved it. Deer, bucks and does, went to areas that they NEVER ventured into the previous 10 months!!!

And what about the youth bowhunters, who cannot kill a buck during the first 15 days of the early archery season? But, the youth hunting during the Columbus Day Weekend GUN Hunt, which falls within the first 15 days, can. Regardless of bow-only area or not, that is not fair to the young bowhunter.

They lied about the timeline, not until 2016 they said of any new reg change. No public meetings. No way that they actually read and collectively made a justified decision after the June 29th comment period ended, and STILL had time to get the Syllabus out for when licenses went on sale in August. They had this planned all year.

You bowhunters better wake up and get involved. If you don't, then don't ask how or why. Shame, shame, shame.

04-Sep-15
I woke up long ago....it's called 4 weeks of bow hunting outside NY every year. I am seriously considering not even buying a license.

07-Sep-15
Deerman406, per the syllabus it is in fact, antlerless only for the first two weeks of archery in 8A, 8C, 8F, 8G, 8H, 8N, 9A and 9F. These are not bow only areas.

07-Sep-15
3M also . :(

08-Sep-15
Yes, sorry I was thinking in terms of my part of the state. I realize there are many areas now. Regardless it sux that the state just keeps horning in on our bow seasons. As I said, there will be crossguns allowed very soon for the entire bow season. Shawn

22-Sep-15
DEC: shot.

22-Sep-15
Pat it would be nice to hear some of your theories. I know you hunt NY quite a bit. We need more voices if things are going to change. Shawn

23-Sep-15
We all know the solution to their problem: first two days of regular gun season doe only statewide.

And we all know the reason that won't happen: many hunters wouldn't even go out and most of those wouldn't even bother to buy a license.

23-Sep-15
Or they would blast a buck and call it in after the 2 day period. Every proposal will come with opposition but some of the things NYS decides on is just crazy.

24-Sep-15
Doe's don't need to be shot statewide. I think close to 40% of the wmu's have no or low dmp's. Doe only statewide 1st 2 days would shut out a huge number of hunters.

Not saying this is a good move either - just first two days of regular gun season doe only statewide is not an answer either.

24-Sep-15
SteveBNY and others READ IT IS ONLY A FEW DMU NOT STATE WIDE

24-Sep-15
The "doe only" reg affects 12 of the 92 WMU's within NYS.

This Phase 2 is destined to fail and produce the desired results that the DEC is looking for. It will be their (DEC) justification to introduce a muzzleloader (Phase 3 of the DEC's deer management plan) into the archery season.

The writing is on the wall. You can feign ignorance or let your voice be heard.

25-Sep-15
archer756 - I did read it and completely understand. I was responding to Cornpone's post.

25-Sep-15
Al, it does suck but NY is following the lead of a lot of other states. There are quite a few states who put in a muzzleloader season in for a week or so during bow season. I hope that our DEC sees that we don;t want that, but as I have said in the past, they do not seem to listen anyway. I have written letters and commented on many of their proposals over the years and it has not mattered in most cases. I think a lot of these proposals should be allowed to be voted on. Lets say on the DEC website and just have a proposal posted and simple yes or no vote from licensed hunters. I know it sounds crazy but it would not be that hard to do. Shawn

29-Sep-15
NYB, who the majority claim are selfish, elitist, and even anti-hunting, came up with a joint proposal along with the New York State Muzzleloader Association years ago. IT fell on deaf ears (sportsmen and the DEC), and NYB even lost members over it. That being said, it would have given bowhunters back days lost due to the Regular Opener change and muzzleloader hunters an early primitive season. It even accounted for an early YOUTH Hunt. Here it is in a nutshell with Archery season opening on October 1st, and the Regular Season opening on the Satuday before Thanksgiving.

October 1st- open archery season Youth Big Game season Saturday and Sunday before Regular Season 5 Day primitive Muzzleloader Monday to Friday Regular Season opens on Saturday before Thanksgiving and runs for 23 days.

It was presented to the DEC and they had NO reaction to it. Two sportsmen groups coming together with a joint proposal, something many said would never happen, and it fell on deaf ears.

The writing is on the wall, and the DEC has spray paint in both hands. Better make some noise, or get ready for the NEW firearms opener in the archery season.

03-Oct-15
I would bet that it happens regardless of what hunters think. Dec don't give a hoot about any ones input. They have their own agenda.

03-Oct-15
The early muzzle loader season is a deal breaker for me no matter what. It allows guns into our bow seasons and if it was right before regular gun it would really suck as that is one of the best weeks to bow hunt. I want to know what DEC's reasoning was to not let people harvest a buck in certain areas before Oct. 15th.?? DEC does not listen to the sporting groups or the masses, they just do what a few idiots that work for them tell them to do. Shawn

04-Oct-15
It is a simple solution. You travel to a WMU that has no doe only for days 1-15, then your home sets are undisturbed for the Rut. We are the ones who make the choice to go out. Remember up until 3 years ago the start date was the 15th, the first two weeks was just a bonus. Just stay safe and shoot straight. As far as the muzzleloading if you poll hunters 90% of the muzzleloading hunters are bow hunters too. Again we get to choose what implement we wish to harvest deer with. Sorry for the length of this. Final thoughts, We can all get together and do proper deer management on our own with the guide lines they set. DEC goal is to cut down on deer related accidents, thin herds etc. I care more about the health of the herd. You have to have a balance.

04-Oct-15
I live in an area that bucks can be taken Oct. 1st. I also can drive less than two miles and be in an area they cannot be taken. My point is that when DEC implemented the rule one of their reasons was they told hunters it will give them an opportunity to harvest bucks while still on a summer feeding pattern. That was a crock of $h*t!! It is gonna bite them in the ass, as I said. I know for a fact in my bow only area I have 132 acres, the guys bordering me have 300 and 115 and 230 acres respectively. No one is hunting these properties. That is a total 21 guys staying out of the woods. That is just the opposite of what DEC wanted. What did they think? Guys were going to go out and start shooting does cause they could not hunt bucks? What a joke!!! That is 775 acres going unhunted in just a small area. I hope someone from DEC reads these sites and they will see that they have to start listening to us! Shawn

04-Oct-15
When the DEC initially released a statement regarding Phase 2, which was implemented on October 1st, they said that there would be no changes until at least 2016. Well, that statement was a LIE.

Then you have the "no comment" option on the DEC website. While you could offer your opinion on changes to fall turkey and fisher trapping regulations, there was no such option available. The DEC did received over 400 negative comments regarding Phase 2, and the ever looming Phase 3. Utilizing the "Rule of 100", (which translates in politico speak for gauging public input, with each comment representing 100 people who are actually concerned) that is over 40,000 angry license buyers. Just imagine if everyone took the time to send a letter, write an e-mail, make a phonecall, or leave a comment when available. Sadly that is not the case.

The DEC is out of touch AND untouchable. Gotta rattle the cages folks. Call your legislators, call the Governors' office, call the DEC Commissioner.

05-Oct-15
While many bow hunters are muzzle loaders as well. Many will grab the 200 yard weapon vs. the 40.

• Sitka Gear