longbeard 10-Sep-15
Somersbow 10-Sep-15
sweet old bill 10-Sep-15
deerman406 10-Sep-15
scentman 10-Sep-15
r-man 11-Sep-15
10-Sep-15
Help needed

Had the guy from next door stop by and ask me not to cut back his small pine trees ( 1 ft to 3 ft high , he has about 25 of them on my border of my land and it is near were I have some 3D targets set up to shoot. He says it looks like I cut them back as they could block a shot at a target. I have not done any cutting of his trees.

My question is what can be eating small pine trees ???? I do not think deer, can it be some other type like ?????

any help, I sure do not want to have a issue with this guy...or have to move my targets on my side of the border line.

10-Sep-15
Probably a Porcupine. That's my only guess.

10-Sep-15
Porcupine is the only thing I know of that feasts on pine but usually its on the bark of the tree. What kind of pine tree is it?

10-Sep-15
If only 1-3 feet tall, I wouldn't rule out deer. They will chew on just about anything where I am. Smaller and tender trees and shrubs are hit all the time, even if not preferred forage.

That said, do you have anyone else using the targets that may not have known about your arrangement on not cutting back?

10-Sep-15
Just me and one buddy shoot about 3 times a week. I have 12 shooting locations set up around a 2 acre pasture, with 2 3D deer at each location. The targets are about 25 yards or closer and sit in the woods around the open pasture. I looked and on some of the pine it looks like a branch or two was in some cases broken and in others it sure looks like something has been chewing on a branch. This next door guy has over 120 Acre and comes up several times a month to get away from NY city. He has posted signs on just about every other tree all over his land. Allows no local to hunt his land. We only have a small piece of 26 Acre We do not have one posted sign on this piece. My son in law does allow hunters but asks them to be very carefully due to the beef cows. that has 3 pastures and my son in law's has beef on. He move them from one to another pasture every month or so. I just do not want to get in a pee contest over this, but this was the first time I have met the man and we have been here for over ten years.

10-Sep-15
I agree I would not rule out deer. Small young tender pine may be on their menu just for variety. Shawn

10-Sep-15
Your word should be good enough... You may need to just grin and bear it, when I am in the right I don't need to explain.

11-Sep-15
camera

• Sitka Gear