Contributors to this thread:
Ranger6 19-Sep-15
Jeff in MN 19-Sep-15
Ranger6 20-Sep-15
BUCK21GOLF 20-Sep-15
BowBrother 23-Sep-15
Ranger6 04-Oct-15
19-Sep-15
I just moved to Wisconsin from Kansas. I am trying to get an idea of where to hunt this fall? It has been a little difficult trying to redeploy from Iraq, relinquish Battalion Command at Fort Riley Kansas, move to Wisconsin find and buy a house and find a place to shhot my bow and a place to hunt in less then a month. I live in Waunakee and am really not finding a lot of information. Any information on hunting Fort McCoy would be appreciated. I have also been trying to find a lease for months and just not having much luck. I have always leased hunting land as to not have to fight the crowds but it does not look like many options for that here in wisconsin. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Looking forward to my time here in Wisconsin.

Thanks Tom

19-Sep-15
Tom, I hunted Riley 3 years ago and drew a permit for there this year too. World of difference in the security that has been put in place since 2012. You won't find any bombing ranges to hunt around here though.

Anyway back to your question. I think you would have needed to be drawn to hunt McCoy long ago unless you are still active military there may be options that civilians don't have. I hunted McCoy probably 20 years ago now, back then you could see deer all over but pretty sure it is much harder now. To get a decent map go to Range Control, they were pretty tight with giving good maps to civilians but you should be able to get one. They used to rent rooms on base to hunters really cheap, no clue if they still do that or not.

By the way, there are a few old threads in the Wisconsin forum about Fort McCoy. If you go to the big game forum section there is a search function that can be used to find them.

Where you live is going to be tough finding permission or decent public land. Look into federal land along the Mississippi. There is also a lot of public land north, east, and west of Tomah that may not be too crowded for bow hunting. Maybe go to local VFW meetings, some of the old timers there may have some tips for you. Don't be shy about playing the vet angle when talking to landowners.

Thanks for serving! Good luck.

20-Sep-15
Thanks for the data. Still doing research I am hoping since I am Active duty I may have some addtional options but I have not found it in writing yet.

Thanks Tom

20-Sep-15
Hi Tom, you can buy an archery permit over the counter for Fort McCoy. It is a nice place to hunt with some good bucks. Hard to pattern the deer due to there isn't much for crops. I have hunted there my entire life and definitely worth a look if you can't find anything close to where you live. There is everything from rolling hills to swamps and you will see deer. Good luck I would suggest calling Julie in the permit office. she can give you more information

Take care Lee J

23-Sep-15
Thanks for your service to our country Ranger6! Hope you have a successful hunting season and down a Big Buck!

04-Oct-15
Thanks and I hope you all have a good season as well. Tom

• Sitka Gear