stickn' em hod 02-Oct-15
Ace 02-Oct-15
Garbanzo 02-Oct-15
deerman406 02-Oct-15
tobywon 02-Oct-15
26-Sep-15

stickn' em hod's embedded Photo
After eating tag soup last year it felt really good to let an arrow fly and see it be true

Headed to one of my private last spots yesterday and sat in a spot I named the belly of the beast after all of the deer I saw crossing in this one section every time I hunted it late season.

I saw 14 deer cross this spot last season during the rut along with 2 bucks one being 160+.

I hung my stand 2 weeks ago and backed out. I set up on the trail instead of looking for a solid food source

I slipped in yesterday morning on the perfect wind and could hear deer walking for what seemed like forever with the dry woods.

At 7 a m I see movement to my left and see it's a nice doe. I patiently wait to see what she is gonna do and she eventually comes to a shooting lane at 25 yards out right where I was hoping.

I got to full draw and let it fly. Session as I see the arrow hit I know she's smoked.

Shot was a little farther back than I thought it still a good lung/liver.

I let her sit til 830 and begin tracking her and fund drops of good blood until I come up on blood spraying everywhere. As I find her she is still alive barely moving so I go get changed,grab cart and put stuff away while grabbing a tag and filling it out

I got back in and she is gone. My heart sank. I begin to track again and find her 40 yards up all piled up.

Was an exciting morning and a great hunt.

26-Sep-15

After eating tag soup last year it felt really good to let an arrow fly and see it be true

Headed to one of my private last spots yesterday and sat in a spot I named the belly of the beast after all of the deer I saw crossing in this one section every time I hunted it late season.

I saw 14 deer cross this spot last season during the rut along with 2 bucks one being 160+.

I hung my stand 2 weeks ago and backed out. I set up on the trail instead of looking for a solid food source

I slipped in yesterday morning on the perfect wind and could hear deer walking for what seemed like forever with the dry woods.

At 7 a m I see movement to my left and see it's a nice doe. I patiently wait to see what she is gonna do and she eventually comes to a shooting lane at 25 yards out right where I was hoping.

I got to full draw and let it fly. Session as I see the arrow hit I know she's smoked.

Shot was a little farther back than I thought it still a good lung/liver.

I let her sit til 830 and begin tracking her and fund drops of good blood until I come up on blood spraying everywhere. As I find her she is still alive barely moving so I go get changed,grab cart and put stuff away while grabbing a tag and filling it out

I got back in and she is gone. My heart sank. I begin to track again and find her 40 yards up all piled up.

Was an exciting morning and a great hunt.

26-Sep-15

Great blood and she got up.

26-Sep-15
Congrats!! Big girl!

27-Sep-15
Congrats!!

27-Sep-15
congrats on nice Deer and a great story

27-Sep-15
Congrats, nice doe and recovery.

27-Sep-15
Well done!

27-Sep-15
Congratulations.

Great photos and story. Nothing wrong with that shot, obviously.

27-Sep-15
Excellent September doe. Congrats.

27-Sep-15
Congrats. With meat in the freezer now you can concentrate on the 160.

27-Sep-15
Congrats !

27-Sep-15
Nice job. Good eats!

27-Sep-15
Nice! Congrats

27-Sep-15
Nice!!!

28-Sep-15
Congrats!!!

29-Sep-15
Congrat's nice !

30-Sep-15
Good job she'll taste great.

30-Sep-15
Nice fat doe. I had the same thing happen to me last year. I found the deer and it got up and moved. I went to get my oil changed and a haircut. I returned to find the deer about 40 yards from the jump spot. It's a good feeling; congratulations.

30-Sep-15
Can I ask, why? If she was still alive did you not finish her than and there? Sorry but unless you could not get another arrow into her because of a bad angle or as wapita said she got up and moved off on you, that is just flat out wrong. You actually got lucky she did not go farther, makes no sense to me! Shawn

02-Oct-15
Congrats!

02-Oct-15
Shawn the reason why for 1 is because I saw the arrow hit her so I knew it was a good shot. When tracking the blood trail was very good as you can see from the picture but I also saw it was a liver hit. Rule of thumb on liver is give deer, at least, an hour. She obviously needed a little longer and #2 is because of the approach to get a second shot off.

A second shot was the very first thing I considered but my approach would've had me walking straight on and you do not approach a wounded deer head on.

02-Oct-15
"Rule of thumb on liver is give deer, at least, an hour."

That's your problem right there. Where the heck did you hear that? A liver shot deer will usually still be alive in an hour. And if jumped from their bed, you'll often lose them.

02-Oct-15
I always heard 4 to 6 as a minimum on a liver hit

02-Oct-15
That is fine but you should of explained yourself. Sorry but it sounded like you walked upon her and seen she wasn't dead and just left to give her more time. I just have had a few bad experiences with people doing just that and I have lost it. Shawn

02-Oct-15
Nice congrats, when I saw the title my first thought was that we are only a few weeks into the season...until I read the fist sentence of your post.

• Sitka Gear