bigbuckbob 09-Nov-16
Richm444 09-Nov-16
N8tureBoy 12-Nov-16
Ridgehunter 12-Nov-16
GF 18-Nov-16
VTslinger 19-Nov-16
jax2009r 19-Nov-16
26-Sep-15
I have been seeing does with fawns alot so far this season I've passed on them all so far but that's all I've seen. I'm a meat hunter, cant eat antlers although I wouldn't mind a nice buck. Anyways what's everybodys thoughts on taking a mature doe that has a fawn with her. I've always passed just seems like the right thing to do. But I do get tempted I must admit.

26-Sep-15
I personally pass . Just can't bring myself to shoot Bambi's mom :). But I will take his daddy .

27-Sep-15
I have passed on a doe with fawns a few times. I agree, it's the right thing to do.

Just my opinion.

27-Sep-15
You're doing the right thing.....hard as it may be.

27-Sep-15
I would pass and have many times,Shot one big Doe with a youngster after I shot the Doe the youngster watched us drag off its mom,Will never do that again.

27-Sep-15
I can't do it anymore either!

27-Sep-15
Maybe I'm the bad guy.....but the fawns are weaned off mom now and can survive on there own.ive also seen in the past where they will meet up with other does and hang with them.

27-Sep-15
Thanks, it does seem like the right thing to do and they are fun to watch. Hopefully others will join.

27-Sep-15
I did notice the fawn eating on its own last night the 2 grazed on acorns for a good 45 min 20-25 yards teasing me that's what made blme think about it. I they are there every day I'll use them for buck bait.

27-Sep-15
Shoot the doe and feast well. Deer were born to be eaten. Someday all those deer, and you, will be dead. Enjoy a meal/hunt while you can.

27-Sep-15
No spots on fawn, I'm taking doe. That's my personal rule of thumb.

27-Sep-15
I'd pass. Plus with everyone complaining in the past about the dropping population I still am amazed any does are being shot.

27-Sep-15
I've passed twice so far no spots seen fawn eating acorns I do have other does and a few bucks on my cams but haven't come in while I've in stand. The hard part is thwy hang out forever after legal sunset i had to waian hour last night until they walked off so I could get down without spooking them.

27-Sep-15
Tap the mom eat the daughter..

27-Sep-15
Very funny nm can always count on you. I'd eat both if anything

27-Sep-15
So last season i passed on mom after seeing ber raise two fawns. Well on my way to my spot i saw car had taken mom out and left the fawns. They grew up fine and now one has a fawn of her own. For all you know a coyote or other hunter or even a car will take out mom. Take the shot.

27-Sep-15
If fawn is a good size and there is plenty of food, I shoot the lead doe.

27-Sep-15
Edited

27-Sep-15
I won't shoot a doe with one in tow, just my personal preference, don't hold it against anyone else. When I was first starting out shot a few does with fawns, was sad to see where I killed the doe the fawn was bedded down still were the gut pile was a week later, after the second time it happened couldn't bring myself to orphan another fawn again.

27-Sep-15
Seems split down the middle I care about the local herd and keeping it in check however I'd kick myself in the ass if a car yote or other hunter got it when I passed on it over and over. I want the meat and as you guys all know it's not that easy to come by, that is if your not in zones 11-12 anyways.

27-Sep-15
Seems split down the middle I care about the local herd and keeping it in check however I'd kick myself in the ass if a car yote or other hunter got it when I passed on it over and over. I want the meat and as you guys all know it's not that easy to come by, that is if your not in zones 11-12 anyways.

27-Sep-15
I've also been passing on does with fawns. But, if not now, then when do you start taking the doe OR fawn? The next one I see with spotless fawns, I'm taking the shot at momma if I can. I just can't do it when the fawns are still spotted.

27-Sep-15
That's a really good point!

27-Sep-15
That's a really good point!

27-Sep-15
I usually don't shoot does and certainly not one with a fawn. I will however take a doe that I am pretty sure does not have a fawn in tow. I've also been known to pass on small bucks. It all depends on the situation. I'd much rather shoot a mature buck which we will eat so that does not make me a "trophy hunter" which some people might call me for passing small bucks. Does all this make sense? For me it does. We all have our reasons for hunting.

27-Sep-15
Same boat, been seeing plenty of deer, and have had many opportunities at does with skippers. I pass on that. Little ones still have lots to learn from momma till the rut comes and they get kicked off by bucks. Lots of predators around these days waiting for an orphan to come by without its bodyguard. Pass on them now, and you will be rewarded in the future.

27-Sep-15
I thought those little white dots were targets

28-Sep-15
Well, if the deer numbers are not great where you hunt, shoot the fawn or even if they are great shoot the fawn!! I always shoot the fawn or fawns as long as they are doe fawns. Studies show that this helps the herd way more than shooting a big doe, who in the spring is going to have two fawns again. Also unless the fawn is born late, say in mid july or later, they will have just as good of a chance surviving the winter as any of the other deer. Also I find it funny about the body guard thing, once a doe fawn is a couple months old, guess what? If a group of coyotes comes in for a venison dinner everyone is on their own, Adult does do not try and fend off coyotes from their fawns only when they are very young and even than it is rare. Around here most fawns will be around 50-60#s when dressed and that is some fine eating. One last thing, why shoot any big does before the rut?> You are just educating other deer and they also act as a natural lure to bring in the bucks. We have a rule on the bow only properties we hunt and that is doe fawns only before the rut and than no big does til when the rut is winding down. The only time we change that is if we are seeing too many does and than we shoot quite a few. Shawn

28-Sep-15
I always pass on mom with fawns. Come December I would shoot either.

I shot a doe about 3-4 years ago and when I opened her up, she was dripping milk. I felt so bad. I watched her for feed her way to me for about half hour and never saw fawn.

28-Sep-15
Grizz.Said it.The fawns still a lot of schooling left.

28-Sep-15
Thanks mixed answers thanks for all the input.

29-Sep-15
No venison in freezer, shoot the fawns and carry one over each shoulder. Mamma will have two more next yr but fawns would have only one their first yr.

29-Sep-15
The milk comment is funny too, most does except for fawns if shot even in Dec. would still have milk secretions. When I first started hunting a bow-only area I killed as many as 17 does and fawns in a single year, the first 3 or 4 years I believe I killed 50 or so. Trust me if you guys want more deer where you hunt, shoot only the doe fawns and bucks at least 3.5 years old. If you want a balanced herd than shoot most every doe you see to bring the ratio down to 2 to 1 or so. Shawn

08-Nov-16
It's November so they are technically no longer fawns, but yearlings. This time of year and usually pre rut, mature does will try to drive off the young ones as they start getting the urge to hook up again, I saw this last week.... That being the case , I pass on the yearlings...

09-Nov-16
ITS CLOSE TO THE RUT I WOULD WAIT, I ONLY SHOOT THE BIG DOE I DONT WANT 25 LB OF CHOP MEAT .STEVE

09-Nov-16
If you want the meat, Take the doe. If you need the meat, take anything that comes in range. Personally I wont take any spikes or little bucks any more there are just too many does for meat. I prefer to take 1.5 year old does for meat.

09-Nov-16
Big doe bring in bucks. Depends on what you want, meat or a wall hanger. I could have shot 3 doe so far, all with fawns and all within easy bow range.

09-Nov-16
I target the fawns although I have only pulled the trigger once- I felt awful.

A few weeks ago I had a mother and 3 fawns come into me and I could have shot them all (crop damage) I could not pull the trigger

12-Nov-16
The first deer I ever shot was a doe on Thanksgiving and when I gutted it there was milk in her udder so I was concerned that I may have caused collateral damage, but this was not the case. Turns out that does continue to produce milk well past when the fawns are weaned. I have spoken with 2 different wildlife biologists in the past about fawn survival and they both said that by the time archery season begins, the fawns are perfectly capable of surviving on their own. They may continue to nurse for social/bonding reasons, but the majority of their diet is plant life by the time they are several weeks old.

I have seen a ton of does with fawns this season, much more than usual.

As others have mentioned in prior posts, it is illegal to shoot a spotted fawn in CT.

12-Nov-16
I personally pass,that's my choice though

18-Nov-16
If you're seeing a lot of does and few bucks (if any), then the herd in your neck o' the woods is out of balance. So shoot the doe! There is nowhere in CT except perhaps a few pockets of public, shotgun-eligible land that doesn't have more deer than the land can support, so you can help yourself and the herd at the same time.

FWIW- taking fawns has little effect on population, if any. Shoot all you want - they'll make more.

19-Nov-16
My brother in law is a wildlife biologist and he has told me the same thing as n8ture boy stated. The fawns are not relying on milk anymore and are capable of being on their own at this point. Also if you want the young bucks next year then shoot does with button bucks. The doe will drive off the young bucks next year so if you shoot her then there will be another 1.5 year old buck around next fall.

19-Nov-16
They are herd animals. The fawn will pair up with others does. Shootvaway

• Sitka Gear