happygolucky 01-Oct-15
RutNut_@work 01-Oct-15
Nocturnal8 01-Oct-15
Crusader dad 02-Oct-15
Jeff in MN 02-Oct-15
The Whip 21-Oct-15
ShowYerBuckhole 22-Oct-15
30-Sep-15
I would love to hear stories you may have heard or seen, with deer having objects stuck in them while still alive and walking. Or you killing the animal and finding that it has survived a shot. It's amazing how strong animals are and over the last few days I've read some buzzard stories. And I'd love to hear yours!

30-Sep-15
About 5" of shaft and a thunder head stuck in at a downward angle below the spine of a buck that didn't dodge a 50 cal bullet during M.L. season.

30-Sep-15
My old college roommate shot an 11 pointer opening weekend of the rifle season with an arrow stuck in its neck.

30-Sep-15
In 2007 I shot a 3.5 year old 8 pointer that came charginging in to my rattling sequence. When I cut him up at home that day I found 4" of arrow connected to a muzzy BH lodged into his backstrap. It was lodged in a way that looked like the person had to have shot with the deer facing them. I shot him on November 11th, and the wound was from sometime that season. He didn't seem bothered by it at all.

30-Sep-15
I've found broadheads and, unfortunately more than once, .22 bullets.

And stuck on, not stuck in...a huge buck here in FIBlandia. It had been raking around in an old driving range. Some astroturf had gotten tangled up in his rack and broken down with time to look like a green pom-pom, threads and filaments dangling on one side of his head.

30-Sep-15
An 8 point from Wyoming that had a huge coil of orange binder twine tangled up in his horns.

30-Sep-15
Oh, I found a BB steel shot in a chop from a buck I shot during bow a number of years ago. Still have the chipped tooth from that one.

30-Sep-15
Not exactly what you're asking about but a couple years I shot a deer and it ran off and I saw it tip over so instead of going right to it I went and got the ATV and then drove back out to it. I taged it and started gutting it and when I cut the diaghpram I freaked out. I never thought that I never saw the lighted nock in the ground after I shot, it was inside the chest cavity and flashing! For a second I thought it was a fake deer from the DNR!!!

30-Sep-15
Ohh wow haha! Best one yet live2hunt lol

30-Sep-15
Zinger it was an alien deer;)

30-Sep-15
Found a 3 blade rage encased in scar tissue in the lung of a doe. I wouldn't have believed it but I gutted it out. She was healthy.

30-Sep-15
I've found shotgun pellets, broadheads and a nock in deer. Once I shot a buck with my bow that was almost directly beneath me, As the buck ran away the arrow was firmly embedded in his back. Eleven days later and a quarter mile away I shot a buck with my shotgun. It was the same buck, my single blade magnus was buried in his backbone, through the spinal column running parallel to his spinal cord.

Dan

30-Sep-15
Indeed amazing to hear these stories! It is absolutely incredible how tough these animals are. Zinger that's a classic story. I shot a buck 4 years ago that had I thunder head lodged in the shoulder. Looked like it happened when he was a young guy. And when I shot him at 30 yards following a doe he didn't even flinch when the arrow zipped through his chest. He continued following her for 50 yards grunting. He stopped looked up in the sky and tipped over. It was probably one of the most memorable hunts I've had. When I got down to check him out. She came by again. Being chased by a couple spikes.

30-Sep-15
My deer butcher has a bucket with broad heads he's pulled outta deer during gun seasons. Most were Muzzy, which made me never buy them.

01-Oct-15
Grunter... that's interesting? In my opinion muzzy has the most devastating ferrul tip out there. It can be a tough head to tune though. I believe that to be hunter error on the bad shot. Not the broadhead itself. It's been a few years since I e shot them but have zero complaints.

01-Oct-15
I know this is supposed to be about deer but shotgun pellets are often found in bear. Guessing most of them were hit to chase them away from homes.

Something strange that I did not find in a buck I shot about 40 years ago was no entry or exit wound. The buck stood where the only shot I had was his head. He was only 20 yards away looking right at me when I pulled the trigger on my 8mm mauser. He folded up right there. I presumed the bullet went in his mouth and the skull was so shattered his antlers were only connected to him by his hide. Never did an autopsy but the bullet must have shattered and stayed inside or under the hide.

01-Oct-15
Since Jeff brought up bear I was helping my buddy skin his bear years ago and we found 14 .177 caliber pellets in it's meat including a 3 shot group about 2" inside on hind quarter. Not sure if it was an habitual garbage can raider or some cruel thing some hound runner did (as I was told happens but have no idea if it's true or not).

01-Oct-15
I remember hearing a story about a bear getting his head wrapped up in the wheel well of a semi truck and took off running afterwards.

01-Oct-15
Probably more Muzzy's in the butcher's trash because more people shoot Muzzys. Just a percentage issue. I don't shoot them, but I know that's what Walmart sells.

01-Oct-15
That's quite possible Hog. A bad shot is a bad shot. I'm also very surprised how many people take shots on deer directly below them?? Really? Aiming for the spine huh? Good luck with that. How bout give the animal the respect it deserves and wait for a quarter away shot or broadside. I've only seen videos, but a paralyzed deer trying to crawl makes me sick. I've also found a dandy 12pt dead with a broadhead directly in its spine. Guy had to have shot it when at base of his tree. Doubt there was hardly any blood, no wonder he didn't find it. What a waste

01-Oct-15

happygolucky's embedded Photo
I shot this buck because it came in with that arrow you see imbedded in its neck. It was drooling and walking funny and I did everything in my power to get another arrow in it. I had to contort my body to get a shot at it. I almost took a frontal and would have just to put another arrow into it to hopefully end its suffering. I hit it, it walked (not ran) 20 yards, and fell over dead. I swore I missed it due to how it behaved.

We learned that a neighbor lady had shot the buck around 3 weeks prior and said she "hit it a little high." They tracked good blood and then it stopped. Her arrow was returned to her. It had to be cut out of its neck.

01-Oct-15

Another pic of the imbedded arrow.

01-Oct-15
"Probably more Muzzy's in the butcher's trash because more people shoot Muzzys. Just a percentage issue. I don't shoot them, but I know that's what Walmart sells."

The same can be said to the people that trash Rage heads. They are a very popular/common mech so naturally you will hear of more problems.

01-Oct-15
I've never had problems with rage. I've lost deer with them but that's my error. Or the deer dropping. The only complaint I have had it didn't pass through on a chest shot. Very little blood but watched him tip over. So I guess that doesn't matter. My favorite broadhead is a thunderhead. Even though this has nothing to do with the thread.

02-Oct-15
Two years ago on a morning hunt I had three small bucks come in about ten minutes apart from one another. The third buck was a basket rack eight point with an arrow sticking out from his brisket. like someone took a straight on shot. The buck didn't seem bothered by the arrow stuck in him but when I tried to do the right thing and take him out, I hit a tree limb knocking my arrow off line. The buck took off never to be seen again.

02-Oct-15
A lot of those broadheads found and kept by butchers are probably from the kill shot versus a previous shot that the deer lived through. I am assuming that those we are reporting about here are just the ones that were from a previous shot.

21-Oct-15
Last year I was lucky enough to put a buck out of its misery. He had two broadheads in him and was wasting away. Meat - no good Cape - no good Rack - saved Buck no longer suffering. They have an amazing will and ability to live.

22-Oct-15

ShowYerBuckhole's embedded Photo
ShowYerBuckhole's embedded Photo
I had this buck on camera all over the place with a softball sized growth on its neck. Neighbor ended up shooting it late season and found a broad head and partial shaft lodged inside

• Sitka Gear