BillB 14-Oct-15
newby 14-Oct-15
treeboundwi 15-Oct-15
Nocturnal8 15-Oct-15
RUGER1022 15-Oct-15
The Whip 21-Oct-15
01-Oct-15

Nocturnal8's Link
This is why carrying a sidearm is a must. If you don't have one I suggest you get one if your in wolf country.

01-Oct-15
Sorry for the link issue. Go to Americanhunter.org

01-Oct-15

TheLama's Link
This might work

01-Oct-15
Thank you sir!

01-Oct-15
It's his own fault. Can't you see that?

Nature is to be revered on Animal Planet while in an armchair in your suburban living room or with a bumper sticker on your Saab.

This is another example of why we need common sense gun laws. Had he not been armed, he could've contributed to the expansion of the pack instead of alienating himself from the natural process.

Since it's part of their historic range, I look forward to several large packs being relocated to Dane County to make Madison and its suburbs home.

01-Oct-15
Can't even control the coyotes down here in Mad town.

01-Oct-15
This story is false, we all know There has never been an wolf attack/death on a human. Also, don't try and tell me that wolves trill kill animals. LOL.

01-Oct-15
I've been carrying in the woods for years just because of this possibility. Some day the wolves will figure out that we're a lot easier to catch than a deer. I am also wary of stumbling across a wounded bear this time of the year.

01-Oct-15
You got that right big woods.

01-Oct-15
Ok, I'll play the devils advocate. Does this story sound a bit fishy? I mean, who is this guy, Chuck Norris' twin?! I doubt the swift kick makes a wolf, a killer, miss with his fangs nashing. Just saying.

01-Oct-15
Ok, I'll play the devils advocate. Does this story sound a bit fishy? I mean, who is this guy, Chuck Norris' twin?! I doubt the swift kick makes a wolf, a killer, miss with his fangs nashing. Just saying.

01-Oct-15
I can't find any documentation of this story other than the NRA site linked above. This happened 9/23 - any other supporting documentation?

01-Oct-15
Bill I couldn't find anything either other than the site I mentioned. Dukore the story sounds legit to me. Typical wolf behavior surrounding their next meal or whatever you want to call that situation. Could you imagine that happening to you? This guy was lucky it happened during the day. I couldn't imagine the situation going down under complete darkness.

01-Oct-15
Too bad he didn't have his military rifle and a full clip that day.

01-Oct-15
I wish I would see a wolf pack while hunting. Id love to tell the tale of how I dropped a pack

01-Oct-15
It does sound fishy but I didn't want to rule it out. Since a coyote roaming the suburbs makes the local news, it's pretty strange that there would be no coverage of an actual attack on a human being (an extremely rare occurrence). I have nothing against carrying when hunting or even just sitting around the campfire or whatever, but I can't stand exaggerated or false anecdotes presented as evidence and meant only to advance a cause, no matter what side. So far I'm keeping an open mind but in the absence of any confirmation I'll conclude this doesn't pass the sniff test.

01-Oct-15
Yeah I have to agree with you guys. It's odd after all this time to only find one report on this.

02-Oct-15
Agree 100% konk!! I carry a 45 and I wish to be left alone.

02-Oct-15
I was surrounded by a pack once. Luckily, I was 20 feet up a tree at the time. I tell you what, those wolves were VERY interested in my can bleat call.

As to the story, it is billed by American Hunter as a "worldwide exclusive" which would explain why it can't be found anywhere else.

The DNR won't make any statements until it completes its investigation other than to confirm that is engaged in an investigation. I would expect that even if the results are unconfirmed the DNR will need to make a statement on this one, but they won't rush it. Stay tuned.

02-Oct-15
I have had multiple encounters with wolves. Very close too, as many as five at one time and not once did they come after me. Usually they very quickly left the area after detecting me.

Still I don't want to be a statistic and find it good to carry. There are other serious threats out there too.

This story could be true or not. Time will tell.

02-Oct-15
i had an encounter with a cougar the other night. Not pretty.

02-Oct-15
Forget the Wolves , I'm scared of the Big cats . A Wolf pack you see coming . A mt lion has its teth in your head and its rear legs ripping your guts out about the time you see it .

02-Oct-15
Hog thief what did it do when it saw you? Or did it see you? Interested in this story you have. I worry about wolves but know the odds. I think about it in the same way, as ruger said about Cougars

02-Oct-15
I paid my bill and snuck out.

02-Oct-15
Hahhaha^^^^

02-Oct-15
Sorry. Couldn't resist.

02-Oct-15
Yeah, don't let one of them get their teeth into you. They definitely won't let go. Luckily I am not an attractive target for that type of cougar. Too old.

02-Oct-15
Like Smokey I have had 4 close encounters with wolf. Twice in MN while bow hunting over a bear bait and twice in WI while bow hunting over a bear bait. Two out of the 4 times I could have easily shot them as they stood at the bait pile with no clue I was there for about a minute. Once they got my scent or whatever spooked them they left fast. The other two just walked past, could not really tell if they detected me or not. On all 4 occasions I walked out a little before quitting time while I could still see good with 357 mag in hand.

02-Oct-15
Perhaps this is a stupid question so forgive me and I think I know the answer but can you only carry a handgun for protection while bow hunting deer?

02-Oct-15
You can carry a handgun ALMOST anywhere/anytime you want, concealed or open carry if you have a concealed carry permit. Wisconsin has had legal open carry for a long long time and still does but you still have to case it in a vehicle if you don't have a permit.

Bear hunting and baiting (and not having to case it every time I got on a 4 wheeler or vehicle) was why I have had a MN concealed carry permit for about 30 years. I was lucky enough to live in a MN county with a sheriff that was willing to issue permits.

Sure was glad when WI passed concealed carry just in time because someone took shots at me and stated serious threats on a recorded jail phone after that.

Just be sure to tell any officer that you have one if they approach you. They will appreciate knowing. Depending on circumstances they might ask if they can hold it during your discussion. Happened to me a couple weeks ago. He asked if he could hold it during our discussion then removed it from my holster and asked if there was one in the chamber, which there was. He gave it back later unloaded.

Part that puzzled me is he and the deputy he was with cleared the (neighbors) house with my handgun in his hand. At least he went in that way. Seemed that if they ran into anyone inside then it could have gotten in his way.

03-Oct-15
Sorry I worded that post wrong. Can you only carry a handgun (not rifle or shotgun) when bow hunting.

04-Oct-15
Hope you dont really feel this wil make front page news. It's something that will be hidden as best as it can. Wolf lovers, including our DNR do not want people to think this is even a possibility. Once the general public again gains fear of this animal. The program will go down hill fast. They are currently revered as cute cuddly animals that do no harm to anything.

04-Oct-15
Steve, I think I understand your viewpoint, but the argument makes no sense. It's a story with a high level of sensationalism that would have great public interest, and no news outlet would bury due to the power of some imagined well-funded wolf lobby. If, though, your message was "I like neither wolves nor the dnr, and I disagree with the position that wolves should be as protected as they are" then you made your point perfectly well.

04-Oct-15

Naz 's Link
Absolutely won't be buried. Just that these types of things are extremely rare. Here's one from MN, 2013:

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/content/teen-fights-wolf-attack-solway-boy-suffers-head-wound-animal-later-trapped-and-killed-area

14-Oct-15
"If confirmed by law enforcement officials, it would be the first wolf attack on a human in the state."

What a bunch of bull. I bet there were dozens of wolf attacks on humans before they were essentially exterminated in Wisconsin.

Plus, I bet when they do DNA testing on the blood at the scene it will turn out that this was not a full blooded wolf.

14-Oct-15
My fanny pack has a holster belt so this works well as I just hang it in the tree and it doesn't weigh me down

14-Oct-15
Actually you can carry a long gun while bowhunting. From the warden wire on WI dnr website:

Question 10: Is it ok to carry both a gun and bow and arrow with you during the deer gun season? Answer: Yes, a customer can carry a gun and a bow and arrow while hunting. What really matters is for the hunter to have the proper license and use the legal weapon when taking a particular game species. Just carrying the weapon is not the violation.

14-Oct-15
Actually you can carry a long gun while bowhunting. From the warden wire on WI dnr website:

Question 10: Is it ok to carry both a gun and bow and arrow with you during the deer gun season? Answer: Yes, a customer can carry a gun and a bow and arrow while hunting. What really matters is for the hunter to have the proper license and use the legal weapon when taking a particular game species. Just carrying the weapon is not the violation.

14-Oct-15
Thanks to those who answered my question. Went and purchased a .40 today.

15-Oct-15
This is a concern of mine since my wife and I go up to northern Wisconsin a few times a year where her relatives see wolves fairly frequently. The wolves in their area haven't become a problem yet buy have been getting bolder over the last three years.

15-Oct-15
The wolves are very bold. And I stand with you tree bound. I have had a wolf follow my scent in two different times. And one time being on the ground which he trotted 5 feet from me. I let him know I was there. He looked at me for a quick second and walked past me like I wasn't a threat. It was an adrenaline rush I can't even explain. I am sure this won't be the last time we hear about this. And at the same time I am confident that this has happened many times before. Where a hunter handled the situation discreetly because he was afraid of calling it in and having the publicity and finger pointing. I love the wolves and respect them fully, but something needs to be done asap. As a state, we should have the power to manage them accordingly. Instead of a liberal judge who knows absolutely nothing about them to tell us what to do.

15-Oct-15
Wrong caliber Newby , but thats another story ;-]

21-Oct-15
Beautiful animals but need to be controlled Scary stuff. Hope some non-hunters begin to understand and get off the attack for a minute to get educated on what's behind the beauty!

• Sitka Gear