LIFEALONGTHEDGE 26-Feb-16
Straight Arrow 26-Feb-16
Seminole 27-Feb-16
Straight Arrow 28-Feb-16
LIFEALONGTHEDGE 29-Feb-16
Seminole 01-Mar-16
Squeedleedooo 01-Mar-16
01-Oct-15
This is something I haven't done in the past but going to give it a whirl. I'll also preface it by saying please don't answer on the thread with units or locations. I know how I feel when people are asking about elk and "my" units come up. If you are willing to help please answer via pm or I'll send my email or phone number.

On a "whim" my hunting partner and I decided to go to MT archery elk hunting this year. Archery elk is nothing new to us, we've both done it for a number of years, both solo and as partners. Always DIY, public land. My definition of DIY is no guides or outfitters. We've both been very successful harvesting multiple bulls. When I say on a whim I mean a last second change. Every year we spend a minimum of two weeks in the mountains somewhere chasing bulls. We didn't draw anything this year so we had planned on going to our OTC Colorado area....well on that whim we decided to try an area that we scouted via Google Earth, in Montana. That area was 334. We were there for a week. In my time I never seen an elk, herd an elk, or saw an elk track in the snow. Elk wise, it was the most frustrating trip I had ever been on. That said we were there blind (which had never been a problem in other areas) and mainly the weather was horrible.

We pulled up stakes with a week remaining and headed to CO for the OTC unit we hunt. We didn't tag anything but were into bulls everyday except one.

Now being back in WI for a few days, having some time to think, we are trying to put together a hunt for rifle season. We still have our unused ($900) tags. (I know this is Bowsite) Neither of us have ever rifle hunted elk, but we are both looking at putting some meat in the freezer and trying something new with this hunt.

I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to point out some possibilities to start researching for a hunt like this. I'm thinking the weather could be pretty nasty by then so not sure what to expect as far as bivy hunting in and setting camp, or trying to truck hunt out of base camp, or a hotel style hunt. We always backpack in to wilderness areas for archery hunting so this could be a whole new game for us.

Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

02-Oct-15
Lima and Dillon area in south west can produce lots of meat and kill a cow elk with general elk license

03-Oct-15
Don't feel to bad spent 7 days and 126 miles on foot. Plus I have a sister and her husband who live in the area I hunted who helped all week. Drainage after drainage that had always held Elk in the past. One spike first evening then 25 Elk on the last morning (permitted area I did not draw). Montana from what I have heard was very, very tough this year. Full moon and 90 degree temps the third week of September is never good.

04-Oct-15
Different year is a understatement. I have been able to kill a elk Every year with my bow in Montana. I never even had a single opportunity this year. I was limited on time but not one chance. Saw plenty heard lots just no chances for me or my group.

Les I am out of town now but will be in touch when I get home. Going to have to break out the rifle myself. Hunt

05-Oct-15
I spent the entire month of September (12 hunting days) in my usual haunts - 3 separate spots that had always held elk - and didn't see squat and all of the sign was old. I moved to an area new to me but literally one mile and one small ridge from one of my normal haunts and it was lights out. Elk bugling until noon, finding bulls every day and at least one blown opportunity a day.

I have no idea why such a short distance and one ridge make such a difference.

Patrick

06-Oct-15
Thanks guys, it was a tough hunt for sure. Still researching rifle options.

06-Oct-15
I am in the middle of a 16 day hunt. Usually have great luck getting on elk. Been extremely frustrating, been putting up to 15 miles a day on the horses trying to locate elk, and countless miles on the boots. They seem to have vanished. Had a couple encounters, but nothing I've been able to drop the string on. Don't know what's going on, but it sure is frustrating! Hopefully something breaks loose soon. Been talking with my hunting partner about the rifle as well. Wow.... Bout all I can say......

07-Oct-15
Hunted almost the entire month of September in an area where we usually see 5 to 10 elk per day and have bugling bulls most days. This year, maybe 10 bugling elk and 20 sightings (other than the 100 plus seen twice on private land) for the entire 22 day hunting trip! Totally perplexed as to what's so different about the 2015 hunting season.

07-Oct-15
I actually killed my bull in 334. Respectable 6x6. But we started in 321 and ended in 334. Previous last few years were spent in New Mexico with excellent hunting. The hunting for us this year was absolutely terrible. We hiked into some places that I can't imagine many or if anyone would had been this year. Zero elk sign in some pretty remote places or what was there was a couple weeks old. How ever we stopped at a unit on our way home for a day scouting trip just to see if it was worth hunting. Wish we would have been there the entire hunt! Multiple big Bulls really bugling!!!!

23-Oct-15
56 miles spent over the third week of September. I ran into a guy from Laurel bow hunting. The entire week my sister (from Columbus area) and I seen him and 1 spike bull in an area that should have held a ton of Elk as it traditionally has. Thanksgiving is at her house this year so I am going to give the area another try then. However I would really like to meet some guys from Montana who might want to hunt Kansas Muleys or Whitetails some day and do a little hunting togather.

28-Oct-15
part of the blame for not seeing the numbers of elk we are used to seeing in the past is there just are less elk. the elk objective numbers for each hunting district in Montana dictates the number of elk that an area can have, the landowners only want to tolerate so many elk so the MT FWP has been killing them off for the past 10 years and it is going to get worse. thousands of B licenses have been issued and the FWP wants to extend the seasons to kill off even more cow elk. I know the area's I hunt have far less elk than in the past,

05-Dec-15
I think people watch too many hunting shows and think every trip out here is going to be a slam dunk.I know guys who live in the hills they hunt,know the elk better than anyone around and dont kill a bull every year,enjoy the hunt and dont get hung up on the kill,if $900 is too much to spend without a guaranteed archery kill stick to CO.

07-Dec-15
Over Thanksgiving week hunted pretty hard given the conditions. I hunted the area I was at in September looking for a bull/cow or Spike and again no sign except for Bad Canyon. I met three guys packing Bulls out and they had pretty much the same experience in the Drainage I was hunting so they moved in a lot further.

Lucky to have about 12,000 acres of low lying private ground I can cow hunt on as I did not draw the Bull tag for the unit. 6-miles in I decided to make the loop and head back towards the truck on the last day. I kept thinking if I had only gone over one more ridge there they would be there. Well they were not. Sometime between Sunday when my Nephew killed his Elk and me getting there on Tuesday the entire herd of about 200 crossed the River and were up on the neighbors. Always a fun hunt and good times with sis and her family. Hunting Montana for $900 is a much better option than Colorado (which I hunt every year anyhow) just because of the family time and the access to that much Private ground.

Time will come soon to put in for the draw, hoping to get the new series Tag that will let you hunt Bulls in 199 districts I think.

08-Dec-15
what tag is that???

22-Dec-15
Should have read 19 districts not 199. 900 series or something like that is was my brother in law was talking about. Breaks, Durfee hills and many other good districts. I will have to ask him more about it. They have land in the breaks and he flys into the Durfee hills with a friend.

24-Dec-15
That sounds believable!Supposedly there will be more access out there this year.

25-Jan-16
"I think people watch too many hunting shows and think every trip out here is going to be a slam dunk.I know guys who live in the hills they hunt,know the elk better than anyone around and dont kill a bull every year,enjoy the hunt and dont get hung up on the kill,if $900 is too much to spend without a guaranteed archery kill stick to CO."

If this is directed at me, you are way off base. I didn't say anything about my tags costing too much, my knowledge of elk, my ability to hunt elk, or wanting a "guaranteed" hunt. I was just looking to try something new (rifle hunting) and get some ideas......which I'm glad you so graciously helped out with.

18-Feb-16
Schindler: I think you need to thank the wolf for the decreased number of elk in the big picture, especially in the western half of MT. From what I have seen, elk continue to expand their range into new areas where I am hunting.

18-Feb-16
Not even close to accurate Seminole, b licenses, HB42 and poor objectives have and will kill more elk then predators ever will.

18-Feb-16
tjones: I am not for b licenses either. That is certainly the wrong time of year to hunt elk. But you have to be living under a rock if you think wolves have not made an impact in western Montana on elk.

Again, where I bow hunted in Montana, the herd is expanding.

18-Feb-16
For many Elk Management Units, it's the objective numbers established not by sound wildlife management, but by tolerance to elk, along with a legislative mandate to issue lots of elk B tags to significantly reduce elk numbers. This mandate and associated increase in harvesting cow elk came at the same time wolves, bears, and lions increased in numbers and in predation impact of elk numbers. To blame the decrease in elk numbers strictly on wolves is not an accurate assessment.

18-Feb-16
Seminole I have lived in western Montana for 56 years, been involved in the wolf issue before most knew it was an issue. You must live out of state, under a rock, and get your info from Lobo Watch if you think wolves are top of the list for any elk decline. Google Bitterroot elk study as a hint. Oh and listen to SA.

19-Feb-16
In some areas it is the wolves,cats have a big impact in some areas and not so much in others.

19-Feb-16
"In some areas it is the wolves,cats have a big impact in some areas and not so much in others."

'Sounds like another one of those highly scientific glittering generalities which provided a rationale for implementing the shoulder seasons.

21-Feb-16
Siminole, if the area you hunted stays as good in future I will be shocked. There's going to be a six month season with multiple tags available coming up shortly. Looks like you've drank the cool-aid from several people that aren't very knowledgeable.

22-Feb-16
SS: Oh no, You have only yourself to blame. You voted by referendum allot of changes all on your own that put you in the hurt box so keep sucking down your own cool aid my friend.

Lets hope the bill (HB 42) that your referring to with a (legislature that you elected)does not pass. If you care to read above, I am not for b-licenses. Your Commission made an additional bad decision to expand the shoulder season in many districts. But hey, at least those decisions were all made by residents so you own it.

Meanwhile enjoy the sausage factory we call the legislative process.

22-Feb-16
Seminole, HB 42 is only referred to as a bill to identify Sen Barrett and the anti-elk, anti-hunting position of that the legislator/rancher/elk hater. The bill was passed several sessions ago and is now state statute with which FWP must comply. As you know the problem is with the poorly developed elk objective numbers being way too low. Having bantered back and forth with you on this site previously, I am confident your intent is good and you have the right hunting and wildlife values. However, what gets you in trouble is your expression of opinions seemingly passed on from your outfitter of choice, without your being well informed about the issue being discussed. If I were enamored with Florida and monitoring a Florida hunting forum, I would attempt to read, understand, and learn ... without necessarily opining from a distance. 'Just sayin.

22-Feb-16
Straight arrow: My outfitter of choice does not mentor or discuss these issues with me, but I appreciate your concern for my ability to think on my own. One day we may be neighbors, who knows, but since I hunt in Montana, I have just as much a vested interest in the hunting outcomes as you. I am just here to learn just like you. Montana has it's own problems, just like Florida.

Case in Point: We just had our first bear season in over two decades. The result was a bunch PETA people petitioning our FWC under our public record laws for every individual who received a bear tag and then began harassing them with phone calls, posting their place of residence, and e-mailing them as well. We even had a few idiots actually demonstrate in front of hunter's homes while calling them murderers. Needless to say I have a thick skin... ;)

To the point: It was just my observation that where I was hunting numbers of elk seem to have increased both (public and private) over the last five years there, when I was side swiped by those who thought I was pushing some kind of agenda. I am not. It was just a factual observation. So maybe things get lost in the mail or in this case translation.

22-Feb-16
Don't misunderstand, Seminole; your attitude and concern about hunting is appreciated. Just be aware that at a time in Montana when we have a huge macrocosm of issues unfolding not in the best interests of hunting and wildlife across the vast mountains, valleys, plains, grasslands, and badlands of this state ... and you make a microcosm anecdotal remark about how good things are in the little outfitter spot you hunt and you make it from the far distant state of Florida ... it is not well received by the local audience. 'Not meant as a criticism; merely to give you a realistic perspective. Again I suggest you listen and learn, and then get involved to help if you can .... because obviously you are vested.

23-Feb-16
Understood. I want to also clarify something you said above in an inference. My outfitter does not make up my opinions on your state. I get that first hand and sometimes from you. I have heard many of you chastise outfitters, but in my "microcosm", my outfitter put several locals on some trophy bulls during gun season at zero cost. In typical Montana fashion, he would never bring attention to the fact, but in light of some of the perceived opinions on outfitters, I believe it necessary to bring it up. One was a local woman who was in her 70's who drew a tag. She trained all summer and she was able to harvest a wonderful bull with a rifle. Same went for a young kid who drew his first bull tag in town. He didn't charge them a dime and he never would. Many here think that I hunt specifically private property. Truth be known we hunted just as much public as private. Everyone had the same access we did. It was a great bow hunt this last fall and I enjoyed every second. In some ways public land was better depending on the species. We also hunted on a landowner's property who gave permission to both residents and nonresidents alike with a handshake, smile, and a thank you in return.

Straight arrow: I will do my best to invest, and one day hope to migrate from my state of 20 million to the anonymity of the mountains of Montana. All I ask is that when you make drastic changes to law, you also keep in mind those nonresidents who want to hunt in your state.

23-Feb-16
Again an anecdotal microcosm. Montana sportsmen admire and respect the legitimate outfitters and guides; they are a critical part of the tourism and hunting/wildlife preservation of this state. Unfortunately, the past decade has witnessed the evolution of "access outfitters", many of whom tarnish the reputation of the professionals.

Most residents welcome the NR hunters and realize the importance of you NR hunters to promote the legacy and also to support our "welfare" state.

Anecdotally, some of the most enjoyable hunting trips for me have been with NRs visiting our state. My personal position has always been on holding stable the tag costs for NRs and implementing periodic increases for us residents. We who live here get to continuously enjoy hunting ... with bow, rifle, camera, binoculars all year round and should support that opportunity financially as well as by being involved with the FWP and (now too often) legislative processes which effect wildlife and hunting. Pack up and migrate as soon as you can ... come here and get involved ... hunters and the elk need more support. You ain't getting any younger!

23-Feb-16
Sounds good,price the low income family's out of the game so you and your out of state friends can enjoy the woods without them hindering your experience.Speaking anecdotally of course.If you dont like the way things are done here why dont you move to UT for a while,the come back here and tell us how screwed up it is.

23-Feb-16
BTW there is nothing myself or any of my hunting friends admire about outfitters.

23-Feb-16
I thought there were plenty of elk to go around, hence the shoulder seasons in some areas? Are the outfitters the ones hammering the pregnant cows?

23-Feb-16
"If you dont like the way things are done here why dont you move to UT for a while,the come back here and tell us how screwed up it is."

Sonny boy on-the=edge, my grandparents homesteaded here and I've been enjoying the hunting and fishing here for over five decades, with only a brief vacation to put my a$$ on the line a couple times in Viet Nam, and with a Hunter Safety Card dated Aug 1957 ... so don't presume to tell me how good things are in Montana. They are the best hunting opportunity of any state ... and it's due to the MBA, RMEF, Montana WF, BHA, Montana Hunter Alliance, many other influential organizations ... and even outfitters. So whatever or whoever put that chip on your shoulder .... take it somewhere else!

26-Feb-16
Straight arrow you should start your own page so you can get rid of the guys who dont agree with you.Jodie,the outfitters tie the land up so they can sell off the money bulls to out of state hunters then leave the land owner to deal with the herd,so they cry to the F&G and they come up with this lovely solution for MT residents to deal with.

26-Feb-16
Not so surprisingly the lack of respect is exceeded only by the lack of informed reality regarding hunting issues in Montana and how I personally view them.

BTW, who in the heck is this "Jodie" guy, Joe?

27-Feb-16
Straight Arrow: I believe we are dealing with a road hunter here....

Lets let him continue to rest in the mud. It's what he enjoys.

28-Feb-16
"... rest in the mud." LIFEALONGTHEDGE name is Joe Dirte .... apropos!

29-Feb-16
Like I said start your own and you can get rid of everyone who has a difference of opinion,until then get bent.Seminole go troll a forum in your own state,for a guy that posts pics of elk taken from the road you really need to rethink your choice of insults,I put on more miles in the hills of MT in a single month of preseason scouting than you ever will.

01-Mar-16
The good news Straight Arrow: In my travels across Montana, people still greet you with a smile and a firm handshake.

Internet cowboys will always find ways to hide behind the keyboard, but true Montanan's don't hide behind pseudonyms or avatars. They are true to their word and their world.

From time to time we may agree to disagree, but in the end, we are all hunters; and the Yellowstone River runs through it... ;)

01-Mar-16
What's the point of this post?

• Sitka Gear