Crusader dad 02-Oct-15
live2hunt 02-Oct-15
Novice 02-Oct-15
joseywales44 02-Oct-15
RUGER1022 02-Oct-15
WausauDug 02-Oct-15
Per48R 02-Oct-15
01-Oct-15
For those of you who hunt public land, how do you usually do it? Ground blind? Hang on? Climber? I always wonder with a climber or hang on, doesn't it take a lot of time and make a lot of noise if you bring that in and set it up before the hunt? Also, wouldn't you only be able to do this in the afternoon when you have light?

Thanks!

01-Oct-15
A lot of public land does not allow hang on stands over night so putting one up and taking it down every day is a chore. I hate blinds because you cant hear anything and seeing out sucks too (but I do use one when needed). You just don't have the awareness in a blind as if sitting in a tree. I use a climber on public land mostly. It does take an extra few minutes and finding a tree is usually a challenge but I have no problem using it in the dark and using it quietly (Lone Wolf). There are times when a climber is simply out of the question then you have to ask yourself what is the next best option.

01-Oct-15
I'll be honest with you. Most people hang the stand and leave it. But to each of there own. I'll say if you are the one to take your stand down after each time you climb down you'd be best to ground hunt. That is effective and makes for great hunting. Find what works for you. Good luck to you.

01-Oct-15
I disagree, my last two WI public land archery bucks resepctively score in the 160's, and 170's......both shot out of a LW climber hung on that hunt....easy to use, quick, and quiet.

01-Oct-15
I've been hunting with a climber for more than 20 years and it's pretty easy to setup quietly. I have used ground blinds in some locations, typically brushy fence lines where a stand is not possible. This is the main reason I got a crossbow, for hunting from the ground in natural blinds on public land. I missed one of my largest bucks to date last year hunting from the ground on public land. I don't blame the bow since I misjudged the distance and he ducked. Had I not misjudged it would've been a high hit, so in a way I'm glad it was a clean miss.

I will never have a chance at that location ever again. It was truly a honey hole, a wooded pond next to a bedding area. The area was overlooked because it was just too thick and dense. Deer were coming to drink all throughout the day.The entire area was clearcut for Oak Savannah restoration and the piece was just acquired 2-3 years ago.

01-Oct-15
I am fortunate to hunt public land (National Forest and County lands) that allows stands left up through hunting season. I place a few stands out and also build some ground blinds out of native vegetation. I do not like pop up blinds so only use them if it is bad weather.

01-Oct-15
Thanks for the responses.

I've never used a climber before, but would definitely consider it. My only concern is, don't you need to find a tree that doesn't have any limbs until after where you're going to sit in it?

01-Oct-15
I use a climber, but have scouted the areas ahead of time and have my trees marked on GPS. As far as those that illegally leave stands up. I mark those on GPS also, and give the coordinates the the area warden.

01-Oct-15
Climber - yes, you need to find a few good potential trees without limbs, etc in the way. It's good to have a few spots in case someone is near your usual tree so you can have a backup plan. It's not too loud to setup but it can be a pain to haul in through thick stuff, standing water, etc. You technically can't leave it in the woods but that is what some do (hide it near your tree in tall grass or something). Also, I think most County forests allow you to leave stands up if you put your name on it. I'm doing that this year in Lincoln County.

01-Oct-15
I generally always use a climber. A lot of the trees in the area I hunt allow its use. I have a hang on with sticks that I use very seldom and only if I find a good spot that doesn't have a climbable tree.

Happy Hunting Dan

01-Oct-15
I've talked with wardens about the hang on stands hunters leave out. And what they do about it. The two of them laughed and said we have such a large area to work with. We don't care to take them down unless it's a scaffle or something out of the ordinary.

01-Oct-15
I use climbing sticks and a hang on when I hunt public land. Yes I bring them out every time in and out of the woods. So do my clients. I also use ladder stands when needed. Yes it's a lot of work, but worth the effort for me.

As far as someone leaving their stand in the woods, I find one or two every year, call the DNR tip line and the warden calls me back for the location. Funny how someone will leave a nice hang on in the woods when it's actually not that hard to take it down and out of the woods. If you are taking down your climbing sticks you might as well take down your stand.

Yeah it's a pin in the butt, but it's the law....

02-Oct-15
I mostly hunt my own land, but with nearly 5000 acres of county land bordering mine, I do on occasion go over to the public land. I have a API climber, and I am a large man (6'2", over 300#) and so it can be a workout for an old fatty like me, but even in morning darkness, it's usually pretty easy for me to find a poplar tree to climb. However a few times, I got to the area I wanted, and I could not find a tree suitable in the darkness. In those cases, I just climb up as high as the closest tree allows 4-8 feet, and wait for sun up. I will then visually scout for a better tree, and if its close, I will move then, or wait, depending on the deer movement.

Considering I get stands stolen off my own land, I would NEVER leave a stand overnight on the public land.

02-Oct-15
I like to ground hunt in a deadfall about 30 yds from a swamp edge if I can find a good exit/entry point to the swamp. I get inside the deadfall and use my small clippers to trim out what's in my way. I've had deer come within five yards of me with no idea I was even there.

02-Oct-15
99% of the time I use my climber and now, 100% of the time I'm on public land. Find the fresh sign and hunt it. Watch out during the rut, many times now while climbing the tree with the climber,it has called in bucks. Sometimes I've gotten the shot, sometimes I'm hanging on the side of the tree looking at my bow on the ground.

02-Oct-15
I don't hunt public land much (lease), but I use my LW climber more than prehung stands. It allows me a lot of flexibility. I also carry a folding hand saw and clippers (gray wolf woolens custom pants come with lots of pocket options. ) Small limbs, no problem. I saw/clip on the climb up. As long as the branches aren't a huge diameter & there are not a ton of them, they aren't a big deal. The climber is easy to use even in the dark & quiet. No squeaks. As l2h said, sometimes it will even call in deer. Sounds like a buck making a rub, as you ascend /descend at times. Definitely one of the best hunting purchases I have made.

02-Oct-15

joseywales44's Link
Yes, climbers can be the way to go. I was actually leaving one out on Public Land in central wisconsin where I hunt but found out it's even illegal to leave a stand hidden at base of tree. So now I usually just hunt from the ground on public hunting land. Less work!

02-Oct-15
Lincoln county - I hunt out of ground blinds in my 3 public land spots that are made out of dead falls . I have a nice advantage , 2 out of the 3 spots are rolling hills . Setup correct its the same as hunting from a high treestand .

02-Oct-15
The best stand is the first time you hunt it. There is nothing more satisfying than putting your stand on your back, going into a new area, finding a spot and shooting a buck.

02-Oct-15
Climber or back into brush/pines and bring a good stool.

• Sitka Gear